7mm Rem Mag 175 eld-x verses 175 ABLR WOW!!!!!

I had the same issue with my 7mm Rem Mag, first 2 right next to eaxh other or touching and the 3rd off a bit. I am going to try 2 rounds at a time

As far as the cooling goes I guess it depends, I usually test my loads at around 60 degree weather during winter or spring and I wait till the barrels feels cool and not warm at all. I can't be testing it when it's 90, 100 or 112 degrees outside, the barrell just won't cool down Lol.

I couldn't get the 175 ELDX bullets to shoot well in my 7 STW until I changed the barrel with a 1:8 twist. The 1:9 twist wouldn't stabilize them. They shook lights out in the new barrel along with the 160 gr ELDX. The 150 gr ABLR shot great in the old barrel. Your twist rate may be more of the issue with the ELDX. I e been pleased with the performance on game with the ELDX, too.
That being said, I've switched all my rifles over to the all copper Hammer Bullets. Increased velocity, superb accuracy and absolutely devastating on game. It's an incredible hunting bullet. Wish I would have found them sooner......would have saved a lot of time, energy and money

I couldn't get the 175 ELDX bullets to shoot well in my 7 STW until I changed the barrel with a 1:8 twist. The 1:9 twist wouldn't stabilize them. They shook lights out in the new barrel along with the 160 gr ELDX. The 150 gr ABLR shot great in the old barrel. Your twist rate may be more of the issue with the ELDX. I e been pleased with the performance on game with the ELDX, too.
That being said, I've switched all my rifles over to the all copper Hammer Bullets. Increased velocity, superb accuracy and absolutely devastating on game. It's an incredible hunting bullet. Wish I would have found them sooner......would have saved a lot of time, energy and money

Same here on couldn't get to shoot in 1:9 twist. Would shoot good at 100 but when I started stretching out the 175 gr did not shoot. Went down in bullet to 162 and really shot well. And I tried a lot of 175 grain bullet to powder combos. Anyway.
Will halve to look into the hammer bullets?

This thread is really a continuation of another thread I posted and will wrap up what I went through.

A few weeks ago I wrapped up a build with a Bartlein .284" 8.75" twist, cut to 26". Much of the information I read leaned me towards the 175 eld-x. Most of my experience is with Nosler and Berger but I wanted to try something different, 175 grain low BC sounded good. I spent the next week loading several batches with the eld-x with really nothing shooting under 1 moa. Not sure what to think but I broke the barrel in using Nosler factory ammo and the gun seemed to perform well.

Decided I need to switch things up and bought a box of Nosler 160 AB's, tried a couple powders and was quickly under .750 moa (60 grains of H4350 was one of the better). So now I think the gun likes light bullets, but I am wanting a long-range hunting rifle, what to do? I decided to try the 168 ABLR with RL22 and first time out I am shooting .5 moa (BTW this is the best group I have ever shot with a magnum hunting rifle, I was excited!!!). Loaded up some more and got the same results, also shot a 1/3 moa at 300 yards (see pic).

Now again I am wondering what to do? The gun already showed me it did not like the 175 grain bullet but the local shop had a box of 175 ABLR. So, I went ahead a loaded those up and immediate shot a .25 moa group!!!!

If you compare the eld-x to the ABLD they seem very similar, length, BC, and profile are almost identical. What I did notice after a close examination was the transition from plastic tip to copper on the Hornady is poor. There is good step that you can feel and ever bullet shows a bulge of copper on one side (were the plastic tip stops). The Nosler bullets are a perfect transition, no step at all. Anyhow, I am not looking back.

In conclusion I will stick with the Nosler as I have had great success hunting with the Accubond series. I want to again thank everyone for there help, this forum (and the gunsmithing forum) gave me the information I needed to succeed.

Thanks, Jeff from Oregon

View attachment 92561
View attachment 92562
View attachment 92563
View attachment 92564
Nice rifle..

I recently started loading for a new 280 AI and wanted the 162 Hornady a-max to work but had similar experience. The 175 NABLR was awesome with RL 23. What surprised me about it was that it didn't shoot great until I loaded it at the suggested COAL. This is WAY off the lands in my rifle but it shoots. What kind of distance from the lands is everyone finding the ABLR likes?

I recently started loading for a new 280 AI and wanted the 162 Hornady a-max to work but had similar experience. The 175 NABLR was awesome with RL 23. What surprised me about it was that it didn't shoot great until I loaded it at the suggested COAL. This is WAY off the lands in my rifle but it shoots. What kind of distance from the lands is everyone finding the ABLR likes?
I've found the ABLR's too be all over the place when it comes to seating depth.
I just did load work up for my 280 AI with the 150 gr. It preferred to be 0.020" off the lands. Nosler told me to start at 0.050" off the lands. My 7 STW liked the same bullet at 0.100 off. So, you never know.

Good shooting. Other than when I first got my 300WM several years ago, I've had trouble getting the 190 and 210 NABLR to shoot well. To be fair, I haven't had great luck with the ELDX in 30 cal either.

Also, though it's just one example, my buddy shot a medium sized whitetail with a 150 gr NABLR out of a 7-08, and it completely disintegrated. Deer was at 410 yds, 2650 fps MV (probably about 2100 fps impact), and because of a horrific shot, hit 16" forward of aim point in the lower neck meat. It struck no bone, and still only penetrated about 6" and came apart into tons of tiny fragments. Thankfully, this was a case of everything going wrong from shot to bullet performance, but with a DRT result, as it mangled the deer's neck like a shark had taken a bite out of it.

Anyway, just a word of caution from my own experience. I've heard lots of folks have had good results.
With bonded bullets you can sometimes get small voids with the bonding process. A void in one side of the bullet might cause it to fold/split oddly. This might cause the bullet to fail. What I do with bonded bullets is I weigh them and keep the ones way out of bounds for fouler rounds. I recently went through 50 6.5mm 142gr Nosler ABLRs. I saw bullets as much as .5 grains light, not many that went over 142. I would be suspicious of these light ones for use on critters. I kept all the 141.9-142.1 bullets for loading and using on game. I am still working on loads with the 142, I never could get the 7mm 175 ABLR to shoot to my accuracy needs in my 7mm LRM. It seems to like the Berger 180 VLDs, 180 Hybrids and 195 EOLs. A note about bonded bullets. On elk at normal distances 395-430yards I have failed to see pass throughs on elk using 180 Nos ABs starting at 3000 fps from a 300 WSM. So they don't always give you 2 holes, but better than a Berger would, they always disappear on elk and they both kill.

175 grain FEDERAL POWERSHOCK :cool:

Screenshot_2020-02-12-18-30-01~2.png

I usually take 3 shots and then let it cool. But that does make sense. It is frustrating to have 2 of the 3 shots even touching each other and then the third off as much as an inch. I always thought it was my shooting. How cool do you let it get before the next shot?
I shoot one at a time and wait 5-15 minutes between shots. I'm looking for cold barrel accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.