7mm PRC

I just got back from my field. I ran from 69.5 grains up to 71.5 grains of Staball HD with the 175 ELD-Xs, and got a 71.1gr load velocity 2850 out of my 22" barrel. Hit primer pressure signs at 71.5 gr. Now I'm going to try RL-25.

Seems like the 175-180 may do better than the 195 in the PRC, but I haven't run the numbers.
Does the 195 need more HP behind it?

How long of barrel?
26 inch Barrel. Book shows 67,4 is max and 2900 fps. So extra barrel helps. Book is done with a 24 inch barrel. I tend to be soft behind the gun too. My buddy shoots my rifle and gets 40 fps faster as he leans more into it. he gets the same es/sd type of numbers too.

26 inch Barrel. Book shows 67,4 is max and 2900 fps. So extra barrel helps. Book is done with a 24 inch barrel. I tend to be soft behind the gun too. My buddy shoots my rifle and gets 40 fps faster as he leans more into it. he gets the same es/sd type of numbers too.
? If your buddy leans more into the rifle how does that get more velocity? Does it help push the bullets faster or is it closer to the target by using a push method? I'm hear to learn any new techniques.

? If your buddy leans more into the rifle how does that get more velocity? Does it help push the bullets faster or is it closer to the target by using a push method? I'm hear to learn any new techniques.
I'm not sure how it fully works. It has something to do with the physics. I think with the rifle being tighter to his body the rifle has less backwards movement which allows for the propellant to be more efficient. It doesn't fully make sense to me. But we have similar results when I shoot his rifle. I have tried to load up more but I feel uncomfortable and my groups open way up. Not being comfortable, my velocities go up but they also tend to have higher es and sd as I am uncomfortable and causes me to screw up my fundamentals to settle in. Physics are beyond me but however you shoot keep it consistent and it works out.

Ran some RL-25 with the 175 ELD-Xs. Started with 67.2gr, then 67.8gr, then 68.4gr. I used Nosler factory COAL. I got decent accuracy (3/4 MOA), but not the accuracy or velocity of the Staball HD loads that I had previously worked up. Also, there is less powder density with RL-25. So I ran Staball HD @ 71.2 grains at 5 thou over Nosler factory COAL and got nice 1/2" groups @ 2850 fps. I'm not sure my CE M2 is reading accurately, so tomorrow I will true the same loads out to 850 yards and see what I get using both Hornady's and Shooter's ballistic calculators. If I'm not satisfied, I'll fall back on the Hornady factory ammo for next weeks elk trip.

Settled on a pretty good hunting load for the 175gr. ELD-X which has given me 3/4 MOA average of 52 rounds out to 400 yards:
1x-fired Hornady brass bumped 2 thou back
Fed 215 primer
71.1gr. Staball HD
2.5920" Base to Ogive
2950 average fps with a 12 ES

Preparing some more 2x-fired brass to stretch it out to 850 and confirm longer ballistics. It's going to rain for the next couple of days though......

Settled on a pretty good hunting load for the 175gr. ELD-X which has given me 3/4 MOA average of 52 rounds out to 400 yards:
1x-fired Hornady brass bumped 2 thou back
Fed 215 primer
71.1gr. Staball HD
2.5920" Base to Ogive
2950 average fps with a 12 ES

Preparing some more 2x-fired brass to stretch it out to 850 and confirm longer ballistics. It's going to rain for the next couple of days though......
What's your barrel length?

I'm shooting a 22" barrel with RL26 168.0 Gr. Bergers and 66.8 grs. Of powder 2965 fps.
Kind of off the subject but I am seeing more and more custom rifles (especially Fierce) with 22" barrels on 7mm PRC and 6.5 PRC. Conventional wisdom says these barrels should be a minimum of 24" for the best performance (I've actually seen 6.5 PRC in 26" barrel, though not the norm). Am I missing something here? I figure maybe the custom guys are maybe trying to build shorter barrels to save weight? Just curious. Thanks guys.

Recent Posts