7mm-08 or 6.5

For hunting I like a bullet to impact at 1800 FPS or above. If you look at various bullets in the 7mm-08 you'll see that they all hit that velocity around the same distance, which is 500-700 yards depending on barrel length and how hot you're loading. The heavier bullets just don't have time to catch up in that short window. For a 20" barrel I think the 150 ELD-X or a 162-168 grain match bullet is about the heaviest you can effectively push. A longer barrel might do okay with the 180s but the ballistics won't be much better than a 162 or 168. A 280 AI is about the minimum cartridge size you need to effectively launch a 180 grain 7mm pill.

I've looked into a 7mm-08 for some higher volume practicing in a 9 or 10 lb gun with 24-26" barrel. If somebody made a decent match bullet in 140 or 150 grains it would probably be a great option. But they don't. Shooting 162s might work okay but I think the better way to go would be a 280 AI or .284 and shoot 162s or 168s.

I've heard the model 7 mentioned and it is a dandy. Bought one in 97 in 260. It works real well with handloads. Have not heard it mentioned i don't think but remington makes a model 7 youth, it is made for youngsters and small statured adults. It has a shorter length of pull and fits nicely to females. You have enough suggestions already on caliber. All mentioned calibers with proper shot placement will kill equally. No caliber is good with poor shot placement. Hit an animal in the guts or leg and you have a long chase on your hands. Flinching is probably the worst enemy of shot placement, right behind no practice at all.
270 win is probably the best all around gun though
I agree with on shot placement. Also agree on the 270 as a great cartridge. However I would never subject anyone to a featherweight. I had one in 270 an it kicked harder than my 338 mag, not as much as my buddies 50 BMG but not far behind either. The kick can cause flinching with less experienced shooters.

Well fellas been a while working out of state told the wife to go buy her a gun she likes to just go to Cabela's or bass pro and hold some and I came home to a beautiful lady behind a tikka t3x stainless 6.5 Creedmoor

Can't go wrong with a Tikka! I have 2, a 300 WSM and 7mm-08

When my wife told me she wanted to start hunting but wanted her own gun I knew how to chose. I let her choose the gun and I would let her know if it wasn't a good cartridge. She chose a Win 70 Featherwt 6.5x55 (the first year run made for EU with iron sights on it) because she like the looks the best, it was light enough and it fit her. I think either the 6.5 or the 7-08 would work. Practice and skill will make up for any difference in the effectiveness.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.