Tikka T3X Lite Compact 223

houser52

This rifle is stamped 223 on the barrel and I've tried researching as to whether it is safe to fire 5.56 in it. Nothing that I can find tells me if it will handle the 5.56. The owner's manual is not caliber specific so that doesn't help. There are differences of opinion from various online comments.

I'm not looking for any reloading data.

Does anyone know for sure if the T3X Lite 223 will safely shoot 5.56?

Thanks

The lawyer approved answer is to only fire .223 Rem ammo in your gun marked .223 Rem.

But...are you okay pushing outside the box a bit? No bolt action rifle has blown up from firing 5.56 ammo in a .223 Rem chamber. So, there is that.

Does that mean pressure is always 62,000 psi or less doing so? Maybe not. If you fire a round of 5.56 and see pressure signs (ejector marks, flattened or pierced primers, heavy/hard bolt lift) then your answer, for your rifle & that particular ammo is, "No, it is not safe."

But if you don't see or feel any signs of high pressure, I would fire away & not think anything of it. But...that's me. You have to do you. If you are a by the book, cautious, drive the speed limit kinda guy, stick to .223 Rem. If you like to push limits and 'test' things now and again, give it a go & see what you think.

The lawyer approved answer is to only fire .223 Rem ammo in your gun marked .223 Rem.

But...are you okay pushing outside the box a bit? No bolt action rifle has blown up from firing 5.56 ammo in a .223 Rem chamber. So, there is that.

Does that mean pressure is always 62,000 psi or less doing so? Maybe not. If you fire a round of 5.56 and see pressure signs (ejector marks, flattened or pierced primers, heavy/hard bolt lift) then your answer, for your rifle & that particular ammo is, "No, it is not safe."

But if you don't see or feel any signs of high pressure, I would fire away & not think anything of it. But...that's me. You have to do you. If you are a by the book, cautious, drive the speed limit kinda guy, stick to .223 Rem. If you like to push limits and 'test' things now and again, give it a go & see what you think.
SAAMI might list the 223 at 55kpsi, but CIP has the 223rem at the exact same pressure as 5.56. 62,366psi(4300bar) for both.