7 mag vs 7x64

Valhalla

Greetings from Scandinavia, Denmark!
- and thanks for an interesting and educating site.

I´m thinking of buying a 7 mag or 7x64(preferably the last mentionned). Could anybody please enlighten me: what´s the practical difference between the two?(it´s mainly going to be used for deer and wild boar).

Thanks and greetings from Flemming, Denmark

hi valhalla
7x64 great round,good mag capacity,no belted cases
vhitavouri manual has listed load for 160 g nos partition at 2900fps, not far behind the rem mag, ive been shooting mine for 3 years now truly excellent round i run a swift scirroco 150g at 2950 fps kills very efficiantly!
scirroco

Hi Scirrocco,
and thanks for sharing your knowledge.
When getting my 7x64 next week I´ll try the load you mentioned. Could you spare the time telling me what´s the recoil like in the 7x64(some years ago I used to shoot the "7 mag" having no problems with the recoil)?

Again: thanks for your time and effort.

Flemming

hi valhalla
recoil can be sharpish ,though not quite as bad as a 7 mag.
the load i use is ,,rws cases ,58 grains vit n160,fed 210m primers, i just seat my bullets level with the bottom of the case neck, my rifle is freebored which i think is standard with 7x64 my rifle is a sako very accurate.
what rifle are you buying?
i shoot a lot of fallow deer ,roe deer ,muntjac and use it for boar also would not change it .
if i can help you any more pm me
regards scirroco

Greetings again, Scirocco!
Once again: thank you.
I´ll be changing only the barrel, since I own a Sauer 200(changing barrel is very easily done). My second caliber(barrel) is 30.06 - also a superb caliber, but a little too big for roe deer, which by the way is the typical deer I hunt.
In a two week´s time I´m going to Sweden for the opening season to shoot roe buck(well at least I hope so!) with my new and before metioned caliber - 7x64.

What, where and when will you be hunting?

Kind regards
Flemming

hi valhalla
i control deer fulltime,fallow,roe muntjac,
saur are very nice rifles,
i wish you waidmannsheil for your upcoming roe buck hunt
send me a private e mail so as not to tie this thread up
scirroco

Hi again, Scirroco,
have been trying to email you personally, but somehow I can´t get your maillink to work. Don´t know why.
Kind regards Valhalla

Hi Alg,
nice hearing from a fellow neighbour. I´m going to a place in the southern part of Sweden, very next to Bolmsöen(Bolm Lake). I have had this contact for about 3 years, but have yet to shoot my buck. Hopefully this year will bring some luck. Where and what do you hunt?
Kind regards
Valhalla

well , I am not such a close neighbour.. just a couple thousand km south, but I visit Sverige almost every summer and try to make it during the roebuck opening and try to do some outings.. I am usually in the Stockholm area, hunting north of Stock. near Gävle.

I´ll see if I can make it this month. Good luck with the bucks, just be patient and remember..move really slow when you prepare your rifle , preferably when the target is grazing head down...the bucks are really suspicious up there

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.