6.5 SAUM (GAP4s), 6.5 Creed or 7/08

Blacktail

Looking for a little advice in deciding a caliber and rifle for my 10 yr old. We have a 7/08ai in the family that is my daughters. I shoot a 7mm stw and a 280ai so was thinking maybe a 6.5 to add to the family for him for both hunting and a rare occasion we get to shoot some steel. Want something he can shoot now and grow into. He handles recoil very well shooting his 20 gauge 870 with 3" 2s no problem. Trying to decide do I go 6.5 creed, 6.5 SAUM or maybe just get another 7/08 for him. I can obviously put a brake all the above. Just cant seem to make up my mind. Mostly deer, antelope, bears and occasional elk once he turns 12. I could just have him share his sisters and when 12 pack my 280ai around but what fun would that be sharing a rifle with your sister..plus who am I kidding I will be shooting it..lol

Depends on how much he plans to shoot it.
A lot? Go 6.5 CM.
A true hunting rifle, 50+/- rounds or less a year? 6.5 SAUM (or better yet, 6.5 SS).

There is nothing more rewarding than getting a young buck set up for hunting and shooting! Congrats!
Personally when it comes time to set up a young person with a rifle I like the idea of cartridges that are easy to find factory ammo for and relatively inexpensive to purchase that same factory ammo.
This way, later down the road when they are out on their own, in college, etc. when money is a little tight, it won't break their bank to go out and shoot and hunt with their rifle.
For this reason I would probably lean towards the 7mm-08 or 6.5 CM

7mm-08 gets my vote. Highly underrated, and should be chambered by more companies. Build it with a 1:8 twist, 24-26" barrel, and push the Berger 195's, and you got a LR plate shooting monster.

6.5 Creed. My daughter is shooting the creedmoor out to 800 yards. To date she as no miss at 700 and 800 yards.

Mud,

What speed would a 7mm08 push a 195? Not sure it push the 195 fast enough to see a difference.

Mud,

What speed would a 7mm08 push a 195? Not sure it push the 195 fast enough to see a difference.
Should be around the 2,500 range.

I shoot Berger 210 & 215's out of my .308 Win... The MV will be slower, but the downrange ballistics are quite impressive.

7mm 195 Elite Hunter.png

The eldx 162 at 2800 holds the velocity above 1800 FPS longer. Almost out to 800 yards. The big bullet needs to be pushed to really outshine the small bullets.

I would go creed or 708, the noise from a brake scares them more than recoil in my experience. A saum small and light enough for a 10yo to shoot offhand will have considerable recoil too. The creed would be my choice.

Another vote for the Creed. Else he's gonna be the only kid on the block to grow up without one. I think there is a generation coming where that rifle will be a popular and nostalgic as a 270 or 22LR. ;)

It's a great cartridge. Heck I own two of them now. Gonna hunt with one for the first time this year. Replacing my 25-06 with it.

Man thanks guys kind of leaning toward creed. He can shoot my daughters 7/08ai but that's hers!! Lol. Plus he shoots pretty well and talking about no more football just baseball and wrestling to shoot more. Maybe he and I can get into ringing some steak together that means I get another one too!! Need to keep my eyes out for a good one for him. Passed on a ridgeline may have been a mistske at 1600$?

The SAUM would be the most powerful of your choices, but that may not be the best choice for your son.

My vote would be the 7/08 (No surprise to some) or the 7/08 AI for a little more power and performance (100 to 150 ft/sec more velocity).

If you like the 7/08 but want a 6.5, the 260 rem would be another choice. I have a 260 AI that will push a 140 grain bullet 3000 + with little effort making it a potent 6.5 in a small package. also the 260 or the 7/08 can be made from 308 cases if you can't find the brass for the 260 or 7/08. Although brass for ether is not a problem at this time.

The 6.5 CM is very popular at this time and is yet another possibility. Velocity isn't that important to me as long as the performance is where it needs to be for its intended use. as in anything, there is always a more powerful cartridge to be had but choosing the right one for it's use is more important IMO.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.