7.5 inch barreled blackout pistol for deer?

Thanks, what bullet have you used the most?

I have mostly used the cutting edge raptor over lil gun. But I worked with Steve from hammer to design his 99gr. I ran out of case for powder before I hit pressure and ran into the same min velocity issues as with Barnes. So Steve fixed both and made it a true 300 yards round for deer is your rig will hold a good group. On me if you go that route and I can give you some laid data

I have an 8" Noveske SBR that I have killed several Texas whitetail with and countless numbers of pigs and coyotes. I hand load and use the 110 grain Barnes TAC-TX bullets with the black tip (not the blue tip). These were specifically designed to expand at lower velocity threshold that the 300 Blackout provides. With my hand loads I get 2315fps but that's about the limit as it is a compressed charge of MP300 powder. I've tried multiple other bullets and the Barnes has been the proven performer time and time again when others have failed or been marginal.

My rifle is very accurate out to 300 yards with my loads but I'm not sure I would risk shooting at an animal at those distances.

Just curious if you ever tried the cutting edge or hammer?
I used to run those Barnes and liked them but felt the raptors and hammer were even better. Might be worth a try.

After I lost the first one that's what I thought so I zeroed at exactly the distance from my hide to the chickens. Didn't help. Tried three or four kinds of ammo mostly super. Same sight on the .223 I haven't lost anything. Heck same rifle and can just different barrel. BO just isn't for me and I don't recommend it to friends.

Ya a .223 is actually a better choice for those little guys lots of speed. Plus they also work well on deer and hogs with the right bullet. Even if the internet says otherwise.

I like it for vermin up to coyote size. I tried it as a culling rifle with 10 and 16" barrels. I tried it with every bullet I could load or cartridge in the box. I wanted it to work because it was quiet even in the supers. We tried it with hogs and it just wasn't there. It was O.K. if the shot was perfect but we had so many runaways. I tried at least 40 or 50 load combos. Subs are a bust. Boutique bullets are about the only way to go in the supers. When I started culling deer in MI it was the same. I use it on porcupines and late night raccoons and possum, things like that. A lot of people really talk it up. It looks good on paper too. I've literally put a blackout bullet of some sort into hundreds of animals while culling. I don't care for it for hunting.

I'm wanting to build a blackout pistol with a 7.5 inch barrel. I already have the parts for it and hopefully will be putting it together before too long. What are your recommendations for what ammo I should use for deer? Also, what kind of distance should I expect to be able to drop deer reliably with this set up. I have a primary arms microdot sight for it also.
Here's the barrel I'm using.

Vortex,
I would say from the reports coming back from my friends I have built 300 BLK AR's for that the 10.5" barrel would be much better choice for deer, the 125 grain nosler ballistic tip would be optimum, and be close to max on the powder.
I own a 7.5" 300 blackout pistol. it will do the job but I have built 10.5 to 16" carbines for friends that tell me that the 125 to 150 grain slugs are good for deer at distances below 250 yards. one loves the 110 grain varmint slug in his 10.5" barreled AR for deer. If you go with the 7.5" 300 BLK I would use a slightly faster slug, get it out there, make the slug do it's job better. I can not see any way to optimize the 300 BLK better than a lighter slug and a good amount of AA-1680. if you are serious about deer hunting with an AR I would make a 16" upper in 350 Legend, 300 Ham'r, 6.5 Gren, or 458 SOCOM.

Nice, thanks. I was wondering if anybody has used that bullet and how it performed.

I have also used the 125 gr Nosler BT in my 300 BLK rifles and though they are very accurate, I have not had as much success with them in regard to clean kills. My daughter actually lost a nice 10pt a couple years ago with a solid shoulder shot at 200 yds that knocked the deer down, then got up and ran off. He actually survived and it appeared the round dI'd not have enough energy at that distance to break the shoulder blade. The buck actually lived and recovered fully.

Had another instance with that bullet where a chest shot on a doe resulted in a long track and recovery. When we got the doe, it looked like she had been hit with a FMJ round. It just zipped through her with little to no expansion. I think that the bullet needs more velocity for proper expansion than the 300 BLK can achieve without losing accuracy.

Vortex,
I would say from the reports coming back from my friends I have built 300 BLK AR's for that the 10.5" barrel would be much better choice for deer, the 125 grain nosler ballistic tip would be optimum, and be close to max on the powder.
I own a 7.5" 300 blackout pistol. it will do the job but I have built 10.5 to 16" carbines for friends that tell me that the 125 to 150 grain slugs are good for deer at distances below 250 yards. one loves the 110 grain varmint slug in his 10.5" barreled AR for deer. If you go with the 7.5" 300 BLK I would use a slightly faster slug, get it out there, make the slug do it's job better. I can not see any way to optimize the 300 BLK better than a lighter slug and a good amount of AA-1680. if you are serious about deer hunting with an AR I would make a 16" upper in 350 Legend, 300 Ham'r, 6.5 Gren, or 458 SOCOM.
I have a 20 inch 6.5 Grendel that gets used for deer hunting when I know that I will have longer shot opportunities. I won't be taking the blackout for hunting large fields and such forth.

I shoot an 8 and 1/2 inch blackout at subsonic speeds with a Lehigh defense 194 maximum expansion and at 50 yard it's a clean pass through they run for a minute like an archery arrow and they're done. I load the projectiles myself with about 11 grains of CFE blackout. That's my friend in the picture his doe went 30 yards and piled over. To my surprise the 194 is also sub Moa in my pistol at 100 yards
IMG_20191120_180858_01.jpg

My family has killed 5 deer using the 300 Blackout. One good buck was shot and never recovered, and not counted in the 5 deer.

4 deer were shot using the Nosler 125 BT. It has been our experience this bullet needs and benefits from more velocity than the little Blackout is capable of pushing it to. (using a 30-06 downloaded for an 11 year old with the Nosler 125 BT at ~2600 fps was much a better killer). The Nosler 125 BT showed some expansion but not as much as I would have preferred. No bullet was ever recovered, with complete pass throughs and exit wounds weren't all that great, though expansion was evident.

A switch to the Barnes 110 TAC-TX produced better results on the 5th deer. So far, we've not killed anything more with the Barnes, but the Barnes 110 TAC-TX clearly showed better performance even with one deer being shot.

The Nosler 125 BT was my handloads and in one bolt gun was 2250 fps. The other gun is an AR15 at 2200 fps muzzle velocity. The Barnes 110 TAC-TX is going ~2450 fps from the AR15.

I like the 300 Blackout round, but it certainly is no real powerhouse.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.