7 SAUM vs 7 Rem Mag

N2TRKYS

Sorry if this has been discussed before. i'm looking at building a hunting rifle in 7 mm. I'm trying to decide between a 7 SAUM in a R700 LA with a 24" barrel or a 7 Rem Mag. I'm wanting to shoot 168 or 180 Berger bullets. I would be using this rifle for whitetails in Alabama and hopefully elk/mule deer out West. Which one would y'all choose and why? Thanks for any info.

I would go with the 7mm RemMag. Mine hammers whitetails with Berger 168 VLD's. I'm pushing them over 3,100 fps out of a 26" barrel, and it hits them like a lightning strike.

gun)

Not a lot of difference between the two BUT in the future I'll take my chances on 7 RM brass be available without question long after you can't find SAUM brass, or buy a 1000 saum casings and have em' on the shelf....both are outstanding big game cartridges and long range bangers, load either with those long slender missiles and your set out to a thousand !!

I've no experience with the 7mmSAUM so take my opinion despite it's limitations.

Of the two, I'd choose the 7mm Rem Mag all day, every day and twice on Sunday.

They are similar enough ballistically with the edge going to the 7mm Rem Mag. If I'm wrong here please correct me!

However, the 7mm SAUM can use a shorter receiver making for a shorter, lighter nicer handling rifle all else being equal.

I just read a similar thread here in comparing the 7mm Rem and the 7mm Weatherby Mags. What was interesting was the discussion revolved not so much about the slightly greater velocity potential of the Weatherby over the Rem Mag.

The discussion became mostly about ammo and/or reloading components. In this regard, the 7mm Rem Mag has a clear advantage in availability.

However, a good point was made that since the 7mm Weatherby is not as popular there may be a greater potential to source ammo/components for it as it is "looked over", a less popular chambering.

Otherwise, the 7mm Rem Mag brass is available in vastly greater quantity and quality as well as at better prices. Powders, primers and bullets are all similar, but brass availability is tantamount and the 7mm SAUM isn't nearly as popular as the 7mm Rem Mag.

I own both. Contrary to what the gun hacks tell you loaded to the same pressure with the same bullet the 7RM is faster. They are both excellent. The SAUM in a LA is what mine is built on and OAL with heavy bullets is not an issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts