6.5-284 vs. 264 Win Mag

I second the .264 Win Mag. I shoot 130 gr. Nosler AB's (factory load) in mine and they perform admirably In accuracy and on game. I am going to try the 117 gr. Hammers in it this spring. Stay away from continuous fire at the range, let it cool when working up a load, and as a hunting rifle you'll never have to worry about burning up a barrel. Mine weighs in at 6lb 9 oz, without scope, in a 26" barrel. Recoil is not an issue. For long range hunting, velocity for bullet performance at distance is there with the .264, better than any of the other 6.5's without going to a wildcat.

OK I am now on the 6.5 bandwagon with a Savage LRH in 6.5-284 Norma. Should have in a week or so. What tipped the decision was the 26" barrel and the price was crazy at $559. I was going to rebarrel an old .270 but at this price WHY? Already looking forward to putting it together!

With the 26 inch barrel you could get 2950 to 3000fps with the right slow burning powders. I got 4300 rounds that produced half minute accuracy. But from 4300 to 4700 the barrel with to the dogs. I was only running mine at about 2870 FPS on the 140 but loved every time I pulled the trigger. I stuck with the 140 Berger's throughout the rifles life. I been thinking about rebarrellng this rifle for a few years now. I will probably go with the 6.5/284 again because I already have a new 264win that never been shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.