7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Greetings fellow 7mm STW owners. I thought it was about time to get on this forum.

My STW is a rechambered Stainless Sendero 7mm Rem Mag. I've been shooting the 7mm STW cartridge for about 12 years now. I just dropped off a 700 LSS today to get the 7mm STW treatment. My gunsmith has built several since he did mine years ago. Mine was the first he did. He still shows the three shot group I gave him when I was first developing loads, with three 140 Ballistic Tips in 1.403" at 300 meters using 7828 powder. We thought that was pretty decent for a factory barreled hunting rifle. My hunting load these days is the 160 Accubond behind RL-25 powder. Consistent 1/3 moa at 400 yards.

Merry Christmas fellow STW fans.

What velocity should I be looking for with the 180 VLD and the 168 in the 7 STW? I am getting about 3080 fps with the 180 with 75 grains of Rl 25
That depends on a lot of factors not the least of which is your barrel length. RL 25 is a great slow burning powder that performs best in barrels 26" and up typically.

Mine is 28 inches. So far it has been the most accurate rifle I have ever shot. I am kind of new to reloading and just trying to figure out what velocity would be good for the 180 and 168 to be able to shoot long distance. I just built a range at 500!and soon hope to extend it out to 1000. Expensive way to be able to shoot farther than my local club range of 100 yards but it is a great hobby.

Mine is 28 inches. So far it has been the most accurate rifle I have ever shot. I am kind of new to reloading and just trying to figure out what velocity would be good for the 180 and 168 to be able to shoot long distance. I just built a range at 500!and soon hope to extend it out to 1000. Expensive way to be able to shoot farther than my local club range of 100 yards but it is a great hobby.
I know guys that spend many times what you are investing just on playing golf.

Ever try smoked golf ball?

gun)

Owning the land and having that freedom and a great hobby like this is an investment. You've not wasted 1 penny. I spent 6000 on a golf trip to Scotland and it was fun, but I've only got pictures. This year I bought an 82 acre Timber and recreation property and I am building a range too. I'm feeling better about it every day!

You guys are lucky. I only have about a half acre. Would love to have land close to hunt on, hike, fish, camp, well, just to be out in.

I did just join an outdoor club near me, they are about 10 minutes from my house. but due to hunting, the range is closed for some time. I still have not shot the new Winchester 7mm STW that I bought from Butterbean, just working to much too.

Here is my newest thought:
I have a 7mm from huskavarna that is old but butter action. Only has maybe 100 rounds through it. Can I find a smith to bore it out to a 7mmstw?? Better yet, replace the barrel and put it on a fiberglass stock with a break? Y'all know anyone that can do this? Or does it make more sense to buy a new one?? Just thinking of options

What velocity should I be looking for with the 180 VLD and the 168 in the 7 STW? I am getting about 3080 fps with the 180 with 75 grains of Rl 25

I took a factory 7 mag SPS and had it rechambered for the STW and set back a few threads, with a Gentry muzzle break installed bell and carlson medalist stock and timney trigger.

Pet Load is 78.2 grains retumbo CCI mag primers and 168 grain VLD. Averaged at 3050 fps and groups consistently 1.5 inches or under at 200 yards for several seasons now.
Has a good deal of midrange (400 yards +/-) coyotes under it's belt, an antelope and a mule deer. At 440 yards you can cover my 5 shot group with a credit card if I dont flub it.

Greetings fellow 7mm STW owners. I thought it was about time to get on this forum.

My STW is a rechambered Stainless Sendero 7mm Rem Mag. I've been shooting the 7mm STW cartridge for about 12 years now. I just dropped off a 700 LSS today to get the 7mm STW treatment. My gunsmith has built several since he did mine years ago. Mine was the first he did. He still shows the three shot group I gave him when I was first developing loads, with three 140 Ballistic Tips in 1.403" at 300 meters using 7828 powder. We thought that was pretty decent for a factory barreled hunting rifle. My hunting load these days is the 160 Accubond behind RL-25 powder. Consistent 1/3 moa at 400 yards.

Merry Christmas fellow STW fans.

Cornfield Flats, first of all, Welcome to the " Brotherhood". I have came to realize, that once you fall in love with the STW, you are hooked for life, and no one can talk you out of it. It sounds like you have the multi- gun sickness that a few of us here have too. That is some mighty fine shooting, and a mighty fine rifle as well. ( rifleS, that is ).
This web thread is testament to it's worth, and the fact that Remington is now offering brass again is something too. Wouldnt it be great if Norma or Lapua would introduce it? That seems to be the only if any issue right now, is a consistent brass source, that is good, and lasts awhile. I have had great luck with Winchester brass, and am on my last 2 boxes. Your powder choices and bullet weights are spot on. 7828 for the 140's, and RL25 for the 160's. Perfect .
Well, happy hunting, and shooting, and have a Wonderful Holiday Season.

I have not tried 140 nosler ballistic tips in my STW. Have any of you guys got a good load to try
Thanks
I'd go with the a-bond personally(tougher), but about 81-82 of rl25 and a 215 will do you well in rem brass with either the b-tip or a-bond in 140 grain. 75 -77 grains rl22 may do well too.

gerryb,
I use the Nosler 140 BT with 82.0 H1000 for 3350, Fed 215 (Pact Pro chrony) in my old Sendero; 1/2 inch @ 100 yds, easy.

Jim

They're beautiful rifles so if you like all else on it, re-barrel, have the smith make a cap and a muzzle break. The cap should be able to come off the new barrel before he crowns it. Good Luck.

Merry Christmas.