What caliber? 7 Mag or 300 win?

texan79

Ive been back and forth between the 7mm Rem Mag, and the 300 Win mag. Goal is to have the capability to stretch to 1000 yds with an acurate, clean kill. (Elk will be the largest species I pursue)

I'm a .30 cal guy, but the chatter from the 7 clan has me questioning my 30 cal loyalty for this particular build. I searched the archives and found little on the two compared.

Thoughts and recomendations?

Thanks in advance.

I have a 7mmRM, and my brother has a 300WM. For 1000yrd elk the 300WM will hit harder hands down. I like my 7, but the 300 with a 208Amax will hit harder.

I use a 7mm mag, but then I am hunting deer to 800 yds, with your requirement of elk to 1000 yds I would follow Jeffro's advice and go with a 300 mag with 208 a-max or 210 berger.

Stu.

I own and use both. Not a whole lot of difference between the two. My 7mm RM with 168 Berger VLDs hold their velocity a little better than 210 VLDs in the 300 Win Mag, which helps maintain expansion velocity at 1000 yds. 1000 yds is stretching it for both of these cartridges because that's where bullet velocity drops to the point where expansion could become unreliable.

If elk is your primary focus, the 300 Win Mag has the slight advantage. The 7mm RM will also put them down with good hits. If deer is the focus, I'd maybe go with the 7mm RM. Again not a lot of difference IMO. As stated, my 7mm RMs maintain downrange velocity a bit better than my 300 Win Mag. The 300 Win Mag is apt to hammer the game harder provided you maintain expansion velocity, and the bullets expand.

They are both great calibers and have great selections for bullets. I am going to follow suit here and say go 300 Win for Elk.... In fact, I did, and it is to be done any day. :cool:

Jeff gun) gun)

Last edited:
They are both great calibers and have great selections for bullets. I am going to follow suit here and say go 300 Win for Elk.... In fact, I did, and it is to be done any day. :cool:

Jeff gun) gun)

Yep, I agree 300 win larger diameter (more frontal area) heavier bullet means more pop at long range

yep i agree with previous 8 comments.

That's why i own a new 300 win mag. 210 VLDs over H1000 or VV-N570 will kill most anything within 1000yards. i shot an axis doe on my hunt in texas last week with it (first blood on the new rifle) that 210 VLD really put the smack down on that deer. hit it and when went 10yards started looking around going *** did a train just hit me?? then shot it again and it litterly flew off it's legs, landed on it's side and didnt move again. Cant go wrong with the win mag, the rem mag is good too, but the win mag just has more punch.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts