7mm-08 the forgotten 6.5 Creed Killer?

Standby... i may be motivated to chuck up the blank in the lathe and start cutting. One of my M1As need a new barrel. Toss up between 7-08 and 338 Federal. Have blanks for either one. Did a 338 Federal M1A for a friend in Slidell. He launches 225s at 2500.
Let me know when its done...I'd love to shoot it!

Quick question from the uninform, me! Could I get an upper for my AR-10 and shoot 7-08? That might be fun!

I have a Remington R25(DPMS) in 7mm08 that I bought about a dozen years ago. My one and only rifle in this cartridge. It feeds and cycles perfectly, and is exceptionally accurate. So much so that I have used it to win several 200/300 yard egg shoots using 139gr SST/Varget hand loads. No problem busting 500 yard baseball sized rocks. It's a blast to shoot.
40A17D31-4B40-41D1-B947-1D5DE66F52CF.jpeg

I currently have a thirties-era Oberndorf with period-correct Dural-Dialytin 4X scope in claw mounts. I have not tried to develop a load for it, as it is worth more to me in its original condition than with a new barrel and scope. I also have a Venezuelan Mauser that I put a new stock and scope on, but have not yet started load development for. I really should re-barrel it before working a load, and if I do that I will probably build it in 7-08 with a fast twist for monos.

I recognize the 7X57 can't compete with more modern cartridges and loads, and I recognize that commercial loads are not at full power because the quality of some older actions is an unknown. But I was just interested in hearing why 73driver singled out the 7X57 for his comment.

BTW, I also have a 7 RM that I used with great satisfaction for plains game in the early seventies in East Africa. If I still lived there, I would probably replace it with a 7-08 or short magnum, but I have a warm spot in my heart for the 7X57, and especially for those by Oberndorf.

I want to Add this,. IF you have, a 7mm-08, Tikka T-3 that, DOESN'T shoot, the High BC, VLD type of, Bullets "well", you might try, the Classic Hunter, Berger OR,. "Ream out" your Throat Angle to 1.5* with, a Rented, ( 4 D rentals ) Throat Reamer as, the Tikka's ( in 7mm-08 ) HAVE, a "Leade Angle" from, the Factory that is, a SHARP "abrupt", 3 Degrees ! My son almost pulled his Hair out before he got IT, Figured out as, accuracy "Trouble" started with, the 150 and 162 grain, high BC, Secant Ogive designed, ELD-X's ! The Rifle would print, 3 or 4 Bullets Tight then,.. "throw" one !
After Reaming / Polishing, the Throat Angle, his groups got,. Consistent ! Tangent Ogive Bullets work best, in Tikka's because of the Sharp "Throat Angle" from, the Factory ! Tangent Ogive designed, Sierra Game Kings, Nosler AccuBond / Ballistic Tips and Hornady SST's should all, work, FINE.

Last edited:
SO, Horndy made a target bullet and then tried to morph it into a hunting bullet...with mixed success. Never heard a bad word about the 7mm-08 performance. 40% less powder for only 9% less performance than the 7mm Rem Mag. Did the 7mm-08 get skipped over? Is the 7mm-08 the adult version of the 6.5 creed millennial offering?
Personally getting pretty bored with all the creedmoor bashing. The 6.5 creedmoor is so popular because it's very effective at what you want it to do. I don't own one but I have a 6.5saum for 6 years now and love it. This would probably be true if I owned a 7-08 also. Many great calibers out there old and new. If we always stayed stuck on current technology we would all be shooting muzzle loaders. No thank you!!

We both use, 4.5 X 14 Burris scopes with, the older, Ballistic Plex and make our own "Dials" calibrated every 25 Yards to 725 yards ( one full Turn on mine ) But I'm shooting a .270 WSM with 140's going 3,185 FPS. I don't remember how much my son's Max is ( he Dials to 650ish IIRC, w/ One Turn ) We both, "Zero" at, 200 Yards. His Tikka T-3, Super Lite, weigh's under 7.5 Pounds with, this Scope and DNZ one piece, Mounts.
Some of, the 4x14 and 3x18 Leupolds, are NICE, and light, too,.. And "Dial" very well. (YES, watch the Weight of Scope ! )
Burris now makes, "Custom Dials" for their Scopes at,..BurrisOptics.com/ballistic's then go to, CustomKnobs. @ $50. each
What objective are you running?The reason I ask is I think I got caught up in Big scope the HYPE and only used high powered heavy scopes in the passed I'm trying to be more practical in my older yrs is a 36mm Adequate for a 500 yard gun in your opinion or should I stick with 40-44mm and by the way Thanks for your help this lightweight rifle building can be challenging.

I had a 6.5 Creedmore built for my granddaughter, it is a good round with mild recoil but there is a price to pay in performance, my grandson and I both shoot 260 AI - Schneider barrels, 1/8 twist , Stiller Predator actions and McMillan stocks. 129 grain Nosler Accubonds are killer good combo with 50 grains of H1000. The bottom line is we just like guns and lots of caliber combos.
Have some 243s loaded with100g SGK over 45g of H1000, gotta go shoot them. super powder with a long barrel and bottle neck cases. 243 gets brushed aside a lot, call it a 6mm and people think it is more interesting.

I know this thread is about the 7/08 vs the 6.5 Creedmoor, but I consider the Creedmoor to be a Koolaid caliber, whose popularity is generated by the marketing departments of Hornady, et al. Otherwise, there are two other cartridges which match or exceed the performance of the 6.5 Creed.
Date Introduced​
Caliber​
Comment
1890's6.5 x 55 SwedemoorBut it requires a *long* action! Eeewww...
~19556.5-08 (what became the 260 Rem)Formally adopted by SAMMI in 1997, commercial offerings exceed the 6.5 CM in performance.
20076.5 CMMakes everyone a sniper.

I voted with my wallet and have (2) 6.5 Swede AI's, (2) 7mm-08's, and one 260 Rem.
Unless I am gifted one, there's a 0.01% chance there will ever be a Creedmoor anything in my possession, about as likely as me ever wearing toe shoes:

1639420537001.png

What objective are you running?The reason I ask is I think I got caught up in Big scope the HYPE and only used high powered heavy scopes in the passed I'm trying to be more practical in my older yrs is a 36mm Adequate for a 500 yard gun in your opinion or should I stick with 40-44mm and by the way Thanks for your help this lightweight rifle building can be challenging.
We tried the smaller, 3 x 9's as, they ARE light, but found that, for Shooting GOOD 200 Yard Groups and practicing on, Steel Plates, to 700 Yards the 4 x 14's are just,.. better ! 42 MM Objectives on the 4.5 x 14's let in, a good amount of "light" and are very, Clear for shooting, TIGHT Groups !
A 3 x 9 is OK to, 4-500 yds on Game, tho. Shot my Elk on 5 Power this year at, 95 Yards and my grandsons shot, 4 Deer from 200 to 430 Yards on 6 Power !

Killed my first buck Nov 22 -1963 with the 6.5x55 -1-7.5 twist 16 in carbine 139 gr Norma it took a long time too catch on in the form of a Creed remember what happened on that day?
Everybody of age knows what happened on that day! A truism to people saying you could remember every event of every day of your life if you got the right recall. Myself, I was actually born on that day!

Personally getting pretty bored with all the creedmoor bashing. The 6.5 creedmoor is so popular because it's very effective at what you want it to do. I don't own one but I have a 6.5saum for 6 years now and love it. This would probably be true if I owned a 7-08 also. Many great calibers out there old and new. If we always stayed stuck on current technology we would all be shooting muzzle loaders. No thank you!!
Availability of many different bullets has helped the 6.5 just as the huge selection of bullets for 30 cal. All about marketing: capitalism -- nothing wrong with that.

Recent Posts