7 wsm vs 7 SAUM vs 7 ss

Coloradomuley

ok guys here is what I have and am wanting to do. I have a 6.5 PRC in a seekins havak coming in the next few weeks. This action mag combo will allow 3.1" COAL here is my thoughts I would like to build a switch barrel on the seekins to allow me to run 180-175 grain 7mm bullets at around the 3000 FPS mark in a 26" barrel. I know the 7 SS will do this but the start up cost is more significant (reamer, dies, and brass). So my question is with this longer COAL over a true short action can I reap the benefits on the SAUM or WSM cases to accomplish my goal more cost efficiently. Thanks for the help.

The Seekin's switch barrel deal is a great idea! Only problem I see is if you want to change to an aftermarket stock sometime later. This is because the Seekin's mag and bottom metal footprint is neither a short or a long style. I'm sure in time the better stock manufacturers will have an inlet pattern for this available.

the wsm should be able to do it depending on your accuracy node, the saum is about 50fps slower than the wsm iirc

thing is, until you get that barrel its hard to say where your accuracy node wil be--I have a 26" 7 rem mag that with the 168 berger it is the same speed as the accuracy node for my 24" 7 wsm with same bullets --my 26" rm can push the 168 faster, but its not accurate at those speeds

more factory ammo available in the wsm, but more brass available in the saum

Last edited:
With that COL you could go with either of the 3 and all 3 great rounds.
But when thinking about it the Sherman will out do both with better barrel life. As far as brass the new ADG brass is Awesome guys are doing really well with the shorts with ADG.
Spend a bit more shoot a bit more and Rich stocks it !!!
Yes brass is spendy on 7ss but if it gets an extra couple 2-3 reloads then it's worth it and it's not all that much over Lapua at least not up my way or the way over priced soft Nosler.
As far as dies they are all about the same price for good set of dies and $50 bucks for a reamer rental is nothing.
My 338 Sherman short is almost done being built and if I priced out a common cartridge like a 300 win mag I cannot imagine my cost any more than my Sherman build.
I just picked up a Kimber Montana that I'm having Rebarreled to the 7SST 23 inch pipe I'm confident I'll get 2850+ and will make a awesome sheep rifle.

Just my 2 cents

With that COL you could go with either of the 3 and all 3 great rounds.
But when thinking about it the Sherman will out do both with better barrel life. As far as brass the new ADG brass is Awesome guys are doing really well with the shorts with ADG.
Spend a bit more shoot a bit more and Rich stocks it !!!
Yes brass is spendy on 7ss but if it gets an extra couple 2-3 reloads then it's worth it and it's not all that much over Lapua at least not up my way or the way over priced soft Nosler.
As far as dies they are all about the same price for good set of dies and $50 bucks for a reamer rental is nothing.
My 338 Sherman short is almost done being built and if I priced out a common cartridge like a 300 win mag I cannot imagine my cost any more than my Sherman build.
I just picked up a Kimber Montana that I'm having Rebarreled to the 7SST 23 inch pipe I'm confident I'll get 2850+ and will make a awesome sheep rifle.

Just my 2 cents

When you say the SS will outdo both I'm curious what you mean? Do you own a 7ss, a 7 wsm, and a 7 saum to compare or are you going off what you read on the internet?
According to Nosler which was the fastest for me to look up the 7 wsm has 7.6 grains more capacity then the 7 saum. And if I remember correctly the 7ss has the same capacity as the saum. So if you don't neuter the 7 wsm by using up case capacity with bullet I don't see how the ss or saum will run velocity wise with the wsm. Especially considering the shapes of the case are almost identical.

I actually have a 7ss. I have to lean on it pretty hard to get 3000 fps with the 180 ELD. I can only imagine a properly throated 7 wsm with more case capacity would get there a lot easier. But a 7 wsm won't fit in a short action. In a medium like the op has I believe the 7 wsm has an edge on both.

When you say the SS will outdo both I'm curious what you mean? Do you own a 7ss, a 7 wsm, and a 7 saum to compare or are you going off what you read on the internet?
According to Nosler which was the fastest for me to look up the 7 wsm has 7.6 grains more capacity then the 7 saum. And if I remember correctly the 7ss has the same capacity as the saum. So if you don't neuter the 7 wsm by using up case capacity with bullet I don't see how the ss or saum will run velocity wise with the wsm. Especially considering the shapes of the case are almost identical.

I actually have a 7ss. I have to lean on it pretty hard to get 3000 fps with the 180 ELD. I can only imagine a properly throated 7 wsm with more case capacity would get there a lot easier. But a 7 wsm won't fit in a short action. In a medium like the op has I believe the 7 wsm has an edge on both.
The 180 ELD has a super long bearing surface, like the Berger 210 VLD's do. The Berger 215's are actually able to be pushed faster than the 210's are. I bet you could push a Berger 180 Hybrid faster than your could the 180 ELD.

Dirtytuff you hit the nail on the head in no way shape or form (unless of course the tests are one sided which they most usually are) will the SS outperform the 7wsm or for that matter the original saum. I actually have had both WSM and my wife shoots a SAUM "in a short action and it functions flawlessly weird right LOL" to this day and it runs 2900 and some change with a 180vld in a 25" barrel with h4831sc which is not the most bad *** powder but the ES is single digit, accuracy is stupid good and the brass lasts for the last five firings and still super tight! ive built quite a few WSM's, and saums with long throats and shorter throats and I can tell you that the wsm is faster than the SAUM or the SS.
If you have the mag length go with the wsm get yourself a couple bags of Bertram brass that will last the life of the barrel no proprietary dies or reamers or brass and there's loads for it every where!!

The 180 ELD has a super long bearing surface, like the Berger 210 VLD's do. The Berger 215's are actually able to be pushed faster than the 210's are. I bet you could push a Berger 180 Hybrid faster than your could the 180 ELD.

the difference is mute in speed actually if anything, it wont be super astronomical like most think that actually have never them.. in fact I just did a 30 nolser where the berger 210 vld ran as fast as the berger 215 at what I felt was max pressure same powder brass etc same everything ...even though that dam extra super long bearing surface of the 210 sucked the life out of the bullet ha ha

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.