300 blackout is too weak for deer (graphic)

wvbearhunter

I am kidding, smoked this doe at 123 yards. It was a heckuva fun stalk. I jumped her up from where she was bedded, she ran about 250 yards and stopped. I dont think she actually saw me but heard me, she was looking around after her run run but settled back down after a few minutes. I kept as many trees as possible between her line of sight and me. I got to 123 yards (per my range finder). I watched her until she stood back up and dropped the hammer. Rem 700 with a 16" barrel. 125 grain Speer TNT (its a spicey load). Neck shot, dropped her in her tracks. The round completely destroyed her trachea, broke her neck and then blew out the other side. Unfortunately I think I need to reduce the load, it made an awful mess of her. Its a 3 day doe only firearm season, right in the middle of archery season 🙄
20231026_115040.jpg

20231026_100032.jpg

I am kidding, smoked this doe at 123 yards. It was a heckuva fun stalk. I jumped her up from where she was bedded, she ran about 250 yards and stopped. I dont think she actually saw me but heard me, she was looking around after her run run but settled back down after a few minutes. I kept as many trees as possible between her line of sight and me. I got to 123 yards (per my range finder). I watched her until she stood back up and dropped the hammer. Rem 700 with a 16" barrel. 125 grain Speer TNT (its a spicey load). Neck shot, dropped her in her tracks. The round completely destroyed her trachea, broke her neck and then blew out the other side. Unfortunately I think I need to reduce the load, it made an awful mess of her. Its a 3 day doe only firearm season, right in the middle of archery season 🙄View attachment 505257
View attachment 505256
Wow!!!

It's a good thing that that doe wasn't intended for the table! WOW!

Maybe not so much the velocity…..perhaps the bullet type/construction is mostly responsible! memtb

I tried these and my rifle really likes them. This load blows primers in my AR but shoots great in the Remmy. The 110 Barnes are pretty slick as well
I tried Lil Gun and H110. Lil Gun got me around 2450 (****in hot) but popped some primers and was short cycling. Stuck with H110 and backed it off just under blowing primers. I think its 20.2 grains and just under 2400fps. Still HOT but reliable and one of my favorites in the safe.

I tried Lil Gun and H110. Lil Gun got me around 2450 (****in hot) but popped some primers and was short cycling. Stuck with H110 and backed it off just under blowing primers. I think its 20.2 grains and just under 2400fps. Still HOT but reliable and one of my favorites in the safe.
I use Lil Gun for my AR 300blk loads and for my 357 mag rifle loads. I can hit 2350 with a 158 grain xtp in my winchester 1892.

We shoot a lot of Muley does in the orchards with my 700 300 BO. 110 sierra hp or 130 speer hp, 90% are neck shot DRT, normally barely a pass through, just total devastation. Have been shooting the longer range deer 125 to 200 yards with 110 barnes tac's just above the elbow and am tickled with the results.
I've read some mixed reviews on those 110's. I have a stack loaded up I'd like to try on a buck but haven't yet. Have you seen decent expansion and damage even on shots that don't hit bone? Or do they need bone to expand?

I've read some mixed reviews on those 110's. I have a stack loaded up I'd like to try on a buck but haven't yet. Have you seen decent expansion and damage even on shots that don't hit bone? Or do they need bone to expand?
The ones I used worked perfectly. I shot a black bear in the shoulder a couple years ago. It broke both shoulders, obliterated them bones actually. It dropped him in his tracks. If I recall, the load was .5 under max and just over 80 yards.