6.5-284 or 264 win mag

I have a .264 and I really like it. In fact about 20 minutes ago I smoked a coyote at 460 yards with it:D. If I was to do it again I would probably have a 6.5 built because its more efficient and better brass. Either one Im sure you would be happy.

I have a 264 Win mag that has a 27 3/4" Shilen barrel on it. That is all the length you could get out of a 28" blank. It is a screamer. 3350 fps with a 130 Nosler AB and Retumbo and perfect results on deer. I was getting over 3600 fps with 120 ballistic tips. I was afraid to use them on deer at that speed. Can you say evaporate on impact. Barrel length is your friend :D. I picked this rifle up almost new from my buddy, less than 60 rounds through it when I got it. The 6.5-284 is a more efficient round, (less powder usage) and you can get Lapua brass for it. I would have it built on a long action and use an 8 twist barrel if you want to use heaver bullets and have all the case to work with.

I would also go for the 6.5-284. Proven track record in LR competition (very accurte) and great brass. For 800yards it would be an excellence choice. Personally I prefer a straight .284 win but that's just me.

264 win mag. 3% better performance with 20% more powder!!! No. Another vote for the 6.5-284. Nothing wrong really with the 264, I just don't like them because they are inefficient. But all magnums are and I like my 300. I have 2 6.5-284's and love them both.

I have one and will promise that you will not be disappointed in that choice!! Never had a custom rifle of my own, but this is the most accurate rifle I have owned, bar none.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.