7 PRC SAAMI approved

The 7 prc does make sense when looking at factory rifles. I have built a LOT of 28 Noslers and 7-300 PRCs they need extended length magazines. They do not fit in anything with a stock mag unless you want to seat the bullet deep which has multiple negative effects. The 7 prc will be a good one for factory length magazines, and I bet it ends up quite popular. Its also going to make an interesting 30 when necked up. A lot of guys are running a 215 in a wsm, but in a 24-26 inch barrel they are too slow for my liking. If this case will pick up 100 fps over the wsm case but keep most of the raw accuracy and easy of tuning of the wsm it will be handy for sure. I'll have one of those put together pretty soon to see.
I'm looking forward to your results with the 30cal version. I also feel the same way about the intent of the cartridge and it's purpose.

But instead we have an ever redundant cartridge with less capacity than a 7 rm, and an OAL that puts it in no man's land..
Good move Hornady
Do you realize that the SAAMI spec OAL for the 7 PRC is the same as the SAAMI spec OAL for the 300 win mag, the 7mm Rem Mag, the 30 Nosler, the 30-06, etc. It's not no man's land, it's standard long action length.

Do you realize that the SAAMI spec OAL for the 7 PRC is the same as the SAAMI spec OAL for the 300 win mag, the 7mm Rem Mag, the 30 Nosler, the 30-06, etc. It's not no man's land, it's standard long action length.
It is! No Way
I'm talking standard mag lengths Sherlock

I would have like to have seen them adopt the 7 LRM as the 7PRC or make it a little longer for slightly more case capacity.

I'm planning on a 6.5 PRC and a 300 PRC to replace/supplement my 7 RM. The 7RM is great, but having a little lighter and heavier cartridge appeals to me. A 7 PRC and a 6.5 CM seems like a good 2 gun combo, but a 6.5PRC is too close to the 7 PRC (and the 7RM) for my taste. They're not equivalent, but there is definitely a significant difference between a 140-150 gr 6.5 and a 225gr 308 at similar velocities.

Like most, if brass and reloading supply availability is good I think the 7 PRC will sell like hotcakes.
If your a PRC fan, why not the 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC. Covers all bases basically. I'm in the camp of needing a heavy 30 or 338 bullet for big elk or moose BUT just met a guy in Wyoming that drew a super tag for moose and killed it with his 6.5 CM. I'm not a 6.5 CM fan boy just saying a 6.5/142 accubond bullet anchored a big Bull moose. Very impressive. I'm still sitting back waiting for more reviews on this 7 PRC. Seems the easy pick for many over a .284 since factory offerings will be plentiful.

If your a PRC fan, why not the 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC. Covers all bases basically. I'm in the camp of needing a heavy 30 or 338 bullet for big elk or moose BUT just met a guy in Wyoming that drew a super tag for moose and killed it with his 6.5 CM. I'm not a 6.5 CM fan boy just saying a 6.5/142 accubond bullet anchored a big Bull moose. Very impressive. I'm still sitting back waiting for more reviews on this 7 PRC. Seems the easy pick for many over a .284 since factory offerings will be plentiful.
6.5 140gr + dont care how big the animal is as long as shot distance keeps velocity up for reliable expansion and penetration. I think a 156 berger anywhere from 2800-2000v no matter what cartridge is used as the vessel to push it, will kill anything in N America within that velocity window. I've used them at 3080 to 2700mv, saum vs creed, with equally impressive results.

Last edited:
Lotta beating up on other cartridges this week in a few podcasts.
A friend wants a 7 saum and I want a 7 Rem Mag. The PRC sounds great but ⬇️ what he said….

Attachments

• B0800F23-E01E-4263-8C44-DFAE733D7B13.png
    B0800F23-E01E-4263-8C44-DFAE733D7B13.png
    304.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 40CDBB2D-FB40-42D7-8AD6-5E15F2ECAC65.png
    40CDBB2D-FB40-42D7-8AD6-5E15F2ECAC65.png
    140.8 KB · Views: 113
More info on the 7mm PRC and how it compares.

It ought to be a great 21st century 7mm Mag. After 3 years of trying to make my mind up though I'm going to go with the full sized and improved 7-375Ruger that Sherman has. It should at least run neck and neck with the STW and probably 100-200fps faster in a nice custom.

The older I get the less high volume shooting I do so even a couple of hundred rounds per year through any of them isn't likely.

It's nice not being married to just a single or several rifles, that way none of them have to get beat up too bad.

Lotta beating up on other cartridges this week in a few podcasts.
A friend wants a 7 saum and I want a 7 Rem Mag. The PRC sounds great but ⬇️ what he said….
Your cited author needs to check his data.

The 7 prc does make sense when looking at factory rifles. I have built a LOT of 28 Noslers and 7-300 PRCs they need extended length magazines. They do not fit in anything with a stock mag unless you want to seat the bullet deep which has multiple negative effects. The 7 prc will be a good one for factory length magazines, and I bet it ends up quite popular. Its also going to make an interesting 30 when necked up. A lot of guys are running a 215 in a wsm, but in a 24-26 inch barrel they are too slow for my liking. If this case will pick up 100 fps over the wsm case but keep most of the raw accuracy and easy of tuning of the wsm it will be handy for sure. I'll have one of those put together pretty soon to see.
What's are your thoughts on velocity with the 215 Breger in this one.

My hope is that it gets to one node higher than a WSM without a speed powder. So 2900ish in a 26" barrel. The WSM will run the 2880 node but you kill the brass. But it will still come down to who makes brass for the new PRC and how tough it is. It may even get closer to 3000 with powders like RL26? Dont know yet

From all the intel that I can gather and deem worthy to the cause, elsewhere and from Hornady, my 28 Nosler project, that I'v been working on since it's introduction is on a permanent hold. The 7PRC is where it's for a LR 7mm. The 7mm 195gr EOL is the right bullet, with excellent external ballistics, for what I do, it's just that the 28 Nosler IS finicky, when loaded with 90+ grains of powder...on a good day. The 7PRC internal makes more sense, with the lower, efficient powder charge.