Hornady just got the 300 PRC SAMMI approved

The 300 PRC is essentially a 30-375.

The shoulder is pushed back about .050" on the 300 PRC case compared to a straight 30-375. I'm not saying that's a huge difference, but it's there.

I must be pretty lucky with all the Hornady brass I've used, I've never had the brass life issues that everyone else gets. I wouldn't say it's the best brass out there but when you look at the cost per case over the life of the brass it's pretty good. I expect 6-7 firings on my Hornady brass and typically get better than that. I definitely wouldn't let the brass deter me from building a 300 PRC. You could always form cases from RWS 8x68s brass. That's the parent case for the 300 BooBoo, which is really all the 300 PRC is.

I haven't had the issues either with hornady brass. I got 6 firing from my 257wby brass, primers still really tight with annealing probably a couple more firings in the brass. My Norma brass primer pockets loosened up after 3 firings on my 300wby.
The 300prc interests me. If I get the barrel wore out on my 300wby I'll probably go that route with it

Maybe my pile of 375 hornady is a bad batch but the primers pretty much feel loose on the first reload. After the first i can set the primer on the table and push it almost all the way in by pressing down on it with the casing.

And i am not near my max with those either, fyi.

Maybe my pile of 375 hornady is a bad batch but the primers pretty much feel loose on the first reload. After the first i can set the primer on the table and push it almost all the way in by pressing down on it with the casing.

And i am not near my max with those either, fyi.

90% of my experience with Hornady brass has been with the 375 Ruger case, probably around 500 pieces total. I don't typically run anything at red line pressures, but I'm not shooting light loads either. It's a mix of shooting 260-270gr bullets around 2750fps from a 20" barrel in the 375 Ruger and 250gr bullets at around 2750fps from an 18" barreled 338/375 Ruger.

But when the 300 prc come out id like to try it. I wouldnt be oppsed to chambing a barrel for that caliber either after this one. It seems like a good design.

The shoulder is pushed back about .050" on the 300 PRC case compared to a straight 30-375. I'm not saying that's a huge difference, but it's there.

I must be pretty lucky with all the Hornady brass I've used, I've never had the brass life issues that everyone else gets. I wouldn't say it's the best brass out there but when you look at the cost per case over the life of the brass it's pretty good. I expect 6-7 firings on my Hornady brass and typically get better than that. I definitely wouldn't let the brass deter me from building a 300 PRC. You could always form cases from RWS 8x68s brass. That's the parent case for the 300 BooBoo, which is really all the 300 PRC is.
Yes. Read my next post. I can read a print. It's why I chose the word essentially not is.

Last edited:
6.5 PRC Is based off the 300rcm case, which is a shortened and necked down 375 ruger.
The 6.5 and 300 are different versions of the .375 case. You could probably make 6.5 brass from 300 but not 300 from 6.5 brass. The 300 is a much longer case.

Looking forward to getting a reamer, gives me an excuse to pull this ***
" Mil spec " barrel and throw the dam thing in the forge turn it in to something that can be used.

I don't know what you guys are doing to kill Hornady brass, but I can't kill the crap in my kid's creed. We are tossing 143 eld-x with enough h4350 to hit 2700 fps from a 22" pipe, and we aren't even having to trim or anneal. Some of the brass has three or four firings from me, and a half dozen from my brother and it has possibly been trimmed once. We've seen the same thing with 405 Win brass and 375 brass from Hornady.

I've also got 50 7stw's loaded and ready to rock in Hornady brass; I sure didn't like Bertram in 7stw as the body and belt are too short and I was having to create a false neck to get reliable ignition for the first firing.

As to their new 30 cal cartridge, bring it on. The more, the merrier.

I don't know what you guys are doing to kill Hornady brass, but I can't kill the crap in my kid's creed. We are tossing 143 eld-x with enough h4350 to hit 2700 fps from a 22" pipe, and we aren't even having to trim or anneal. Some of the brass has three or four firings from me, and a half dozen from my brother and it has possibly been trimmed once. We've seen the same thing with 405 Win brass and 375 brass from Hornady.

I've also got 50 7stw's loaded and ready to rock in Hornady brass; I sure didn't like Bertram in 7stw as the body and belt are too short and I was having to create a false neck to get reliable ignition for the first firing.

As to their new 30 cal cartridge, bring it on. The more, the merrier.
I dont get it either. It's not like great brass but it's not terrible either. I still got 8 firings out of my creed brass. The worse brass I've had is Remington. That stuff is terrible

These are my opinions and observations on this, and a few other things. Nothing more.

For my on topic portion:

This cartridge is "The new shiny". I believe it has its best chance of success because Hornady introduced it.
Hornady put out the Creedmoor, and just look how it took off. Someone knows what they are doing over there.
If you're gonna sell hip waders to a well digger, you better have a pretty good pitch.

There are a few favorable things that need to happen for this cartridge to really take off.

It needs brass support for the reloaders, ammo support for the shooters, someone to pick up manufacturing the rifles, and most importantly, some really good advertisement and marketing, focusing on strengths, and getting the masses to buy into it. From what I've seen over the years, Hornady might be able to pull this off, too.

Hornady is second to the plate with their 6.5 and their .30, and I'm willing to bet they have learned allot from Nosler's attempt with their 26 and 30.

Being second to bat isn't always a bad thing.

Kind of strange watching the bullet manufacturers slide into the roles previously held by Remington and Winchester. Those 2 companys used to battle for market share over calibers constantly.

Hornady makes mistakes like any other company out there, people are fallible after all, and their company is made up of people after all.
Allot of Hornady's products are sound, I've seen them come up with new and innovative ideas before, and I've seen what happens when there's issues with their innovation. They seem to have a finger on the pulse of the shooting community,and an eye on the future. I've seen them step away from proven performers to push innovative advancements.

And remarkably, they do this keeping cost down to their consumer, US!
It's like they KNOW we're all a bunch of finicky tightwads that want the best at a bargain...

Now, as far as their brass goes, I will relate my recent personal experience.
I bought a new Savage 338 Lapua Magnum, and after looking at the cost of factory ammo during my research, I knew I'd be reloading for it. The big box store only had Hornady brass available in that caliber, it was reasonably priced, (did I just say that about 338 LM brass?) so I picked up a box of 20, and some Hornady 250 gr bullets. I started searching for loads on the internet, and ran across nothing but HORROR stories of Hornady 338 LM brass sticking in Rifles, how soft it was, etc. Some of what I read were specific to Savage 338 LM. About now I'm wondering how big my mistake is going to be.

Well, I already had bought the brass, bullets and rifle, so I load up and take it out. FLAWLESS function, smooth extraction, ejection, and accurate results, So I go back to the reloading bench, primer pockets are just fine. Ended up working up 2 different loads with that brass. One for a 250 gr going 3000 fps, and one for a 300 gr at 2800 fps. Not a moment of disappointment after that initial ohh (shoot) moment. I still resolved to investigate other sources of brass, and I did. And when it came time to purchase that brass, I bought the Hornady again.

3 main reasons, and one selfish one.
Cost.
Availability.
Positive personal experience.
I don't have to work up another load in different brass that has less volume.

So, moral to the story? I don't know, maybe "Be careful taking advice on the internet from someone who has an axe to grind"?

Three Questions come to mind: Who is going to carry this Cartridge in an OEM Rifle? What is the Dimensions of the Brass after it's necked down to .284? How many rifles will end up with an altered Shoulder Angle to either 35 or 40 Degrees? (Shermanized)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.