22-250AI or 22 creed

A 22 creed Has more capacity than a 250ai. If you fire a straight 250 in a creed chamber, the brass comes out .02 to .03 short. The creed case is on average A little over 100 fps faster than the 250 ai with heavies. With the 55gr and lighter bullets there isn't a lick of difference. It's not super special. In my opinion it's just easier and faster. Shoot whatever floats your boat.

Thought I recalled the guy in the video saying a 22 Creedmoor only shoots about 30-50fps faster than a 22-250AI, which probably really means it's they are about the same.

Like I've said before, you can't hotrod one, and not the other, then claim how one shoots so much faster.

I have never shot heavy bullets in the 22-250AI just 50-55gr.
I am getting my info from folks who have so maybe they load light loads I don't really know.
I can say one thing about case capacity.... if you run a 22-250 AI case into a 22Creedmoor die it won't even touch the sides of the die until it bottoms on the shellholder. So I am not sure how it can have more capacity?
There probably isn't enough difference in the two to really fret over but the fact there is no fire forming on the 22 Creedmoor and quality SR primer brass makes it appealing. I hope to get one more coyote season out of this barrel and then I will build another. Didn't think I would shoot so many deer with it honestly but it's been impressive on Whitetails.

I shot several of the 22 Wildcats thru the years! My favorite is the 224 Durham Jet
(22-243 improved with shoulder set back .30 for longer neck) It clearly has a little better velocity than 22CR across the bullet spectrum. Have built a 22-284 and it is clearly too overbore for my use and have had 22-250AI and Swift improved!
Just now made a decision to build a 22CR in 22" with 8 twist to shoot 75 EOL bergers!
Plan to shoot everything from Oregon Sage Rats, praire dogs, coyotes, fox, and even and antelope or two this year! Hope it will prove to be my "pickup rifle" during the off season. Just one more thing to play with!
Doc

Made the decision and settled on the 22CM, Sent the rifle off to LRI today. Brass seems to be very easy to make from 6mm CM. I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do.

Personally I would run my brass from straight 6.5 brass as I have gotten best consistency going that route. I have used Starline/ Hornady/ Lapua/Federal 6.5 Creedmoor Brass So far. All will size in one easy pass thru a Whidden 22 CreedmoorFL die.
If you try to take down with bushings you have to step down with about a .260 bushing.... and then deal with the donuts at some point.

Really the only reason would be not having to fire form. My dad built a 22-250 AI with a 7 twist shilen. Currently the barrel is back to shilen(again) as we can't get anything below moa. He says if he could he'd rather the 22 creed just because he doesn't like fire forming. If it was me, I'd stick with the 22-250 AI. It should have a slight edge over the 22 creed. Brass is everywhere. Initial load development with rl-26 yealded 3550 with a 75 grain eld.
Try some 760 . Im getting 3643 with a 75 g berger VLD.

So, given that the 22-250AI can be easily done and chambered, why would one bother with another round that does the same thing but with proprietary components? I'm looking to do a hot 224 for when my 260 dies. I'd like to run the 95gr SMK for long range low recoil. With a .600 G1 bc, I can't over look it.

So, when the 22-250AI will run the same speeds as the 22 creed, with much easier to find brass, barrels and dies, why would I want to go creed?

Hmm ! Where can you FIND 22-250 Rem AI factory brass with the correct headstamp ?? WP

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.