7mm PRC is here. SAAMI specs out

I think you'll see Hornady introduce 150gr CX at 3100, 175gr ELDX at 2950, 180gr ELDM at 2900, something along those lines for factory offerings.

Either way it will a good option in the 7mm cartridges.
Basically it's an updated 7Rm with a shorter, fatter case optimized for PRC shoots that will transition well to the hunting world especially for those who have bought the "belted magnums are bad" hype.

Basically it's an updated 7Rm with a shorter, fatter case optimized for PRC shoots that will transition well to the hunting world especially for those who have bought the "belted magnums are bad" hype.
Well I don't think any deer will know the difference between a 280AI, 7mm Rem Mag or 7 PRC !
Just the deer nut behind the gun knows the difference !
I'm a big fan of the PRC cartridges, as you say it's just a updated 7mm but I'll say improved 7mm Rem Mag just as the 300 PRC is to the 300 win mag, you can use a 1962 designed casing or 2022 designed casing, that's how I look at it.

I'll get 3000 fps with 180s in my 284 with RL17 so it's kinda reinventing the wheel. Like I said, it's a great cartridge for the non-reloader. It really won't do much more than the 284. The 6.5CM pretty much mirrors the .260 yet somehow Hornady has the ability to sell products that work for people.

The problem is that the cartridge was designed and optimized for just under 3000FPS with the long heavy bullets so as to be with in PRC shooting limits.

What makes you think this has anything to do with prs?

I'll get 3000 fps with 180s in my 284 with RL17 so it's kinda reinventing the wheel. Like I said, it's a great cartridge for the non-reloader. It really won't do much more than the 284. The 6.5CM pretty much mirrors the .260 yet somehow Hornady has the ability to sell products that work for people.
How long is your barrel ? Your getting 350-400fps more than any loading manual in existence.
It takes 70gr of rl 17 to get a 180 to 3000fps in a 300 win mag so what gives

Well I don't think any deer will know the difference between a 280AI, 7mm Rem Mag or 7 PRC !
Just the deer nut behind the gun knows the difference !
I'm a big fan of the PRC cartridges, as you say it's just a updated 7mm but I'll say improved 7mm Rem Mag just as the 300 PRC is to the 300 win mag, you can use a 1962 designed casing or 2022 designed casing, that's how I look at it.
Even older than 62, the rem mag is based on the 7mm Sharpe hart developed in the 50s that was a knock off of an experimental round from the French army during the late 30s.

That's what hornady does. Takes something on the market and mirrors it with a new "hot and amazing" cartridge and works their marketing magic. I say good for them, I just wish they would have taken the 260 Remington, 6.5x284, 300 wm and applied their marketing to cartridges that I already had. Anyone who can convince shooters that an already great bullet disingrates when they miss and tell them that they need to buy two new versions of the bullet at a higher price and have it work are marketing geniuses and will have success introducing new cartridges

Reinventing the the 284 Winchester ? Lots of cartridges would be better with heavy for caliber high BC bullets if they had been throated for those bullets and came with appropriate twist barrels, Hornady is just updating some outdated cartridges !

I'm sure your 284 is chambered with a SAAMI spec reamer as well as 1-10 twist barrel 😉

7mm LRM didn't like hitting 3000fps with 180's, and would just barely do that in a 30" barrel, and this cartridge is quite a bit smaller... so I'm not sure what they would have done to overcome that. I'm guessing they haven't overcome it. The numbers being reported are likely from guys that don't like seeing more than 2-3 firings on their brass before they throw it away.

The issue with all the internet talk about all cartridges, is that there's no proper validation of shared results. A few examples.

The internet thinks a 6 Dasher will run a 105 at 3060fps... and technically, it "can." However, those people can never demonstrate longevity of the node, their components, or any aspect of that performance. Meanwhile, my 6 dasher running 105's at 2925, can put 60-80 firings on a set of brass and shoots in the .2' and .3's at the worst.

When everyone was shooting the "new" 7 LRM... there were guys pushing 3100-3200 and reporting that on this very site. Yet I was squirting out 180's from a 30" barrel at barely over 2900fps.

Some people are prepared to make declarative statements of cartridge performance with much less proof than I.

I'm fairly certain the 7 PRC will end up living at 2825-2875 with a 180, in the hands of a handloader with a high requirement of precision and accuracy. I hope I'm wrong and they were able to get the brass strong enough to take more. Though I'm not optimistic. I think the strength of these small 7's will be with 168 to 175 class bullets.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

The problem is that the cartridge was designed and optimized for just under 3000FPS with the long heavy bullets so as to be with in PRC shooting limits.
Why are you stuck on PRS? I'm assuming that's what you mean? PRC is not the same acronym.

Fwiw prs max velocity is 3200.

This cartridge was not designed for prs competition from anything I have ever heard and would be a terrible idea considering 6.5 prc is overpowered for the sport.

Why are you stuck on PRS? I'm assuming that's what you mean? PRC is not the same acronym.

Fwiw prs max velocity is 3200.

This cartridge was not designed for prs competition from anything I have ever heard and would be a terrible idea considering 6.5 prc is overpowered for the sport.
Because just like the 6.5PRC it was developed and designed to perform right at the sweet spot towards the upper limits of what is allowed in the venue and to excel with the heavy/high bc bullets without heavy recoil.

Last edited:
No it doesn't. The venue you are referring to (PRS) has a max velocity 200fps over what you quoted.

Hornady has the 6gt and the 6creedmoor for serious prs use and the 6.5 creedmoor for generic. In a sport that notes 308 as having too much recoil they aren't developing 7 mags for it. Not to mention borderline zero prs rifles are long action.

Last edited:
How long is your barrel ? Your getting 350-400fps more than any loading manual in existence.
It takes 70gr of rl 17 to get a 180 to 3000fps in a 300 win mag so what gives
29" barrel. 2943 is my accuracy load with 52.5 grains of RL17 with 180 Berger's. RL17 ISN'T a 300 Magnum powder for optimum performance. Can't speak on what gives other than these are facts with my 284 Winchester. Not a Shehane but straight 284. I've ran it just a few feet per second over 3000 with 53.0 grains but lost some accuracy. Point is, it makes roughly 3000 WITH accuracy. I have a 26" barrel that still pushes 2900+. I like the sounds of a 7PRC but no need for it in my case. Being a reloader, I'll stick to the 284 and Lapua brass.

The 7 PRC is on the magnum bolt face. The 284 is on the 308 bolt face. A short fat powder column will almost always be more stable than a long skinny powder column.

Once lapua picks up the 7 PRC, it will be game over for the straight 284 across nearly all disciplines. You'll have the 7mm variants of the 6.5 PRC, which both Alex Wheeler and I have built designs on for, (7mm PRC Primal) (I already have rifles and I'm sure he does too) soon taking over the straight 284's space. Then you'll have the 7PRC picking up the top end among the guys really going for the horse power in benchrest and f-class... and the ease of accessibility which is traditionally provided by hornady, and its a guaranteed lock for the entire LRH community to pick up.

Some guys will see that early. Some will see it late.

... but sure as I write this, that's what we'll see.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Recent Posts