7.5 inch barreled blackout pistol for deer?

My family has killed 5 deer using the 300 Blackout. One good buck was shot and never recovered, and not counted in the 5 deer.

4 deer were shot using the Nosler 125 BT. It has been our experience this bullet needs and benefits from more velocity than the little Blackout is capable of pushing it to. (using a 30-06 downloaded for an 11 year old with the Nosler 125 BT at ~2600 fps was much a better killer). The Nosler 125 BT showed some expansion but not as much as I would have preferred. No bullet was ever recovered, with complete pass throughs and exit wounds weren't all that great, though expansion was evident.

A switch to the Barnes 110 TAC-TX produced better results on the 5th deer. So far, we've not killed anything more with the Barnes, but the Barnes 110 TAC-TX clearly showed better performance even with one deer being shot.

The Nosler 125 BT was my handloads and in one bolt gun was 2250 fps. The other gun is an AR15 at 2200 fps muzzle velocity. The Barnes 110 TAC-TX is going ~2450 fps from the AR15.

I like the 300 Blackout round, but it certainly is no real powerhouse.

I can tell you that for hundreds of kills I have with the blackout that it does just fine when kept in the right ranges. But I think you are correct the lighter Bullets are key. Only problem with the Barnes is you start to compress powder when you get up in speed. This is fine for a bolt but can end badly with the way an at works. Better to be safe and not compress. I think you will find better luck the lighter you go. So the Barnes should do it. I liked them just think the hammers are vastly better as they are shorter for more powder and softer to open at lower speeds.

The lack of speed is the problem. The banes 110tac caught my attention as well but havnt messed with it yet since finding the Lehigh ME shot so good and opened up going through milk jug of water.

I can tell you that for hundreds of kills I have with the blackout that it does just fine when kept in the right ranges. But I think you are correct the lighter Bullets are key. Only problem with the Barnes is you start to compress powder when you get up in speed. This is fine for a bolt but can end badly with the way an at works. Better to be safe and not compress. I think you will find better luck the lighter you go. So the Barnes should do it. I liked them just think the hammers are vastly better as they are shorter for more powder and softer to open at lower speeds.

Ranges of the deer shot were at 70 yds, 35 yds, 40 yds, 30 yds, and 15 yds. One dropped at the shot due to a neck shot (bullet clipped a sapling before hitting the deer in the neck). The others all ran, with the farthest running ~100 yds. Shortest running distance post shot was about 20 yds.

Powder I used for the handloads is W296. Compression is mild at best, even on the Barnes 110 TAC-TX bullet, and nothing to be concerned about as it's basically a book load.

The AR15 won't handle as much pressure as the bolt gun due the bolt design of the AR15. In the bolt gun, I can load some impressive velocity for such a small case, even using the N125BT.

I've never tried the Hammers as they weren't available at the time I did all the load development for the neat little Blackout round. I've considered them since, but will likely stay with the Barnes 110 TAC-TX as it seems to be "the bullet" for the Blackout based on my limited research on it's performance. Plus, I can walk into a local gunshop and pickup the bullets.

Ranges of the deer shot were at 70 yds, 35 yds, 40 yds, 30 yds, and 15 yds. One dropped at the shot due to a neck shot (bullet clipped a sapling before hitting the deer in the neck). The others all ran, with the farthest running ~100 yds. Shortest running distance post shot was about 20 yds.

Powder I used for the handloads is W296. Compression is mild at best, even on the Barnes 110 TAC-TX bullet, and nothing to be concerned about as it's basically a book load.

The AR15 won't handle as much pressure as the bolt gun due the bolt design of the AR15. In the bolt gun, I can load some impressive velocity for such a small case, even using the N125BT.

I've never tried the Hammers as they weren't available at the time I did all the load development for the neat little Blackout round. I've considered them since, but will likely stay with the Barnes 110 TAC-TX as it seems to be "the bullet" for the Blackout based on my limited research on it's performance. Plus, I can walk into a local gunshop and pickup the bullets.

Ease of use is nice. I used h110 for my 100gr minis and switched to lil gun for them and my .458 socom and was able to pick up a good amount of speed so if you feel like playing a bit might be worth toying with.

Thanks, I've got some ammo on the way now! 😀
I ordered some ammo from Bass pro and also ordered some 110 Barnes BLK bullets from two different places. The first place was a back order and I don't know when it will come but green top had them in stock so I ordered a box of bullets from them.

I just found these and was wondering if this would be a viable alternative to the Barnes? Sierra Varminter .30 Cal. 110 gr. HP
Screenshot_20200325-181036.png

I just found these and was wondering if this would be a viable alternative to the Barnes? Sierra Varminter .30 Cal. 110 gr. HPView attachment 183738

I would be interested in the velocity recommended for proper expansion. Knowing that the Hornady 110 V-Max performs like it does and is accurate, I don't know what would be gained by going with these. The V-Max is literally like a hand grenade going off in the chest cavity. I've never had a pass through with them and never had to look for a deer hit with them.

I prefer an exit if possible because it makes tracking a lot easier. If that is not possible with the vmax or some of the others I may have to rethink my strategy. Maybe I am under some delusion to think that I can get an exit with these light bullets? If so, I guess I will just resign myself to things being the way they are....

I prefer an exit if possible because it makes tracking a lot easier. If that is not possible with the vmax or some of the others I may have to rethink my strategy. Maybe I am under some delusion to think that I can get an exit with these light bullets? If so, I guess I will just resign myself to things being the way they are....

An exit wound with a good expanding bullet is good, or an exit wound with high enough velocity to burst the organs like a balloon as it passes through is good. If you get a pass through with low velocity and minimal to no expansion, it's no bueno. A small exit wound usually leads to little to no blood trail, so tracking is difficult.

The only bullet that reliably gets pass throughs consistently for me has the the Barnes 110 TAC-TX.

Ive tried the VMax, SST, NBT and evening the 140 grain Hornady flex tip bullets and pass throughs are rare.

First time I tried V-MAX was two months ago. Spun up some for a predator hunting competition which included pigs. I had a 7.62, boy was shooting a 5.56. We shot six pigs in the 80-150# range and the majority of the rounds had a pass through and there was blood everywhere, farthest one went maybe 20m and if you were barefoot you could have followed the trail blindfolded. Very impressive round and they will replace my SMKs as my primary for varmits.

I just found these and was wondering if this would be a viable alternative to the Barnes? Sierra Varminter .30 Cal. 110 gr. HPView attachment 183738

Why not just call hammer or cutting edge? They have both in stockI would bet and I can tell you from personal experience they are as good or better IMO than Barnes. If they are on the shelve and you can grab them I would but if ordering andlooki g for options I'd try those. Bet you don't go back.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts