7mm-300 Weatherby or 7mmSTW

wildcat

Hello all, I am getting ready to start collecting parts for a new 7mm build. I am trying to decide which 7mm Cartridge to build. I am leaning towards the 7mm-300 Weatherby. My gunsmith here in town just built a 7mm-300Weatherby and it is an awesome shooter and performes very well. He is using 140grn Ballistic Tips and 162grn A-Max out of his rifle.

What 7mm Cartridge do you think would be best. The 7mm-300 Weatherby seems to have a little bit more velocity potential. My goal is to shoot bullets from 140 to 180grns. I would like to get your input on this matter. I am going to order my barrel first, so I am going to order a 30" 1-9 twist Krieger. Would the 1-9 twist be the right twist for the 140 and 10grn bullets?

What would the velocity potential be with the 140grn and 162grn bullets. I am thinking with a 30" barrel I could push the 140's at over 3600fps and the 162's at 3350 to 3400fps. I would aprreciate any input on this build and what 7mm cartridge you think would be best.

W.

I've ran 160's at 3340 fps out of my 9 twist 26" lilja barreled STW, Yes I think a 9 twist will be fine, I've shot 200 gr out of my 9 twist 7mm's with good accuracy.
Doesn't matter which cartridge you go with not enough difference to really notice, I'd go with the one you can get the best brass for.
RR

Ridge Runner, thanks for the info. If your getting 3340 fps with a 160grn bullet out of your 26" barrel, I am thinking a 30" barrel will push the 162 A-Max at 3450fps. And I am also thinking I might be able to push the 140grn BT at 3700fps. The 162grn A-Max has a BC of .625, and at 3450fps, this would be an awesome flat shooting bullet. However, I am not sure how fast the 162 A-Max can be pushed.

w.

well not sure how they'll pan out in the long run, but I can't get the speed from my kreiger I can with lilja's, we'll see in a couple hundred more rounds and it gets broken in well, but it does shoot well. But with high BC bullets velocity isn't that big of a deal.
RR

Since your looking at necking things anywayif it were me I'd go with a 7mmx300 Win mag Ackley improved , that will get you very close to the 7STW case capacity but in a shorter more effecient case and the ability to use Lapua brass which will allow you to run the pressures higher without killing your brass in 2 reloads.

The STW and Wby case ar so close that the differance would be negledgable.

I know a guy that has a 7mmSTW Ackley improved and he is getting 3200+fps with a 180gr Berger out of a 30" barrel and he gets 3-4 reloads from his brass.

Thanks for the inf guys. I would really like to push the 180grn Berger to 3400fps, so I want to get the cartridge that will help me accopmplish that goal.

w.

Then talk to kirby, the 7mm AM will do it easily, I have ran 160's out at 3700 with my 7 AM, but even lapua brass is short lived at those pressures.
RR

I keep thinking that the 375 Ruger case necked to 7mm might be a great round. I would expect it to perform close to the Ultra, but with an OAL which is more magazine friendly. Would love to hear from someone who has or will be doing this!

7mm-300

i have a 7-300 weatherby that I am looking to sell. It is built on a sako l61 action and sits in a 2x2x9 bedding block. It will throw 175 smksa @ 3100 into a very small spot. E-mail me if you want to talk.
T
[email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts