7 PRC SAAMI approved

Why would Hornady duplicate the 28 Nosler by creating a 7-300PRC?

good point ..... but my argument is , Hornady made the high bc 190 gr A-Tip bullet then released a cartridge that doesn't have the capacity to drive their own flagship 7mm bullet ...... makes no sense to me

A true 7-300 PRC has 95 grains capacity while the 28 Nos is like 102, so it makes sense to me somewhat.
Or better yet they could have really split the void between 83 grains of the 7 RM and 102 of 28 Nos by pushing the shoulder back slightly for a capacity around 90 grains.

But instead we have an ever redundant cartridge with less capacity than a 7 rm, and an OAL that puts it in no man's land..
Good move Hornady

Is this a serious question?

6.5 Creedmoor is basically a 260 Remington
6.5 PRC is basically a 6.5-284

So why wouldn't they follow suit with the 7mm PRC. At least in it's current configuration they did basically duplicate the performace of the other 7 mags that are out there so at least they are consistent.

Why duplicate a 7mm wsm, 7rem mag, 7 blaser or 7 wby mag by making 7prc,
Respective answers (opinion):

Throat for heavy LR bullets, Factory ammo to 65k psi, Mag bolt face and component availability, do we even need a reason....

These are all factory ammo answers. From the perspective of handloading and custom rifles, the redundancy is strong.

the redundancy is strong.
With one exception... if Hornady has any of the success they've had in the past with this 7PRC... the Lapua brass option will be a first among almost all of the cartridges that would compete with the 7PRC. Even if not, it has been demonstrated that 7PRC can be made from 300PRC.

Personally, I absolutely love my 7LRM reamer. Yet if I were to do a new barrel on it, I'd certainly try to make my 7LRM from 300PRC Lapua cases.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Respective answers (opinion):

Throat for heavy LR bullets, Factory ammo to 65k psi, Mag bolt face and component availability, do we even need a reason....

These are all factory ammo answers. From the perspective of handloading and custom rifles, the redundancy is strong.
I also think all 3 PRCs were designed to run the nominal weight bullets for each in that 2900fps-3100fps sweet spot for easy consistent accuracy. Its my understanding that this is similar to your 7 LRM design goal, essentially plenty of velocity to ensure proper bullet function out to around 1000 yards yet not super overbore so you get that consistent accuracy and good barrel life.

With one exception... if Hornady has any of the success they've had in the past with this 7PRC... the Lapua brass option will be a first among almost all of the cartridges that would compete with the 7PRC. Even if not, it has been demonstrated that 7PRC can be made from 300PRC.

Personally, I absolutely love my 7LRM reamer. Yet if I were to do a new barrel on it, I'd certainly try to make my 7LRM from 300PRC Lapua cases.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Now we're talking. I love the 7LRM, but don't have one anymore because of case availability…back then.

The shoulder gets pushed back quite a bit though yeah?
Seems like case crushing would be a problem
that's why you don't "push" the shoulder down ... you form a new one where needed and trim off the excess

AAF8BE90-5BE2-444B-8231-23492D749CB5.jpeg