223 or 22-250

tommyc279

Building my first long range rig stevens 200 action, custom barrel, timney trigger, bushnell 3200 eltie 10x tactical scope, and boyd stock! I am between 223 or 22-250 what i am looking for is a very accurate gun for target and varmints. The most accurate gun is my goal! I am thinking 1-7 twist for the 223 or 1-9 twist 22-250. would prefer factory loads but i know i may have to start reloading.

In a quality built rifle there will be no difference in the accuracy potential of these two rounds.

Personally, I prefer the 22-250. It will do anything the .223 will do and more. It is also much better at launching the heavy bullets (69gr-80gr) than the .223.

However, seeing that you do not load, you would be better served with a .223 where there is an abundance of factory ammo including a lot of discounted military ammo. This would provide much more trigger time at a reasonable rate. The other advantage of the .223 is longer barrel life.

As to the 7 twist - I would much rather have a 9" twist which would shoot everything from the 50gr bullets (or lighter) on up to the 75gr bullets. If you intend to limit your shooting to 40-55gr bullets than any 12" would work fine

Last edited:
coin toss

I just got back from the range shooting my Rem 700 in 22-250. Shot some nice .3 MOA groups with my handloads. I found 3 accuracy nodes with different powder charges.

However, when I was trying to sight it in yesterday with a new scope using factory ammo, I though I would end up trading it at the Gun Show this weekend. I couldn't get a 4" group a 100 yards with 2 boxes of factory ammo.

Bottom line, 22-250 if you will want to learn reloading, or 223 if you just want to grab a box of factory ammo and fire away.

Just my 2cents
Rocky

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.