7mm rem mag 150 or 175 grain

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by soundwaves, Feb 3, 2011.

1. soundwaves

soundwaves Well-Known Member

the topic sais it all. l was wondering what you guys think.

l hunt ibex with a 7mm rem mag. l was wondering what ammo to use 150 grain federal power-shock or 175 grain psp for hunting at 400-650 meters?

ibex runs like hel if not hit properly its a verry strong animal.

so what grain amoo has more knock down power at those ranges. andd if l use the 175s will l have to deal with a hell of a lot bullet drop?

2. soundwaves

please some answers

3. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

where are you?? they two you mentioned are very close. i use handloads. there are other factory loads that have more energy at extended ranges.

4. soundwaves

thanks m8 but lm in TURKEY at the moment so l only have accsess to these loads.

5. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

l SOUND- Like i said those two are very close perfomance. they will do it. hope you shoot a couple of big ones

6. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Ibex are very tough !!

I would look at a bonded bullet or a partition type from 160 to 175 grain .

I dont know what is available over there but what you want is a bullet that will stay together
    on impact.

This is one animal that I recommend the high shoulder shot with a very well made bullet.

At 650 meters drop will be exceptable with larger bullets if you have a good drop chart.

Good luck and good hunting.

J E CUSTOM

7. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

If Federal Power-Shok is your only option and these 2 bullets shoot with the same accuracy, go with the heavier bullet which in this case also happens to have a higher BC and is intended for larger game.

The best ammo is the one you practice with and gather as much dope as possible so that you can place the shot correctly as you yourself stated was very important.

Happy hunting!!

8. soundwaves

thanks for the answers guys l will be going with the 175s from now on.

l dont have much experience with them at long range cause l usually hunt bore with them at 100-200 yrds

9. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

If the rifles are expensive, what does ammo cost?

Tank

10. soundwaves

what oes ammo cost? well. 30-06 costs 7$ per bullet and 7mm rem mag costs 6$ per bullet. bloody expencive. but you can find aligal ones from people 2.50$

how much are thay in the US.

11. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

Well depending on the manufacturer and bullets used in loading, $25 for low grade and $53 for top shelf stuff per box of 20rnds. I figured I am currently reloading at about $0.60 per round. Sorry it's so expensive for you.

Tank