7mm-08 or 6.5

Well my fellow shooters after a long talk to her about more calibers she went back to a 243 so that's what I'm going to get her the 2 options I have now are
1 tikka t3 lite
2 savage lady hunter 11/111
Never own any of the 2 brands so which one would u choose
I don't know anything about the lady hunter but I do know Tikka. Before people knew much about Tikka they said the stock looked flimsy and the mags were plastic. After owning a couple I realized that they are tough as hell. They upgraded the line to the T3x and improved some of the downsides (added picatiny rail, checkering, aluminum bolt shroud, etc). Very good rifles.

This thread seems to be well attended with lots of opinions floating around. One opinion has been expressed several times that I simply don't agree with - that being that a 243 in novice hands is more likely to wound or cripple a deer than the 6.5 or the 7mm. I emphatically disagree.

My deer gang keeps stats on our deer hunting. I have personally shot 43 deer in the course of my life (most with a 308 and lately with a 6.5), and my deer gang (averaging 5 hunters) has shot 214! Of those, 35 were killed with a 243 by a mix of both novice and experienced hunters. Not one crippled deer. I wish the same could be said for the 308 and 7mm. That is not because they are a poorer choice of caliber, it's simply because the higher rate of usage, increases the odds of a rare poor shot. As far as I am concerned, there is zero wrong with all three. A poor shot - is a poor shot - is a poor shot.

The very best way to avoid poor shots is to practice practice practice. The less a rifle kicks, the more likely the hunter will want to practice.

I'd also be willing to bet that the majority of losses described here by others using a 243 were by novice hunter or hunters taking chances. I would also expect that a fullsome statistical analysis would show that novice hunters are more likely to use smaller calibers and more likely to take chances, and this has led to the incorrect conclusion that the 243 is a poorer choice of caliber. In reality, I think it's much more likely to be because of the higher probability of smaller calibers being used by novice hunters, and not because of the caliber itself.

In my experience, I would also add that the two most common problems that novice hunters have are FLINCHING, and DEER FEVER. A rifle going off does not equal a dead deer. A dead deer requires a good shot. Novice hunters are much less likely to develop flinching with a 243 than with a 6.5 or 7mm or 308. Only experience and practice can fix deer fever.

Summing up my little rant, I believe that the skill of the shooter is the weakest link in most deer hunting situations - not the choice of caliber. IMHO, (within the scope of this discussion of 243 vs 6.5 vs 7mm for deer) bigger does NOT compensate for a poor shooter or a poor shot. However, smaller does contribute to improved shooting skills through lower recoil which promotes more practice and less flinching. For experienced hunters, all the choices discussed are equally excellent.

I see the OP's Bride has gone back to the 243. Good for her! Get her a really nice one!

Last edited:
https://www.eurooptic.com/ these guys did have a good sale on Tikkas . I have one stainless / synthetic Tikka it's in 7mm-08 it's the older 595 model , I like it .

look at the Tikka 243 twist rate before you buy . I didn't buy a 243 Tikka for Denise because I thought the twist was a little slow for heavy bullets .

Well my fellow shooters after a long talk to her about more calibers she went back to a 243 so that's what I'm going to get her the 2 options I have now are
1 tikka t3 lite
2 savage lady hunter 11/111
Never own any of the 2 brands so which one would u choose

You should take her to an outdoor shop and let her decide.

They are both fine rifles. Myself, I'd prefer the Tikka over the Savage just for the fit and finish. Deer will never know the difference.

You said her family likes Ruger. So why not a Ruger?

All that said, all three are still budget rifles. Unless you have severe financial constraints, consider getting her something much nicer. Preferably MUCH nicer than any of your own rifles. She will love you for it. And I already know from what you have said about her - she is worth it!

Consider a new or even a used Cooper. A finer factory production rifle does not exist. Yes, I know you can buy a half dozen Tikka/Savage rifles for the same price.... But your bride is worth more than a thousand NY City Girls.

If that is too pricey, then try and find her a Kimber. They are top notch too.

If that's still too pricey, look at a Sako 85 (the Grey Wolf is really nice) or a Browning X-Bolt (the Medallion is a show stopper).

All of the rifles above shoot way better than most shooters can, and they all have fit, finish, and function that are head and shouders above the plethora of entry level rifles out there. Hold and cycle any one of them once and you will be amazed at the difference.

Spoil her. Then spoil her some more.

Nuff said.

Last edited:
Look at the Tikka 243 twist rate before you buy . I didn't buy a 243 Tikka for Denise because I thought the twist was a little slow for heavy bullets .

I totally agree with this. Twist is an issue that far too many buyers ignore at their peril. They find out too late that their favorite rifle can't handle their favorite bullet.

