Fun with Tikka t3x lite 270 win

D in lv

I just picked up a new 270 win Tikka t3x lite stainless steel. Added a 3x9 leupold vii2, duplex scope, level bubble and sling, total weight 7.2#. Adjusted trigger pull and opened a tight spot in the "plastic" stock.
Initial break-in procedure as normal. Nothing fancy. Tried some 130 grain Sierra flat base. Worked up to 59 grains 4831 with no pressure signs, a couple mils short of jammed. Clocked in at 3101 FPS but wouldn't be surprised if it picks up a little as the barrel seasons. First two 3 shot groups on paper at 100 yards, 0.8" & 0.9" off a bench rest and Harris bipod. Both groups included the cold barrel first shot, the most important one for hunters.

This rig is intended for pack in blacktail deer hunting in Pacific Northwest coastal rain forest. Brush trees open clear cuts weather and lots of miles. A lot of glassing with still hunting mixed in. Basically 0-500 yards and usually not a lot of time to set up for shots but stumps everywhere. I'm guessing that historically most shots fall in the 150-350 yard range. Those ranges fall in the sweet spot for 270 win and 3x9 optics. Basically point and shot.

Recoil is lighter than I expected, it's easy to keep both eyes open and on target through the shot, so the recoil pad and stock design must be okay. The relatively light 130 grain bullet probably helps as well.

The 3 round clip is nonmetal as is the floor plate (with metal bushings) and the bolt shroud, a little cheesy but saves weight. The clip is a little short for 270 win, I can touch lans with a loaded round now but as the barrel wears I probably won't. Spare clips cost around $60 which seems high and I can't remember needing four shots anyway.

The stock sounds hollow but I don't think I'll fill it.

The kick block Looks weak, it's a separate piece of aluminum that inserts tightly into the stock and into a thin slot in the action. I would prefer another ounce for an integral steel kick block.

Its difficult to single feed rounds, though there is an adapter for that purpose.

I will not feel at all bad about shooting this little rig too pieces as my primary practice rig, saving wear on my custom barrels.

My goal is 3 shots touching a 1 moa dot at 100 yard intervals out to 500 yards, bench rest groups. It looks capable of that. Next will be simulated field rest conditions to determine the difference in expected group size, prone, sitting and leaning with particular attention to the first cold barrel shot.

Lots of fun with a 1 moa rig.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.