222, 223, 220, 22 BR, 22-250, 22 Creed

I had one and loved it for varmints and fur. Should have never sold it.
We have several configuration options of 17WSM barreled actions and prefit kits in stock. Triggers, actions, stocks, barrels, etc.

wV2ISuXh.jpg

Though I think it would be prudent to get back on topic, as this is about centerfire 22cal specifically.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I couldn't get the 80ELD to shoot at all in my 8 twist so I switched to a 77TMK and groups immediately tightened up. 75ELD's are basically the same as the 77TMK as far as velocity and accuracy are concerned. I think I was on the ragged edge of stability with the 80's, especially in winter temps. When I re-barrel it will be a 22" with a 7 twist. I agree that 3100 would be the sweet spot and I can tell there is another node in that velocity range, but my shorty 20" barrel doesn't quite have enough poop without running some pretty stiff loads. Another 50fps would probably get me there.
The problem we found in Hornady ELDs is the inconsistencies in some, on BTO, weight, and diameter. In the case of a Wylde chamber that is properly done with reamer spec'ed to the original Wylde with 0.2240 freebore diameter, will not allow some ELDs to chamber easily in s bolt gun when ran slowly to chamber. In ARs the issue does not show easily (buffer system will shove the round in) except when you are trying to establish CBTO. We mic'ed some ELDs with certified Mits in a steady room temp and humidity (no access to calibrations lab), we found some range from 0.2239 to 0.2242. BTO, the spread range was 0.005.

This may very well be a certain lot issues, but the small sample was enough to stop us from running them at 600 and 1000 yard service rifle (223 Remington only) matches. I personally use 80 VLDs, some of my friends use the 85.5s.

We are looking to purchase several Reamers to chamber for the .224 Crowd.
The 22 Caliber (.224) has been around a long time for Varmint Hunting and also getting popular in PRS.
We have newer cartridges out there and always the wildcats.
We shoot a .223 in a RRA AR for Coyotes, Hogs, PD and Chucks and IMO it is a great cartridge. I have hunted with friends that use a 22-250 and we match up our .204 with them for Chucks out to 500 yds.
I do know that the .224 cartridge depends on the bullet weight, Twist rate, FPS. Is the cartridge going to be accurate, DROP, buck the wind, be a barrel burner?
I also know a few PRS shooters that are going with a 22BR for accuracy, DROP, and bucking the wind. Right there that is telling us something if Competition shooters are using and winning about a cartridge.

The .223 will always be here, but what is everyone looking for in a Great Varmint/Predator Cartridge? Higher Velocities, Heavier Bullets, Less Drop
Besides the AIs and Wildcats.
Looking for a cartridge that can be reloaded rather easy and have components available with minimal fireforming.
Is it still going to be the popular 22-250?
The 223
The 220
The 22 Creed?
The 22 BR?
What else?

Thanks much for your knowledge and experience!
Len & Jill
Loving my recently built 6mm TCU. Sure it has to be fire formed, but they shoot really well.

What I'll add is that I rechambered a 22-250 Remington VLS, factory barrel, with a 22x6mm Remington (224 TTH). It was strictly a groundhog rifle. I hot rodded 55 grain ballistic tips to 4020 fps. Out to 250 yard I could see the g'hogs get hit in the scope before the rifle recoiled enough to move off target. I ran it as hot as possible and would only get 3 firings from a piece of Remington 6mm Rem brass. The 4th firing would oversize the primer pocket to leak. The barrel lasted 700 rounds. Now I have an 8 twist Lilja 3 groove that is waiting to be cut to shoot heavy bullets so I'll get more barrel life. I don't know if you'd get much call for a 224 TTH, but I was so impressed with the speed and the consistent low to mid .3 groups that it shot out of a factory barrel, that I'm going to do it again with a custom. One thing I would suggest, is to get a very short freebore on the reamer, and then use a throater depending on what bullet is to be used.

Last edited:
The problem we found in Hornady ELDs is the inconsistencies in some, on BTO, weight, and diameter. In the case of a Wylde chamber that is properly done with reamer spec'ed to the original Wylde with 0.2240 freebore diameter, will not allow some ELDs to chamber easily in s bolt gun when ran slowly to chamber. In ARs the issue does not show easily (buffer system will shove the round in) except when you are trying to establish CBTO. We mic'ed some ELDs with certified Mits in a steady room temp and humidity (no access to calibrations lab), we found some range from 0.2239 to 0.2242. BTO, the spread range was 0.005.

