7mm-08 or 6.5

Nice to hear from another .280 user!
Either caliber should do fine for her - the recoil and ability to drop game are really similar. Fit, noise and weight will more important. If you get something you like you'll _want_ to use it. Went through a similar decision process for mine (wife), she decided on a 7mm-08 (thought I was going to lose my .257 Roberts to her, though...)

7mm08 was an attempt to put a more ballistically efficient bullet into a moderate sized case to provide better long range capabilities w/o increasing recoil. 6.5 Creedmore took that another step by using a still more efficient long range bullet.
Which is better? For punching paper, probably the 6.5. For long range hunting of medium sized game, use a bigger case.

She wants a 243 because she hears a lot of women use them I mean nothing wrong with it but I though I would add 2 more calibers and explain to her but now I have added a few more she wants something bigger a brake and ear protection will help her

El Matador has it right. The 7/08 is a wonderful deer whacker out to 2-300 yds. I gave my 22" barreled Rem 600 to a son of an outfitter in Mt. and he killed a cow elk with it. The 140 gr. bullet has a lot of stopping power in it. That rifle was light weight, accurate and easy to shoot. I also now have the 6.5 Creed and it too is a fine number. Your wife seems to be recoil shy as she says she wants a 243. Why not go with a 6 Creedmoor? They come with barrel twists for heavy bullets, recoil about like the 243, and are super accurate. If you reload, it's one of the easiest I have ever loaded!

She has shot my 325wsm and said it was like a 12ga
I have told her this is the start once she gets her first harvest she will be hooked and want to get something different down the road and I'm fine with that I just want her to enjoy the time she puts into it and the hunt itself I have a lot of different guns myself but every time i go in the woods my little 280 always comes with me since it's gave me the best results

To the gentleman that recommended the tikka I will look into it since I my self haven't held one and I see a lot of people here talk good about them
Interesting history on that one. I was a die hard Rem 700 guy and went to buy a 22-250 for some varmint hunting and the guy at the store said "Hey, you really should consider this Tikka." I had never in my life heard of this oddball sounding rifle. I picked it up, tried out the action etc as he described the pros/cons and I figured what the heck. Its a tack driver rifle and I've never regretted it. But, this summer while at my moms memorial, I talked with a friend I grew up with and it turns out he is into long range shooting. As we talked about various things I recommended he get a Tikka and he smiles and said "Yea, bought one for my son. He didn't like it. Too much recoil." I about fell out of my chair (his son isn't that young or small...). I guess I learned that not every gun is a match for every person. My oldest boys are under 100 lbs but shoot my Weatherby .308 and love it. Go figure. They couldn't quite stomach the recoil of the Tikka T3 light in 30-06 as of last summer but I'm betting next summer they will think nothing of it. In the end its all a learning process and I never want to stop that.

She has shot my 325wsm and said it was like a 12ga
I have told her this is the start once she gets her first harvest she will be hooked and want to get something different down the road and I'm fine with that I just want her to enjoy the time she puts into it and the hunt itself I have a lot of different guns myself but every time i go in the woods my little 280 always comes with me since it's gave me the best results

A lot of you tube videos of lady's shooting 280's online. I saw a lady take a black bear with one on a hunting show yesterday, and she dropped it in its tracks!

Wife is getting into hunting and was debating on which gun to buy her I have the option to buy a Remington 700 6.5 Creedmoor or a Remington model 7 in a 7-08 both are price the same I reload and have a lot of 7mm Bullets but I also have 160- 147gr eld match factory rounds for the 6.5
Which one would you all recommend and why
I built a 7mm 08 improved last winter and I don't think I will ever trade it for a creedmoor. I know it's the impoved version and it's a custom but I really like it. Little recoil and hits pretty hard with 160s. Im sure I will get a bunch of crap for saying I'm not a creedmoor fan but I'm not. The old 260 rem does the exact same thing and had been around for a lot of years and no one gives it the time of day.

The biggest question I can ask is wether she will be hunting at long range, or normal big game hunting ranges ?
If she will just be hunting deer at 25- 400 yards. A Kimber Adirondak in 6.5 Creedmoor is just Perfect. She will enjoy packin it. And shooting 120 gr bullets it will kill as well as any rifle on earth. And be very mild on the recoil.
It will do the same with 100 - 160 gr bullets . As I live in big moose country, I would just as soon use my little 6.5 Creedmoor with 130- 160 gr bullets as ANYTHING smaller than my 338 Win mag or 375 Whelan A.I. ect.
As far as bears go, like any other game, only hits in the correct place count. Not 1/2 millimeter difference in diameter of the bullet.
I know my wife vastly prefers shooting my 6.5 Creedmoor to her 308. And she shoots it much better.

She will hunt from 10 yards to a max of 350 but she will practice a lot before she goes to 350 I hunt woods a lot and rarely do I hunt fields she will be hunting beside me before I put her in a hunting blind by herself we barely get radio communication where I hunt

The biggest question I can ask is wether she will be hunting at long range, or normal big game hunting ranges ?
If she will just be hunting deer at 25- 400 yards. A Kimber Adirondak in 6.5 Creedmoor is just Perfect. She will enjoy packin it. And shooting 120 gr bullets it will kill as well as any rifle on earth. And be very mild on the recoil.
It will do the same with 100 - 160 gr bullets . As I live in big moose country, I would just as soon use my little 6.5 Creedmoor with 130- 160 gr bullets as ANYTHING smaller than my 338 Win mag or 375 Whelan A.I. ect.
As far as bears go, like any other game, only hits in the correct place count. Not 1/2 millimeter difference in diameter of the bullet.
I know my wife vastly prefers shooting my 6.5 Creedmoor to her 308. And she shoots it much better.

Well my fellow shooters after a long talk to her about more calibers she went back to a 243 so that's what I'm going to get her the 2 options I have now are
1 tikka t3 lite
2 savage lady hunter 11/111
Never own any of the 2 brands so which one would u choose

I'd go Tikka. Might check your local Walmart, just bought a weatherby vanguard .243 at mine for 349$

Hey guys, my wife is 5 foot tall and carries a Ruger MK II compact in 243 and hunts with an 85 grain Nosler Partition that I load and just one shot does it every time on Whitetail or pronghorn. 243 ammo is everywhere.
P-Woolie in Nashville, Tn.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.