357 Mag Pistol Deer Hunting

"I really need the deer to "drop." Every deer I shot have simply dropped in it's tracks, didn't flinch, no movement at all, just collapsed. That is the way I want them all to go."

It's time to stop then while you are ahead! Your combo can and will kill deer. As stated the 2x scope will make a world of difference. BUT as for clean DRT kills you are asking an awful lot of a handgun cartridge at 150 yard. And I can say with confidence you will have deer that run.

I am old enough to know that what " I want" and what I get are 2 different things. That is why I don't have a 44 magnum.

My "want' for a "humane kill" is a worthy goal; one which I will continue to "want" whether I get it or not.

"I am old enough to know that what " I want" and what I get are 2 different things. That is why I don't have a 44 magnum.

My "want' for a "humane kill" is a worthy goal; one which I will continue to "want" whether I get it or not."

I'm not trying to be an ***. I just know from killing a lot of deer that a 357 is not great for putting them down hard. I've only killed a few with handguns (9mm 40 ,45 and 357) but was never impressed with the results. Also seen deer go 50 yards hit with a rifle and their heart hanging out the exit hole with part of it missing. Shoot enough deer you will see them run, even on good text book lethal shots. Short of a high shoulder or CNS shot.

It is a worthy goal to want humane kills and I strive for them. At times I've gone a dozen straight DRT. All I am saying is mid size handguns (357) dont =DRT most of the time.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.