6.5 WSM or 264 Win Mag

7ultra

Just need some opinions on these two cartridges. I already have a bench/varmint gun chambered in 6.5-284. I'm leaning toward getting a chambering with a little more juice for a hunting/longrange hunting application. I'm looking for an appreciable 100-150 fps gain off of the 284 case. With all that said, I am not afraid of long actions or belts. I've never found any of my other standard length belted magnums to be inaccurate. Just looking at the reloading data, a 7mm Rem can put about a 100fps gap on its short mag counter parts easily. Does the same hold true for the 264, or is the performance equal. Thanks

I grew up with a .264 and have used one a bunch on game up to elk and Kudu. At this altitude I can get 3225 fps with Nosler 140's. With a 26" tube. I have never gotten glittering accuracy with any of them that i have owned but plenty good enough for hunting big game.

That said I now shoot a 6.5-284 more than any other rifle I own. Great round but I would like a little more speed. i will be building a 6.5 wsm as soon as I can get the cash together.

Compared to a 264 win mag my preference would be either a 6.5 WSM or 6.5-06AI.
Dunno, if I can give a good reason, they just seem more interesting and I feel a higher accuracy potential.

I have a fairly new 6.5-06 it likes both 140 SST and 130 TSX, I am still playing around with load development.
But it seems a lot like a 25-06.

Fast is cool but a miss....is still a miss.
Does anyone have a 6.5WSM or 264Winmag that they can say is a consistant deer rifle to 600 yards?
Does anyone have a 6.5-284 that is a consistant prairie dog gun to 600?

Had a 6.5WSM built that was very disapointing.I definatly was not a deer gun to 600yards,traded it for a 6-284 that will consistantly wack prairie dogs to 750.
Its your time and $$,just trying to help
wink.gif

Thanks for the responses,
This is all I'm doing, looking for experiences and opinions. Like I said, I already have a 6.5-284, love the thing to death, but its in more of a bench rest/heavy varmint configuration. My next gun I want to be a little more mobile, and I am pretty fond of the 6.5mm caliber. But, I already have a 6.5-284, just looking for something a little different. An accurate, powerful (140gr@3000+fps out of a 26 inch barrel) is what I am looking for. Thanks thus far for the help.

Have to agree with Mach V on this one, seems the 6.5WSM buzz is fading out. Most guys can't get them to shoot well. I would go with a 6.5-284, or 6.5-06.

7Ultra,

If your only looking to get 3000 fps with a 140 gr pill the 6.5-06 will do this easily.

Hell my 6.5mm WSM XP-100 handgun will do +2800 fps with the 140 gr bullets with its 15" barrel.

It is driving the 120 gr Ballistic Tips to just shy of 3100 fps with 3/8" average groups at 100 yards.

Personally, for the velocity range you are looking for, I really like the 6.5-06 AI. They are great rounds, will drive the 140 gr bullets to honest 3100 fps levels in 26" barrels and are generally top notch accuracy rounds.

Also very easy to load for a wildcat.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

In a 24" barrel, the 6.5-284 and 140gr bullets should go around 2900fps, the 6.5-06 2950fps, 6.5AI/Gibbs 3050fps, 6.5WSM 3100+, 264Win Mag 3100fps.

You don't get that much more out of the 264 because of a shorter effective barrel length. Close to 50% increase in powder from the 284 case to 264 case for only a slight increase in vel.

I now shoot a 6.5-06 and love it. I could have gone with a larger case but the 100fps would shorten my barrel life, increase recoil, and reduce mag capacity.

Inside 700yds, an animal is not going to give a rip about that 100fps head start.

At LR, your bullet choice will have a greater effect on your on game performance then a bit of extra muzzle vel.

Jerry

Of the two I'd go with .264. I think a .264 with 140 grain partitions, if it'll shoot 'em, would be a wicked long range hunting setup.

A friend o' mine almost jumped on the 6.5 WSM bandwagon, went with the 6.5x.284 instead, thought he was ahead 'cause the guys he shoots with that went with 6.5 WSM were turning around having their guns parted out within a couple months, but his 6.5x.284 isn't doing any better. I dunno if there's a problem with barrels, bullets, or what.

Ok ... I'll go out on a limb: I think the 155s are too heavy, take too fast a twist, so they resist passage down the barrel too much to reach top velocity without something like moly to help 'em out. It's just a theory I've got ... as far as I can tell, it jibes with the problems I'm hearing, but that's not the same as "proof."

Anyway, that whole bunch are pretty seriously into accuracy. They're going back to their guns of 2-3 years ago ... 6mm BR with a 10 twist to shoot 90 grain Bergers, .243 AI for the 107s, or .30-.338 for 210 VLDs.

Tom

7ultra,
If your planning on a 26" barrel for 3000 fps, the 6.5-06 would give you that. If you wanted more speed and recoil after you play around with it for a while, you could have it rechambered to 6.5-06AI.
The new canted land barrels by Broughton are gaining reputation momentum for accuracy. They have a 6.5, 1-8 twist, with 5 grooved canted lands available. That is the one I'll use if I ever go with another 6.5 project.

[ 10-17-2004: Message edited by: StrayDog ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.