7.5 inch barreled blackout pistol for deer?

I prefer an exit if possible because it makes tracking a lot easier. If that is not possible with the vmax or some of the others I may have to rethink my strategy. Maybe I am under some delusion to think that I can get an exit with these light bullets? If so, I guess I will just resign myself to things being the way they are....

No if you are used to Barnes or shooting another mono you will almost always have an exit wound.
Ive never recovered a bullet shooting the 100gr class monos. Have found petals from the cutting edge but never the shank always exit hole with any mono I've shot. Although I have not dug around looking for one after Texas heart shooting pigs so it may have been inside but I didn't dig around.

Why not just call hammer or cutting edge? They have both in stockI would bet and I can tell you from personal experience they are as good or better IMO than Barnes. If they are on the shelve and you can grab them I would but if ordering andlooki g for options I'd try those. Bet you don't go back.
I would definitely go that route if I wasn't in college right now. I'd rather not spend a dollar a bullet and then still have to spend on brass, primers, powders, and dies. I will likely go with the hammers after college. Until then I'll just have to play with the cheaper options. I know, in the end I may spend more but I will have the experience gained from it and I won't have to spend as much on it until I'm done with school and have a job again.
At this point I should be able to graduate without going into debt, so I am trying to keep it that way.
Most of my shooting will probably be targets at first anyways because I am in school during the bulk of the hunting season. 😢

No if you are used to Barnes or shooting another mono you will almost always have an exit wound.
Ive never recovered a bullet shooting the 100gr class monos. Have found petals from the cutting edge but never the shank always exit hole with any mono I've shot. Although I have not dug around looking for one after Texas heart shooting pigs so it may have been inside but I didn't dig around.
I am excited about this gun and all the options and potential it has! I almost can't wait for the ammo and bullets to arrive!

Well you wouldn't be alone. I always have a second load of usually eld for my rigs and hammer for hunting.
Been forever since I bought Barnes I assumed they were close to the same as hammers or cutting edge.
Also good for you with not going into debt for collage dumbest thing one could do is go 60g's in debt before even having a job. Some times it pays off others don't. I had no debt after my collage but man was it tough paying off my wife's debt of 40k.
Hard to go wrong with debt free education. Good for you

You will love that gun. I dragged my feet on the blk for a long time always saying better options were to be had. Then I got a few in all configurations and I take 40-50 pigs and deer a year with the blk. For the last decade. So yes it puts down a lot of game and I've never had an issue.

I prefer an exit if possible because it makes tracking a lot easier. If that is not possible with the vmax or some of the others I may have to rethink my strategy. Maybe I am under some delusion to think that I can get an exit with these light bullets? If so, I guess I will just resign myself to things being the way they are....

In my case, four deer shot with the Nosler 125 BT produced complete penetration on all four deer. Even using the same bullet in a loaded down 30-06 at 2600 fps still produced complete penetration.

Using the Nosler 125 BT and the Barnes 110 TAC-TX bullet will most likely produce exits on most shots. Exceptions might be hard angling shots.

Well you wouldn't be alone. I always have a second load of usually eld for my rigs and hammer for hunting.
Been forever since I bought Barnes I assumed they were close to the same as hammers or cutting edge.
Also good for you with not going into debt for collage dumbest thing one could do is go 60g's in debt before even having a job. Some times it pays off others don't. I had no debt after my collage but man was it tough paying off my wife's debt of 40k.
Hard to go wrong with debt free education. Good for you
The Barnes are a bit cheaper but I also ordered some Sierra Varminter 30 Cal 135 Gr HP 100/Box. From what I could find on other forums, these have been used in the blackout with success. I decided to try them and see what happens. they were about .34 a piece.

Here is a doe shot at about 40 yds. This is the exit hole from a Nosler 125 BT at 2250 fps MV. 236F22DE-2DCB-4299-B20D-CF7394E8857B.jpeg

IMG_0551.png
A friend of mine just bought some of those locally. Ive never seen those before and thought they might be worth sharing for the blkout hunters looking for super sonic hunt bullets. 0.62cents each for loose bullets btw....

I may try them but im still content with my 194 subs

Last edited:
IMG_20200425_154108128~2.jpg

So I finally got a chance to shoot it and thus is what my brass looks like. The brass deflector looks a little banged up so it seems to me like it's overgassed or something. Any observations y'all have on this? Also, can I reload it if it bangs em up like that?

I was just shooting some factory herters 120 open tip ammo. At fifty yards it wasn't grouping amazing but I wasn't very steady either.

View attachment 192721
So I finally got a chance to shoot it and thus is what my brass looks like. The brass deflector looks a little banged up so it seems to me like it's overgassed or something. Any observations y'all have on this? Also, can I reload it if it bangs em up like that?

I'm not noticing splits, so should be fine. The expander ball in the die will open those mouths and round them out nicely.

I've been using a 16" barrel and a 8.5" barrel with the 300 Black Gemtek suppressor and the 208 AMAX subsonic and the 220 OTM UMC for hogs, both have the same impact at 100 yards in my guns. I sighted my guns in at 62 yards, I find this to be the best point blank for my shooting situations with subsonic. I have also used the 110 VMAX and the 120 OTM. I've killed both deer and hogs with them. Head shots are pretty much the medicine for hogs with either load. I punch the deer in the lungs and they bleed out fast, short track if any. I've killed 311 hogs and 22 deer with the 300 Blackout rifles that I have. I track all of my kills and data about the kills because I do this as part of my job.

Most of my shots have been between 15 yards to 100 yards. I have a Leupold MRT 2.5-8x36 on the 8.5" and a Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 on the 16" gun. I have thermals for both guns also and use them when needed.

IMHO I believe that 125 yards with a short barrel 300 blackout with a red dot would be doable.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts