280 AI vs 7 Rem Mag

shoot it and forget it; both the 280ai and 7rem are good cartridges... I'm in the market for another 7mm... I have a couple barrels here but haven't decided what to do; possibly another 7rum or 7rem as I have a belted mag action with a tired barrel..

So I'll keep this short and hopefully simple. Was planning on a 280 AI build as my "one" hunting rifle. Then today I was offered a shot at a sweet shooting 7 rem mag for less money than I would have thought. The three negatives on the 7 rem mag are I'll need to get magnum primers, more powder per round and reloading belted mag brass freaks me out a bit.

Any and all advice and opinion is greatly appreciated

No real negatives. Only imaginary. You have an overactive imagination.

I head space of the shoulder on my 7mm mag...buy what you like..my 7mm mag has a 22 in barrel..I get you might as well have a 280 all the time...but like it the way it is...

With my .308 and 6.5 creed I neck size with a Lee collet die and then when bolt closing gets stiff I use a Redding body die to bump the shoulder which also FL sizes which is about every 5 or 6 firings. Any reason I cant do the same with the 7 mag brass?
Id be buying the 7 mag, buy just a regular set of full length dies, follow the instructions and go hunt.
Regardless of how you decide to load, chamber every round before you take it hunting.

Factory 7RM brass has more sources, and is cheaper and easier to come by than 280AI. Plus you can run a 7RM at 280AI speeds to save a little powder, lower recoil, add a little barrel life. Can't do that the other way around.

I have been kicking around these two for a while and think I will just stay with the 7RM.
The belt does add another dimension to things, but it is really not a big deal.

Factory 7RM brass has more sources, and is cheaper and easier to come by than 280AI. Plus you can run a 7RM at 280AI speeds to save a little powder, lower recoil, add a little barrel life. Can't do that the other way around.

I have been kicking around these two for a while and think I will just stay with the 7RM.
The belt does add another dimension to things, but it is really not a big deal.
Im learning things here I never knew. lol

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts