7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

What is Y'all's thoughts on a Remington Model 700 SPS in 7mm STW Caliber. Factory New in Box. 26" matte black barrel. Black synthetic stock with grey hogue overmold. Xmark pro trigger.

Can this be worked up and maybe made into a great shooter??
And what will it cost to make it such a shooter???

Thanks

I have not tried 140 nosler ballistic tips in my STW. Have any of you guys got a good load to try
Thanks
I did years ago. It's too fast for the NBT's and I had serious problems with breakup on impact. Damned sure killed them but man what a mess! For dear it was great, for big hogs it was a non starter.

I'd strongly sugget moving up to the 150gr SiroccoII or the Hornady Interbond, or of course the venerable Nosler Accubond. With the new Accubond LRH bullets coming out this spring We're about to have an opportunity to take the 7mm STW into a whole new realm too.

nosler2013.jpg

I cannot wait!

What is Y'all's thoughts on a Remington Model 700 SPS in 7mm STW Caliber. Factory New in Box. 26" matte black barrel. Black synthetic stock with grey hogue overmold. Xmark pro trigger.

Thanks
It's their "Yugo" model except it's still the same 700 action we all love.

Yes it's a good starter. Yes you can get all the normal aftermarket things to improve it.

I'd start with just getting it floated and bedded, get the trigger lapped and adjusted. Lap the lugs.

The shoot it and see if you can find a load that works well for you. I'd definitely suggest a good muzzle brake as well because in such a light rig it can be a bruiser. Simms Limbsaver Recoil pad definitely.

If it shoots well enough after all that then you are off to the races and if you want to upgrade from there the sky is the limit.

Thanks

Yo marioq, FWIW, there are a few members hear that have went down that road, and had a " fit" with that gun. The QC issues are awful nowadays, and it's a shooting match, ( pardon the pun ) , about the quality of the barrel, and action. The samples that I have seen and heard of were pretty rough to say the least. It can be made to shoot, but it sucks to but a gun, then spend half a fortune just to make it shoot. One member here, nearly pulled out his hair, and wrapped that gun around a tree more times then a few!!! I could be wrong, but I think he gave up on it, as I haven't seen any posts from him since. I'm just saying, BUYER BEWARE, and FYI.

Thanks
Im with my partner in crime 7STW on this one I would pass on it ......all of them I have seen are junk .....Big green went from gunsmithing to Blacksmithing as of late, the chambers and lands look the have been run over with a bottom plow .......Like I said if it was me I would pass

Thanks

Im with my partner in crime 7STW on this one I would pass on it ......all of them I have seen are junk .....Big green went from gunsmithing to Blacksmithing as of late, the chambers and lands look the have been run over with a bottom plow .......Like I said if it was me I would pass

Ditto on what my Buddies "7STW" and "ButterBean" said.

I would check-out the Sako M995 TRG-S 7mm STW that bobs is selling.

Marioq - I also have a very nice Sako M995 TRG-S for sale, in our caliber, of course. PM me if you would like the info on it.

marioq,

I like Remingtons, Not the new ones, but the older ones when Quality Control wasn't a big issue. When I go about building a new one, I always cruise the Pawn Shops and gun and find a Diamond in the rough. I've found several early 1970's vintage rifles that were in great shape, but showed the signs of being carried and not fired much at all. I even found one that didn't have swivel studs, That one looks brand new but was built in 71.

What I'm getting at is that there are a lot of older Remys that are out there because people are dumping them to buy the "latest and greatest new thing" for people like me they are what I look for to build off of. Most of them are .30-06s ad I do find 7mm Rem mags. Look for one of those... (a BDL if possible)

Remington has ony the 2 action lengths. A 7stw will fit into the mag of a 7mm Rem Mag and will feed perfectly. I would suggest a new barrel in a medium to heavy contour at least 26" with a 1-9" twist , install a Timney or Jewel trigger (or a complete trigger Job) and a New stock. Have the smith clean up the action while he's at it.

I can't bring myself to buy the new stuff when the older stuff is much better anyway..

Those Sakos are Sweet rifles! If you can.... buy one of those. That Rifle of bobs .... Well let's say that I'd buy it if I had the funds.....

Dan

Now that's comparying a Yugo to a Ferrari!

I knew these were indeed the bottom of what Remington produces but I'd not heard the quality issues were so severe.

Wild Rose, this latest production run of those SPS's are junk dude. I think they used a chainsaw file to lap the barrels!!!! If you run a patch through one, it will come out shredded.
I have been a Remington man the majority of my life, but I'll not buy another NEW one. I'll buy used and older ones, that I can figure out when they were made though!!
Check out the Remington Quality thread, in this section, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Just wanted to send out a message to all the "Brothers" and wish everyone a MERRY CHRISTMAS, and a wonderful NEW YEAR. There are some lasting friendships here, that will survive this thread for sure. For most here, it has been a good year, but for us all, it has ended in a bad way. BLESS all of those folks, and the children!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE, FROM ME AND MINE..
7STW and Family.

marioq,

i like remingtons, not the new ones, but the older ones when quality control wasn't a big issue. When i go about building a new one, i always cruise the pawn shops and gun and find a diamond in the rough. I've found several early 1970's vintage rifles that were in great shape, but showed the signs of being carried and not fired much at all. I even found one that didn't have swivel studs, that one looks brand new but was built in 71.

What i'm getting at is that there are a lot of older remys that are out there because people are dumping them to buy the "latest and greatest new thing" for people like me they are what i look for to build off of. Most of them are .30-06s ad i do find 7mm rem mags. Look for one of those... (a bdl if possible)

remington has ony the 2 action lengths. A 7stw will fit into the mag of a 7mm rem mag and will feed perfectly. I would suggest a new barrel in a medium to heavy contour at least 26" with a 1-9" twist , install a timney or jewel trigger (or a complete trigger job) and a new stock. Have the smith clean up the action while he's at it.

I can't bring myself to buy the new stuff when the older stuff is much better anyway..

Those sakos are sweet rifles! If you can.... Buy one of those. That rifle of bobs .... Well let's say that i'd buy it if i had the funds.....

Dan

ditto + 1