7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

This is off any topic but since the combined experience at this forum is like 1,000,000 years, I thought a good place to ask!!! (Not saying anyone is OLD.....:D
So I have my STW being built on a winny model 70 that I will top with a NF 5x22x56. Also have a savage 6.5x284 that I will have a NF 5.5x22x50 on it. What rings and rail should I buy for each?I think the NF rings will be the key, but do I need a NF rail? I also do not think I need a 20 MOA rail as these 2 will not be the 1000 yarders.... that is for the Lapua....

Then, I have a weatherby 257 coming.. Need a scope and mount and all for that... Was thinking about a NF 3-15 from Bob Beck....in fact I am Darn near saying I'll take the scope..
So, please input would be appreciated...and experience...
I see a level built into a rail at:
http://xtremehardcoregear.com/tru_level_pic_rail.html

ANy thoughts??? Wonder if Len has any feedback on these or anyone else...
Like I said, interested in ya'lls experience...
Thanks

Mario
If you are gonna use NF rings I Personally would use the NF rail also......Most all rails are mil spec with a few exceptions( The really cheap stuff)Burris makes a really great rail and ring combo as does Leupold, I have never used NF Rings but Im sure they are top shelf
and as for the 20moa rail you can never go wrong using it.....My thought on that is better to have it than to need and wish you had it....Glad to see your building on a Winchester action.....I love Em

You'll find that NF has tighter specs with their products, so why bother with the cheaper stuff, stick with the best gun)
You won't regret it.:D

I have a question about Amax's.
I ordered some to try in my custom when I get it done.
They are 162 gr, I am wondering what twist barrels you guys are shooting them through. My new Kreiger barrel is 1-9" but I see on the Amax box , they recommend 1-8"
I'm basically at sea level, 700-800 feet.
Will they work?

Thanks in advance.

Lots of guys on here are shooting 180gr Bergers out of stock Sendero barrels with good results. Stock Sendero SF barrels are 9.25" twist.

I can't see why the 162's wouldn't perform perfect.

They are 162 gr, I am wondering what twist barrels you guys are shooting them through. My new Kreiger barrel is 1-9" but I see on the Amax box , they recommend 1-8"
Will they work?

Thanks in advance.

Should be no problems with a quality brand barrel in a 1/9 twist.:cool:

Will they work?

Thanks in advance.

Fire306, I don't believe you will have any issues with the 162 AMax. I have used it in most all of my " 7 " bores, and they re one of the most accurate bullets out there, and yes they work good on game.
The original A Max, in that weight is quite longer, and will not stabilize in a 1-9 twist. It REALLY does need the full 1-8 twist to make it work. The one you have I'm sure is the newer version, and it will work just fine. Enjoy, and take care! :cool:

Guys,

I am looking for some input from some of you. I am in getting ready to develope a load for my sako stw. It has the detachable box. I am going to try and shoot 162gr Hornady SST I am going to load 5 rds of RL 25 in 78,79, & 80 5 rds of retumbo @ 82, 83,84 and 4 rds of H1000@ 81 gr. I just checked he lengths of my balls of the lands and I'm right at OAL of 3.72 My question is, Are my balls set to far out? I have seen from some others that they are around 3.5 to 3.675

thanks for you feedback in advance

Guys,

I am looking for some input from some of you. I am in getting ready to develope a load for my sako stw. It has the detachable box. I am going to try and shoot 162gr Hornady SST I am going to load 5 rds of RL 25 in 78,79, & 80 5 rds of retumbo @ 82, 83,84 and 4 rds of H1000@ 81 gr. I just checked he lengths of my balls of the lands and I'm right at OAL of 3.72 My question is, Are my balls set to far out? I have seen from some others that they are around 3.5 to 3.675

Thats impressive but how long are your bullets?:D haha sorry i couldnt resist!! LOL i am ROFL. That was too funny, thanks for the good laugh, i needed that.:D:D I am guessing auto-correct is the culprit. Please dont take this the wrong way.

Guys,

Just make sure you have some jump in there .......You dont want them against the lands

Guys,

Moto, one word of caution on the Sako, although you CAN run your bullets longer in the Sako, then a Remington, or Winchester, the only problem is that if you run them all the way out to full box length , you will not be able to eject a LIVE round. I had a Sako 75 V action, in 7 STW, and that happened to me. I enjoyed being able to stretch them out there, but found out that it is difficult to remove a live should that occur. I think I had to stay inside 3.700. I could go to 3.705, but could remove a live one. I found this out when I was making dummies for seating, and OAL when I first got it.
For some reason, it will not let you pull the bolt when you have a round engaged into the bolt!
Other then that, mine was very accurate, and the barrel cleaned like a dream. Enjoy!

Moto450,
I agree with 7STW, if you seat them way out there you will start having trouble ejecting a live round. My Sako 75 the max I could get into the magazine was 3.700" and the live rounds would still eject when needed.
One thing I would suggest when trying loads is to try ladder testing. It saves running countless rounds down the barrel just to get through load development.
5 rounds of each load starts adding up your round count very quickly, and unless you have really good patience to spread out each of those 5 shots, the thin factory barrel heats up terribly through a 5 shot string.
For what its worth as well, my Sako 75 loved H1000 right at 80gr with 160gr Accubonds. I couldn't get the velocity where I wanted with Retumbo.