7 rem mag 150 vs 175

soundwaves

off to get some ammo soon. only have 2 choces. 150 grain federal vital shock and 175 grain federal vital shocks. l mostly hunt ibex. so which of these 2 would make bigger exit wounds at distances from 200 meters up to 500 meters. what would you guys get ?
7mm rem mag.

off to get some ammo soon. only have 2 choces. 150 grain federal vital shock and 175 grain federal vital shocks. l mostly hunt ibex. so which of these 2 would make bigger exit wounds at distances from 200 meters up to 500 meters. what would you guys get ?
7mm rem mag.

I'm a heavy bullet fan so my personal preference would be the 175, if it shoots accurately.

150s traveling at 3110 fps and the 175s traveling at 2750 fps. wouldnt the 150 be more deadly and make bigger exit wounds ?

Last edited:
150s traveling at 3110 fps and the 175s traveling at 2750 fps. wouldnt the 150 be more deadly and make bigger exit wounds ?

That depends on a few criteria really.

That 175gr will maintain it's momentum for deeper penetration and will most likely hold together much better than most 150gr's will. Whether the a 150gr or a 175gr makes a bigger hole depends on what's being shot and how far away the shooting is done from.

The 150gr, being lighter and faster, will (generally) expand much more dramatically (given the same target substance) than the 175gr. The rubric of measurement for how "tough" a bullet is is referred to as "Sectional Density" (SD for short) except for "bonded bullets, but that's a whole 'nother thing. Sectional density has a lot to do with how well a bullet stays together and/or resists expansion.

i would use whatever shoots the best groups at 250. ibex are 150 pounds?? what rifle??

i would use whatever shoots the best groups at 250. ibex are 150 pounds?? what rifle??

X2. They are about the size of a yard goat. Penetration is the least of your worries. I'd imagine the 150gr is more probable to fragment. Also flatter trajectory for a small target.

Factory rifle and factory ammo?? Neither may shoot for you. I have a slew of 7mag bullets that did not shoot well in my gun. They're for sale if interested.

Wish I could remember where I read this......the comment was of all bullets tried, the 150's killed by far the best.....don't know what is deader than dead, but just sayn'.
I have used the 175's in my 7 mag, sure make big holes in white tails!!!☹️ After more than 50 years with mine, I still prefer 140's....@ about 3150....bang flop...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts