7mm-08 the forgotten 6.5 Creed Killer?

Yep... It's that good. It started as a wildcat like most but lived a fruitful life as a hunting cartridge.
6.5 Creedmoor started as a LR round developed in part and marketed by the one of the greatest advertising companies in the shooting world. Then it broke in to the hunting scene like wildfire with again, great advertising. After reading and hearing the claims of the Creed...everyone had to have one, including me.
Not everyone

Not everyone
LOL!
OK, I was one...
I have a 6.5C LR rig...easy and fun to shoot...easy to load for...groups very well.
Bought a Rem 700 SPS in 6.5 Creed on sale well before bankruptcy for $440 that shot outstanding out of the box so it earned a nice stock, cerakote and nice scope and settled in at .5 @100 pushing 140 ELD-M @2820.
It has never been out of the safe since.
Theoretically, It should do the job on whitetail with that load but always grabbed other rifles with proven deer killing records instead... you know... it's that confidence thing!

Last edited:
Yep... It's that good. It started as a wildcat like most but lived a fruitful life as a hunting cartridge.
6.5 Creedmoor started as a LR round developed in part and marketed by the one of the greatest advertising companies in the shooting world. Then it broke in to the hunting scene like wildfire with again, great advertising. After reading and hearing the claims of the Creed...everyone had to have one, including me.
Agreed! I do not really care how others feel about the 6.5 CM or any chambering for that matter, but the Hornady marketing team is the envy of most companies. Also, today's 6.5 CM's status did not happen overnight; the cartridge has been in production since 2008. Marketing hype? Whatever the naysayers call it, it is up to the end-user to synthesize the information and formulate their own decision for their personal preference and intended purpose.

I'm late to the party on this thread and I don't have a dog in this fight, but maybe the reason 6.5 creedmoor is still gaining steam is that ammo is pretty easy to find (for us un-initiated who don't roll our own). Personally, depending on where I'm hunting, I'll use my .45-70 in dense undergrowth, my 300 win mag for when I need to reach out and my 30-06 for everything in between.

Loved reading all 12 pages of this thread. I shot a 260 rem for years and loved that cartridge. The 260 is an underdog now to the 6.5 CM which I still don't understand really. I've never felt hindered handloading for a short action with longer bullets out of the 260, I never did go to the 147 or 156 class but I loaded 143 eldx and 140 eldm and thought it had reasonable performance gain over the 6.5 cm. I sold the barrel to fund a project to get my daughter shooting rifles but I've always wanted to build another 260. The 6.5CM is fine, I think one thing that gets overlooked about these newer hornady cartridges is that the chambers were designed around hornady's bullet/cartridge combo to shoot factory 147 eldm or 143 eldx ammo. Its a plug and play and accuracy is excellent in just about every rifle with that ammo. That is where the popularity comes in IMO. Anyone could buy a factory gun with factory ammo in 6.5cm or 6.5prc and the result is something that you are not going to see with the older cartridges that have soooo many ammo combinations for saami spec. Also the light recoil of the 6.5cm adds to its shootability factor making it a favored choice.

With that said, I'm building a 7/08 right now. Factory ammo does not do this cartridge justice. I thought about the 260 and even the 6.5cm for an ultralight build but the conclusion that I came to in my decision was because I wanted something I felt more confident shooting at elk in a pinch. This is going to be mostly a Mule deer/Coues deer rifle but I might get a wild hair and do another wilderness rifle elk hunt and I wanted something that had the larger "Outside Diameter" and just slightly heavier bullet selection. This rifle is a 500 yard gun for hunting and the 7/08 with 151 Patriot valley cayuga gives the ballistic chart some optimism up to 500 and maybe a little past that. also going to try the 150 eldx and 150 berger classic out of it and see if I can run a mono/lead core load in the same rifle and push it a little further for Coues hunting. I usually think of a rifles purpose and build around the cartridge that works. In this case the 7/08 was it. Also had experience with my dad and brothers rifles running 160 gr accubonds out of their 7/08 with awesome accuracy. I could go to that load if I needed to go a little heavier bullet.

I enjoy these discussions and I think this is a little closer comparison (red apples to green apples to yellow apples) vs some of the others like 308 vs 3006 (apples and oranges). My conclusion is that, if factory ammo was my option and I just wanted to plug and play then I would probably be more attracted to something like the 6.5CM, but with handloads I think the 7/08 has more potential in lethality and long range. No one mentioned running a 7/08 off of a long action which kind of surprised me, as mentioned above, I think a big pill seated long out of a 7/08 could have very nice performance and be fun to mess around with.

I only roll 300 WM to that distance. The one mile buffalo we shoot on, them dudes with 6.5 PRCs have some trouble, and I can't hear their hits. Must keep a shot inventory.
I'm considering having a 6.5 PRC built since I've got a short action that I need to do something with. But in today's climate of ammo issues not run across anyone having or shooting one. What downfalls do you see with the PRC? Thanks

I'm considering having a 6.5 PRC built since I've got a short action that I need to do something with. But in today's climate of ammo issues not run across anyone having or shooting one. What downfalls do you see with the PRC? Thanks
No downside other than availability of reloading supplies and ammo but that applies too about everything right now . I have built 2 PRCs in the last 2 yrs great cartridge

I don't want to derail the thread but my buddy has a 6.5 PRC and really likes it.
He and I shoot LR steel together and it and my 6.5-284 are very close on dope out to 1000

My old 788 carbine in 7-08 launching Sierra 120 flat base hunting bullets accounted for half a box worth of whitetails.

Sadly I sold that rifle. Have since found another 788 carbine 7-08 in pristine shape. Too nice to take out as hunting rifle. Have a 284 1.25 blank, I may turn it down/chamber to rebarrel one of my M1As into a 7-08.
Have one of those in back of the safe.

The 6.5 PRC with 156gr Bergers @ 3050fps didn't hit with much authority. I would shoot the 208 Amax 300 WM at 3050fps and we could hear and clearly see the hit. He would shoot and the only way I could tell he got a hit was to see the yellow target flasher.

I have AR10 with 7mm-08. One of if not the most accurate rifles I have. While it does have fairly pricey barrel and hoping that is part of the tight croups I am getting at 200 yrds,avg, about .75 and if idiot making it go boom really does his job it will be tighter. Never owned a 6.5 Creedmoor and doubt I will. Not that its not a very good round. I just do not seeing it doing anything my 08 will not do. If I need more than its the ol trusty 7mm Rem Mag. after 32 years and probably well over 1000 trips in the woods its hard not to reach for the old gal when heading out. I have dropped 4 deer in past two years and none went more than 50 yrds with two putting head down where they where standing when hit.

Last edited: