7mm Rem Mag 175 eld-x verses 175 ABLR WOW!!!!!

Jeffrthehunter

This thread is really a continuation of another thread I posted and will wrap up what I went through.

A few weeks ago I wrapped up a build with a Bartlein .284" 8.75" twist, cut to 26". Much of the information I read leaned me towards the 175 eld-x. Most of my experience is with Nosler and Berger but I wanted to try something different, 175 grain low BC sounded good. I spent the next week loading several batches with the eld-x with really nothing shooting under 1 moa. Not sure what to think but I broke the barrel in using Nosler factory ammo and the gun seemed to perform well.

Decided I need to switch things up and bought a box of Nosler 160 AB's, tried a couple powders and was quickly under .750 moa (60 grains of H4350 was one of the better). So now I think the gun likes light bullets, but I am wanting a long-range hunting rifle, what to do? I decided to try the 168 ABLR with RL22 and first time out I am shooting .5 moa (BTW this is the best group I have ever shot with a magnum hunting rifle, I was excited!!!). Loaded up some more and got the same results, also shot a 1/3 moa at 300 yards (see pic).

Now again I am wondering what to do? The gun already showed me it did not like the 175 grain bullet but the local shop had a box of 175 ABLR. So, I went ahead a loaded those up and immediate shot a .25 moa group!!!!

If you compare the eld-x to the ABLD they seem very similar, length, BC, and profile are almost identical. What I did notice after a close examination was the transition from plastic tip to copper on the Hornady is poor. There is good step that you can feel and ever bullet shows a bulge of copper on one side (were the plastic tip stops). The Nosler bullets are a perfect transition, no step at all. Anyhow, I am not looking back.

In conclusion I will stick with the Nosler as I have had great success hunting with the Accubond series. I want to again thank everyone for there help, this forum (and the gunsmithing forum) gave me the information I needed to succeed.

Thanks, Jeff from Oregon

160 AB.jpg

300 yard.jpg

20180228_153730.jpg

20180228_131918.jpg

Sweet shooting. I don't think the actual B.C.'s of the Noslers are comparable though. Nosler has always inflated the numbers. Have you tried H1000 with the heavier bullets?

Try a slower powder if you want more velocity...Something like IMR 7828 SSC, 7977, & H1000.

Also, have you tried the Berger 175 Elite Hunters?

Nice shooting Jeff and that's a fine rifle you have there. It's awesome when a load comes together and accuracy like that is always a plus. johnnyk.

I've had issues with eldx not shooting well and making the mistake gun didnt like heavy bullets and eventually tried another heavy and wam! Shot great. The eldx in my creedmoor is pretty good though.

Try a slower powder if you want more velocity...Something like IMR 7828 SSC, 7977, & H1000.

Also, have you tried the Berger 175 Elite Hunters?
Thanks for the info. Could not find in stock Berger, even Midway was out. I am up to 2900 with the 4831 and still have more room. Also, I tried the H1000 with the eld-x with bad results, may try again if I get bored.
Thanks, Jeff from Oregon

Nice bull! The 7 rem mag is my #1 favorite cartridge. I've had several of them and always got good velocity but for me velocity has been secondary. I choose a bullet I think suitable to the task and test for accuracy. My big guns shoot a lot of targets, rocks, and marmots and just a few head of big game every year. Precision bullet placement gets me going.

I have been shooting the 175 ABLR's for 5 years now with great results on game. I had someone dial it in for me and I ended up with 58.5 gr. of H4831. Which is about 2700fps out of my Cooper with a 26" barrel. I am trying to push the velocity closer to 2850 - 2900. At 64 gr. I had the first 2 shots at 1/2 and the third one war about 1 1/8" high. Then at 66 gr. I had the 2 touching and the 3rd 1 1/2" high. I am new to reloading, any advice you can give would be appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.