This may very well be a certain lot issues, but the small sample was enough to stop us from running them at 600 and 1000 yard service rifle (223 Remington only) matches. I personally use 80 VLDs, some of my friends use the 85.5s.
I've been hearing more and more about this and it's got me thinking about switching from 200ELDX to 215 VLD's in my 300WM, but for what I'm doing with my 22BR, the 75's are fine and they are effective on varmints.

I have a pair of Bartlein barreled .22 BRs. One with a 7 twist that shoots 77 and 80gr bullets with accuracy. The other with an 8 twist that likes Berger 73 gr bullets. I have worn out a Brux barrel in the same caliber. The last trip to the range, I sorted cases by weight. A simple attempt at evening the volume. I shot several remarkable groups with 80 gr Sierra MKs that had been trimed and pointed. The six shot group represents all of the cases available with the same weight. These are made from 6mm BR Peterson cases. I have shot excellent groups with VV N-140, Varget, SO-62 "Precision" and Reloader 16. All groups with these rifles are shot at 540 yards. I shoot lesser cartridges like .222 Remington Magnum, .223 Remington, .204 Ruger, .17 Fireball, 6mm X 45 Remington, 6mm PPC at 300 yards.

Attachments

• Tg 4 29 22.jpg
    Tg 4 29 22.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 57
You should try a 20-250 AI with a fast twist. Grafs still has over 1800 boxes of the 55gr. Berger in 20 cal. That long 20 cal bullet flies very flat for a long ways. I happen to have a reamer and head space gages too!
How long of barrel and what twist, this sounds interesting!!
Also what is your speed and load?

What I'll add is that I rechambered a 22-250 Remington VLS, factory barrel, with a 22x6mm Remington (224 TTH). It was strictly a groundhog rifle. I hot rodded 55 grain ballistic tips to 4020 fps. Out to 250 yard I could see the g'hogs get hit in the scope before the rifle recoiled enough to move off target. I ran it as hot as possible and would only get 3 firings from a piece of Remington 6mm Rem brass. The 4th firing would oversize the primer pocket to leak. The barrel lasted 700 rounds. Now I have an 8 twist Lilja 3 groove that is waiting to be cut to shoot heavy bullets so I'll get more barrel life. I don't know if you'd get much call for a 224 TTH, but I was so impressed with the speed and the consistent low to mid .3 groups that it shot out of a factory barrel, that I'm going to do it again with a custom. One thing I would suggest, is to get a very short freebore on the reamer, and then use a throater depending on what bullet is to be used.
You won't get that many more shooting 75's. Mine has a SS Shilen. It shot like that too, with bonded hunting bullets. Shot better with 75 Amax. It is more like 1/2-3/4 now. still plenty good for coyotes and deer, but it looks like the side of a volcano inside. Has a similar round count as yours. You are right about one thing, it is a very accurate cartridge. I have never had a 220 that shot this well. Mine has had mostly RE22 and Ramshot Magnum shot through it, 50grs a pop.

We are looking to purchase several Reamers to chamber for the .224 Crowd.
The 22 Caliber (.224) has been around a long time for Varmint Hunting and also getting popular in PRS.
We have newer cartridges out there and always the wildcats.
We shoot a .223 in a RRA AR for Coyotes, Hogs, PD and Chucks and IMO it is a great cartridge. I have hunted with friends that use a 22-250 and we match up our .204 with them for Chucks out to 500 yds.
I do know that the .224 cartridge depends on the bullet weight, Twist rate, FPS. Is the cartridge going to be accurate, DROP, buck the wind, be a barrel burner?
I also know a few PRS shooters that are going with a 22BR for accuracy, DROP, and bucking the wind. Right there that is telling us something if Competition shooters are using and winning about a cartridge.

The .223 will always be here, but what is everyone looking for in a Great Varmint/Predator Cartridge? Higher Velocities, Heavier Bullets, Less Drop
Besides the AIs and Wildcats.
Looking for a cartridge that can be reloaded rather easy and have components available with minimal fireforming.
Is it still going to be the popular 22-250?
The 223
The 220
The 22 Creed?
The 22 BR?
What else?

Thanks much for your knowledge and experience!
Len & Jill
I really like the 22PPC, it's not on your list but I shoot it short range benchrest and when the barrels have just lost their competition edge they are down graded to hunting. The head size is a bit of a turn off being between 222Rem and 22.250. That's why when starting from scratch I suggest 22BR or 222Rem mag depending on the donor action you may have.

It started out as 28 in Kreiger barrel as a regular 20-250. I just recently had it Ackley improved and they cut about an inch off. I'm getting right at 3850 fps consistently with 40gr of superformance. It is a 9 twist.
Also, you might need to try 31 Hammer Hunter and get into the 4000 fps range!