In my opinion the 85gr Sierra HPBT is a wonderful deer bullet. If you don't handload, then you can get the 85gr Sierra in the SP version pre-loaded by Federal. A 10" twist (which is pretty standard in 243s) will handle this bullet just fine. It will also handle anything lighter for varmint hunting and target practice.

If you really feel you need a much heavier bullet, you will also need a faster twist.

Bottom line is that a little twist research is warranted no matter what you buy.

Last edited:
IMO save the expensive options for the 2nd rifle after she decides she enjoys the hobby enough to warrant another rifle/knows what stuff she likes and doesn't like.

Wife is getting into hunting and was debating on which gun to buy her I have the option to buy a Remington 700 6.5 Creedmoor or a Remington model 7 in a 7-08 both are price the same I reload and have a lot of 7mm Bullets but I also have 160- 147gr eld match factory rounds for the 6.5
Which one would you all recommend and why
I think it comes down to how far you think you will shoot AND what you intend on shooting. If you are only shooting deer, the 6.5 will have the edge past 400-500 yards depending on the loads you use. If anything larger than deer is involved, then id be leaning towards the 7mm08 but honestly both are not ideal for larger than whitetail game. I purchased my wife two 7mm08s for deer hunting and she loves them. I shoot them for fun and this year I will be hunting whitetails with them. Far less recoil than my 3006 and just such handy little rifles.

Like I said before I would go with the 7mm/08, but there were a few very good Elk hunters back in the 80's that used the .243 for Elk,never shot much beyond 100 yds. and were very excellent shots. That being said a bad shot by a .458 Win. is a bad shot and will have the same affects as a bad shot from a rifle that is too much rifle for the shooter. Hunting should be fun and shooting should be enjoyable with confidence in yourself, one should never be over gunned as that starts bad habits. Pete

I will taker her to look around I have a browning white gold medallion she said she wants something that looks similar to it I do want to get her something nicer cause I myself don't like the cheaper guns

You should take her to an outdoor shop and let her decide.

They are both fine rifles. Myself, I'd prefer the Tikka over the Savage just for the fit and finish. Deer will never know the difference.

You said her family likes Ruger. So why not a Ruger?

All that said, all three are still budget rifles. Unless you have severe financial constraints, consider getting her something much nicer. Preferably MUCH nicer than any of your own rifles. She will love you for it. And I already know from what you have said about her - she is worth it!

Consider a new or even a used Cooper. A finer factory production rifle does not exist. Yes, I know you can buy a half dozen Tikka/Savage rifles for the same price.... But your bride is worth more than a thousand NY City Girls.

If that is too pricey, then try and find her a Kimber. They are top notch too.

If that's still too pricey, look at a Sako 85 (the Grey Wolf is really nice) or a Browning X-Bolt (the Medallion is a show stopper).

All of the rifles above shoot way better than most shooters can, and they all have fit, finish, and function that are head and shouders above the plethora of entry level rifles out there. Hold and cycle any one of them once and you will be amazed at the difference.

Spoil her. Then spoil her some more.

Nuff said.

She got to shoot a 243 yesterday and she called to brag about her doing good with it and she said she knows she definitely wants one cause she knows she can shoot it and it doesn't kick to much and that if get her something else it might make her flinch And that's something I don't want for her

Like I said before I would go with the 7mm/08, but there were a few very good Elk hunters back in the 80's that used the .243 for Elk,never shot much beyond 100 yds. and were very excellent shots. That being said a bad shot by a .458 Win. is a bad shot and will have the same affects as a bad shot from a rifle that is too much rifle for the shooter. Hunting should be fun and shooting should be enjoyable with confidence in yourself, one should never be over gunned as that starts bad habits. Pete
I know of an indigenous guy in Canada that hunted everything they had with a 22-250. He proved beyond a doubt that shot placement was key. He was very successful hunting with his one gun and I took that as an example of why you need to practice and that you don't need a new gun for everything new. That didn't stop me from buying a bunch but that was my choice.

I'm not sure I understand that.
The model 700 is a lot easier to find after market parts for, stocks, triggers and such, especially if you like to buy secound hand. There is nothing wrong with a mod 7. I have a mod 7 I bought in 260rem the first year they released the cartridge and love it. That was my first real experience with the 6.5 caliber and have killed many animals with it. I got a great deal on some new mod 7 actions I couldn't pass up and thought I would build some budget build. Well I soon found out it was going to cost me more than I thought if I wanted to get them done anytime soon. Finding good stocks and such used takes a lot longer that a mod 700 would have. There are parts for it model 7 you can find new but I was trying to save money. As fare as cartridge I would defiantly set here up with the 6.5 creedmoor. It's going to be less recoil, there is a better choice of great ammo and Ammo tends to be a little cheaper. It is a fine cartridge and it's realy unbaleavable how well the 6.5 caliber performs on game.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.