7 Mag or 284 Win or 280AI

coance

I have a itch to scratch. I have been looking into working with a 7mm. I currently have a 7 Mag that is a bone stock Savage. I have worked up a decent load for it with Hornady 162. I also have a spare Savage long action that could be rebarreled to either of the other two. Would like to have one of the three to do some competitive shooting with out to 1000 yards and also possibly hunt.
All that said with these things in mind if you had your choice which would you choice and why.

I have thought of the Sherman also as I have a 6.5 that I enjoy shooting. One concern I had with either the 280AI Sherman was the added trouble of keeping the brass separated since I already have the 6.5 using very similar brass.

I have thought of the Sherman also as I have a 6.5 that I enjoy shooting. One concern I had with either the 280AI Sherman was the added trouble of keeping the brass separated since I already have the 6.5 using very similar brass.
You already have a 6.5 Sherman? Well, I guess you could always build yourself a .25-06 AI 40º, and use a 1:7 twist 26" barrel to shoot those new Blackjack 131 ACE bullets. That would be different, and no mistaking those for 6.5 Sherman brass.

To keep brass like that separate, I always run them in separate cleaning and tumbling cycles. I'll even do that with .308 Win brass, even if it's the same brand, if it has a different number of firings on it. I have 100rd boxes for my handloads, and I decap them once shot, and put them right back in the box, but I don't wash and polish any of them until I have all 100 spent and ready to go into the cycle, and I just do them in a complete load by themselves. Water is cheap, and sonic solution is going to get used at the same rate, so I just separate them that way.

Is there anything to the idea that the short fat cases( 284 Win ) are inherently more accurate than the long a skinny cases( everything built on a 06 size case or similar) or is that not true. Also have been told by some that short fat cases are easier to tune but not sure if that is true or not. Thoughts?

Is there anything to the idea that the short fat cases( 284 Win ) are inherently more accurate than the long a skinny cases( everything built on a 06 size case or similar) or is that not true. Also have been told by some that short fat cases are easier to tune but not sure if that is true or not. Thoughts?
The shotrer burn column is more efficient, IMO, and I think the fact that my LA and SA versions are near identicl ballistically supports that since the LA has greater capacity. The 284 case is in between the two.

What kind of competition? If F-class, 284win all day! Probably the most common on the line, shoot 1:9 - 1:8 and load up some 180 or 184's and let'r rip. PRS I'd opt for a 6.5 or 6mm.

There is no such thing as "inherent accuracy".

Wouldn't less picky cartridges lend themselves to being more accurate considering man is doing the reloading and man is far from perfect therefore the least picky cartridge would yield more accuracy inherently?

Maybe inherently accurate was the wrong way to put that. I do think the point got across though as I was intending it it seems like the shoulder powder column would be easier to get a better load for if that makes any sense.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.