300 blackout is too weak for deer (graphic)

Anyone have experience with subs for deer out to 100 yds? I have my banish 30 on a ruger american that I want to hunt blacktails with. They are not large deer and my ranges are generally 50 to 75 yds.
Not a lot of shock with a subsonic. It's like shooting them with a bow. Unless you upset the central nervous system, you'll have to blood trail them. Shoot the heaviest bullet you can and know you bullet drop at your target distance.

My oregon blacktail from a 6" blackout pistol last year with 110gr barnes tac-tx. Went about 20 yards.

Attachments

• 20221104_083405.jpg
    20221104_083405.jpg
    747.6 KB · Views: 62
Was that with your Mink Rifle?

Yep! Running elk, near straight away, impact was just left of the "brown spot"ā€¦.bullet stopped under the offside hide of the left foreleg!

3 hide penetrationsā€¦..exited in the left foreleg pit, re-entering the upper foreleg, missing leg bone, stopping under the offside hide. Messed-up the left ham, shattered the pelvis, and passed through the elk from stern to port-side bow, penetrating the aforementioned upper left leg!

This was in 1991! The recovered Barnes 270 grain X Bullet (pre TSX) lost one petalā€¦..the recovered bullet weighed 257 grains! This performance convinced me that the then relatively new Barnes bullets were going to be my hunting bullets. I've never regretted that decision! memtb

Grew up not wasting anything, .22 was considered the best. Dang game wardens ruined that!
The brains are great & necks make excellent barbacoa or osso buco.
I've used that bullet, not as hot, on a doe facing me about 90 yards. Don't like those shots but went ahead and went low. Her nose was on the ground before her hind legs buck. Completely destroyed chest cavities, diaphragm & guts intact.
But, use solids now, run into one of those exotics and do not want to rake a chance.

I am kidding, smoked this doe at 123 yards. It was a heckuva fun stalk. I jumped her up from where she was bedded, she ran about 250 yards and stopped. I dont think she actually saw me but heard me, she was looking around after her run run but settled back down after a few minutes. I kept as many trees as possible between her line of sight and me. I got to 123 yards (per my range finder). I watched her until she stood back up and dropped the hammer. Rem 700 with a 16" barrel. 125 grain Speer TNT (its a spicey load). Neck shot, dropped her in her tracks. The round completely destroyed her trachea, broke her neck and then blew out the other side. Unfortunately I think I need to reduce the load, it made an awful mess of her. Its a 3 day doe only firearm season, right in the middle of archery season šŸ™„View attachment 505257
View attachment 505256
try a 125 SST instead. Those TNT's are a varmit bullet.

On the meat issue, I was raised that some meat is better than no meat. Neck shots with the B.O is a 1lb loss. Chest shots will blood shot the arm pits or more. pretty easy choice. The youngsters I'm taking are good shooters, deer are calm and usually laying down, so neck shots are the best option. No kick or wiggle makes for a great first experience with these youngsters.

The orchards we are in are not indicative of pass throughs, trees, equipment, nearby houses dictate that I want a bullet to come apart. If some part leaves the deer or bear it is not going to go far enough fast enough to do any damage.