7mm-08 the forgotten 6.5 Creed Killer?

DoneNOut

SO, Horndy made a target bullet and then tried to morph it into a hunting bullet...with mixed success. Never heard a bad word about the 7mm-08 performance. 40% less powder for only 9% less performance than the 7mm Rem Mag. Did the 7mm-08 get skipped over? Is the 7mm-08 the adult version of the 6.5 creed millennial offering?

Last edited:
Oh my . Yes I believe it is. i absolutely love my 7mm08 it kills great shoots great and very little recoil. If I'd bought a 7mm08 when I was a young man I wouldn't have half the chambering I do now . Lol but then also i wouldn't have slot of cool guns . No creedmoor in my stable . Not saying there is anything wrong with it , just have pretty well everything from field mouse to grizzly covered !

I have 2 7-08s and 3 6.5 CMs, they are 2 of my favorite 3 cartridges (6.5x284 the other), if their is an advantage to either it would be the heavier bullet option for the 7-08 but that also comes with more recoil. In the 140gr class, the 6.5 CM is a tough to beat combination of light recoil, high retained down range energy/speed, and sectional density. I love both cartridges and I'm not trying to sound like a 6.5 CM band wagoner. Both are great deer cartridges.

I have 2 7-08s and 3 6.5 CMs, they are 2 of my favorite 3 cartridges (6.5x284 the other), if their is an advantage to either it would be the heavier bullet option for the 7-08 but that also comes with more recoil. In the 140gr class, the 6.5 CM is a tough to beat combination of light recoil, high retained down range energy/speed, and sectional density. I love both cartridges and I'm not trying to sound like a 6.5 CM band wagoner. Both are great deer cartridges.
Recoil not a thang with 120 HH!

Well I was (and still have a soft spot for) a diehard .270 Win fan. that was until I got my first 7-08. I now have two 7-08s and when my grandson came of age that's the one chambering I got for him. It is definitelyy a great deer killer. But I also have a 6.5 CM. I got that because I didn't have one, which is reason enough. And secondly because I had a hankering to get a Bergara B-14 HMR in a left hand version. I haven't shot anything with it but I doubt any deer would notice the difference if it was shot with a 7-08 or 6.5 CM. Surprisingly I no longer see the LH version listed on their site.

Last edited:
Killed my first buck Nov 22 -1963 with the 6.5x55 -1-7.5 twist 16 in carbine 139 gr Norma it took a long time too catch on in the form of a Creed remember what happened on that day?

It may start slow, but that monster bc will catch up eventually and it would easily out perform a 6.5 creed at over 1,000 yards
I only roll 300 WM to that distance. The one mile buffalo we shoot on, them dudes with 6.5 PRCs have some trouble, and I can't hear their hits. Must keep a shot inventory.