Tikka T3x…..223 or 22-250?

You could just ream a 22-250AI chamber and run a 7" twist like I did, I see no advantage to a 22 Creedmoor.

Cheers.

Factory Alpha, Peterson, and Hornady brass with no fire forming. Probably more brass options in the future.

Small rifle primer brass available.

Factory ammo options if you don't feel like loading.

Better (and less expensive) die availability.

More reliable feeding.

Better load data with current bullets.

Factory rifle chamberings.

There's zero advantages to the AI and a lot to the Creedmoor.

Factory Alpha, Peterson, and Hornady brass with no fire forming. Probably more brass options in the future.

Small rifle primer brass available.

Factory ammo options if you don't feel like loading.

Better (and less expensive) die availability.

More reliable feeding.

Better load data with current bullets.

Factory rifle chamberings.

There's zero advantages to the AI and a lot to the Creedmoor.
I use SRP Lapua 22-250 brass, so your points are moot, nothing beats Lapua brass…
Don't know where you get better load data from, standard load data max loads are used to load AI cartridges and there is AMPLE load data out there, bullets are the same, fast twist data is plentiful as well.
I don't run factory loads, never have.
If you believe all the Hornady hype, go for it, performance is no better with the creed, simple fact.

Cheers.

If the 22-250's shorter barrel life isn't a concern, then that's what I recommend. Since you handload, you don't need to push it as fast as possible, while still being able to easily out-run the .223.

I use 50 grain BlitzKings in my old slow twist Savage, pushed to 3,800 fps, with tiny groups as the result.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of picking up a new truck gun/coyote calling rifle. Tikka makes both the .223 and 22-250 with 1-8 twist. I'm tooled for both reloading wise. Kinda leaning toward the .223 but feel free to talk me out of it.

Well, according to the internet, you can kill anything visible with the 223.

I shot out more than one 22-250 barrel even with the slow twist barrels of yore. The 22 Creedmoor interests me, but I don't know if it's even available as a factory offering.

I just bought a Tikka T3 Superlite 223 that the owner had LRI flute the bolt and chop and thread the muzzle and it has the 8 twist. I already had a couple thousand of the 64gr Nosler Bonded Solid Based blems from the sale that SPS ran, 500 of the 77gr TMKs and enough Lapua brass to choke and mule. I have several ARs with 7 and 8 twist 223 Wylde barrels, so that made my decision easy.

If I was empty of a 22 caliber, wanting a Tikka, it would be between the 223, ARC and Creedmoor and I still think I would go 223 for barrel life, low powder usage, cheap plinking rounds in a pinch. The only difference is, I would probably order a stripped stainless action and build the rifle I wanted instead of piecmealing the upgrades.

I really want a Dillon 1050 setup for 223 and 308.

I like the availability of .223. Tons of ammo everywhere, but hardly any 22-250 (in my area anyway). Brass for .223 is always laying around at my range. Seems like it's everywhere, and isn't hard to stockpile tons of it at little or no cost. Military type FMJ is also readily available. Police Dept and of course the military uses it so future availability should be no problem. I have never had a 22-250, but presently have (and had) several .223/5.56 rifles.

Last edited:
I use SRP Lapua 22-250 brass, so your points are moot, nothing beats Lapua brass…
Don't know where you get better load data from, standard load data max loads are used to load AI cartridges and there is AMPLE load data out there, bullets are the same, fast twist data is plentiful as well.
I don't run factory loads, never have.
If you believe all the Hornady hype, go for it, performance is no better with the creed, simple fact.

Cheers.

My point isn't moot because you can't even get that brass anymore. For a while Lapua wasn't making 22-250 brass at all and now it's all large rifle. I've also purchased and used thousands and thousands of Lapua cases and Alpha brass is absolutely better brass than Lapua.

22 Creedmoor has all the advantages I listed and 22-250AI doesn't have one single advantage over it.

My point isn't moot because you can't even get that brass anymore. For a while Lapua wasn't making 22-250 brass at all and now it's all large rifle. I've also purchased and used thousands and thousands of Lapua cases and Alpha brass is absolutely better brass than Lapua.

22 Creedmoor has all the advantages I listed and 22-250AI doesn't have one single advantage over it.
Laughable…yes your point IS moot.
I have 1000 Lapua SRP cases for 22-250, I knew it was a short run, so bought up as much as I could.
Buy your Alpha brass, makes zero difference to me and, Creedmoor has zero advantages no matter what cal you talk about, it's just a Creedmoor, nothing special at all, like ALL Hornady HYPE cartridges…

Cheers

Recent Posts