7.5 inch barreled blackout pistol for deer?

View attachment 186963 A friend of mine just bought some of those locally. Ive never seen those before and thought they might be worth sharing for the blkout hunters looking for super sonic hunt bullets. 0.62cents each for loose bullets btw....

I may try them but im still content with my 194 subs

Yep. #MeToo despite what the greasy hatted bearded guy in the Video said, a suppressed .300 Blackout with 194gr Lehigh Defense ME rounds are perfect for home defense if that's what you choose. Much better than a "high Powered' rifle cartridge (9mm PCC probably a better choice, but if you do your part and train....). There is also Less chance of over penetration with this round vs rifle cartridge. Lots of Deer have been taken with this round with using both short and long barreled firearms. I would stay within 100yds with a red dot optic.

Good Hunting, Safe Shooting, and don't forget to breath. Life is better with Oxygen.

I personally have no use for a 300 BO. I have killed plenty of deer with pistols and have learned some lessons. 357 mag revolvers with old school type hollow points 140 to 158 gr should not be stretched much over 50 yards in my experience. A 200 gr 45 cal. cast SWC running 1000 fps from a 45 ACP 50 yards and under does OK. Both through the chest act like a arrow shot deer. If you stretch the yardage you loose too much velocity and usually don't get an exit and blood trails are about non existent. What I am getting at is with what ever platform you choose to use you have to know it's limitation and YOUR limitation and not exceed that or bad things happen.
As to the 125 Nosler BT it is a GREAT bullet if you keep the impact velocity up to around 1800 fps. I use it in all my 30 cal weapons for deer. Keep the impact velocity under 3000 fps and above 1800 fps and it is a deer killer. Usually below 2800 fps it will go through both shoulders of a deer with exit. I have shot at least 25 deer with my 14" barrel 30-30AI T/C Contender pistol from almost point blank to 150 yards or so and have never recovered a bullet. Muzzle velocity is 2670 FPS. I mostly shoot through the shoulders and I have never had a deer go over about 5 yards with 99% dropping in their tracks.
For me If I knew that I might have a shot out to 150 yards I sure would be using something that I had complete confidence in that would do the job with no questions in my hands.

Last edited:
I personally have no use for a 300 BO. I have killed plenty of deer with pistols and have learned some lessons. 357 mag revolvers with old school type hollow points 140 to 158 gr should not be stretched much over 50 yards in my experience. A 200 gr 45 cal. cast SWC running 1000 fps from a 45 ACP 50 yards and under does OK. Both through the chest act like a arrow shot deer. If you stretch the yardage you loose too much velocity and usually don't get an exit and blood trails are about non existent. What I am getting at is with what ever platform you choose to use you have to know it's limitation and YOUR limitation and not exceed that or bad things happen.
As to the 125 Nosler BT it is a GREAT bullet if you keep the impact velocity up to around 1800 fps. I use it in all my 30 cal weapons for deer. Keep the impact velocity under 3000 fps and above 1800 fps and it is a deer killer. Usually below 2800 fps it will go through both shoulders of a deer with exit. I have shot at least 25 deer with my 14" barrel 30-30AI T/C Contender pistol from almost point blank to 150 yards or so and have never recovered a bullet. Muzzle velocity is 2670 FPS. I mostly shoot through the shoulders and I have never had a deer go over about 5 yards with 99% dropping in their tracks.
For me If I knew that I might have a shot out to 150 yards I sure would be using something that I had complete confidence in that would do the job with no questions in my hands.
I've also been handgun hunting for close to 30 years and have killed right at 100 deer with them.
Cartridges are like anything else, I'd never use a 6mm or 6.5 to do any serious hunting but there are a lot of people that do and do it very well.
I'm a 30 and 338 fan and don't like anything smaller for hunting. One exception is the .223.
In capable hands any cartridge can be an effective hunting cartridge.

If you follow Johnny's Reloading Bench you may have seen his video series on loading .300 Blackout for accuracy and hunting. This video shows the results of his reloading .300 BO 194gr Lehigh Defense Subsonic rounds and shooting them into Ballistic Gel at 100yds using an 8.5" barrel AR Pistol

Isnt the .300BO comparable to the .30-30 in performance? I have a 16 inch 300BO and a 10 inch pistol I am working on. The 16 inch shoots super sonic rounds very well out to about 200 yards (max distance for my range). I am hoping to get some good info on the 10 inch when I get it up and running. Much like the OP, my goal is to use it as a small clearing, woods gun since it is so light and quick to use. I have had good luck accuracy wise with the honardy black 110 amax. Need to research it more for use on hogs and deer though.

If you follow Johnny's Reloading Bench you may have seen his video series on loading .300 Blackout for accuracy and hunting. This video shows the results of his reloading .300 BO 194gr Lehigh Defense Subsonic rounds and shooting them into Ballistic Gel at 100yds using an 8.5" barrel AR Pistol

The Lehigh 194 ME is an amazing expanding projectile. Folks who say "well 300 BLK subsonic is the same as a .45 ACP" have yet to show me a .45 HP that will expand to the nasty petals that the 194 ME does.

Perhaps similar energy (at muzzle, but not at 100 yards), and can't match the four long, razor-sharp petals that expand to nearly 1". Pricey, but unmatched from what I have seen out there to date.

The retained energy on the 194 me is enough to open it up well beyond 150. I wouldn't try it with other bullets though. The hornady subx is another that meets FBI requirements for expansion and penetration. These companys that have designed specific bullets that open a low velocities have done a good job. Theyre worth the extra $ and the varmint bullets should be used for plinking and varmints.
ACSS CQB-M, 2.5X Compact Prism Scope, Primary Arms.png

Last edited:
View attachment 192721
So I finally got a chance to shoot it and thus is what my brass looks like. The brass deflector looks a little banged up so it seems to me like it's overgassed or something. Any observations y'all have on this? Also, can I reload it if it bangs em up like that?
My grendal did that. (Short barreled) i went to a H buffer and it solved the timing problem.

Barnes 110 TAC-TX (black tip) will smoke a deer out to 150 and then a bit. Going to very hard to find that right now unless you are willing to fork over some $$$. It shoots like a champ out of my 7.5" 300BLK. Hits pretty hard and leave a pretty good wound channel for traveling as slow as it is. Barnes got that one right for sure.

Here is a link for some 300BLK ammo. https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammo-sale/300-aac-blackout-ammo. I've bought plenty of ammo from Sgammo - top notch.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.