7-300 weatherby?

There is a local gunsmith near me who has a 7/300 Weatherby Ruger no 1 with dies hanging on the wall for $999.
I guess what I want to know is if it's worth picking up. I shoot long range for accuracy for fun and I seen this and had never heard of it. I'm intrigued by it and would like to know what everyone thinks?

There is a local gunsmith near me who has a 7/300 Weatherby Ruger no 1 with dies hanging on the wall for $999.
I guess what I want to know is if it's worth picking up. I shoot long range for accuracy for fun and I seen this and had never heard of it. I'm intrigued by it and would like to know what everyone thinks?
With Rl33 or N570 or 8133. You should see 28 nosler velcocity. Being a single shot if it's tight in the throat have that extended out and you will have a screamer for sure. Just confirm the twist is tight enough for the bullet you choose to use

It's going to be essentially the same ballistics as a 7mm STW and a .28 Nosler.

I would make sure it has a 1:9 or faster twist before purchase... If it's slower than a 1:9, I would stay away.

morning, I have a 340. I would not change nothing about the caliber.
u can go 180 or lower-250gr or higher bullet weight.
there is not an animal in the continental USA, Alaska,
or in some cases Africa u can not kill. just me GBOT TUM
He wants a long range rifle, going with the lighter, lower BC bullets defeats his main purpose.

He wants a long range rifle, going with the lighter, lower BC bullets defeats his main purpose.
I'd just go with the 7mm STW to avoid all the issues with wildcatting, they are ballistic equals in just about every respect.

The other option would be to go with the 28 Nosler.

All three will run within about 100fps all else being equal.
I like oddballs and unique guns but that seems like it's only upside

It's going to be essentially the same ballistics as a 7mm STW and a .28 Nosler.

I would make sure it has a 1:9 or faster twist before purchase... If it's slower than a 1:9, I would stay away.
I'll have to piggyback this. Love the Number One and the 7-300wm is a great round, just be sure it's got at least a 1:9 if not a faster twist.

I have been shooting the 7-300 weatherby for several years. Started with a 7 stw then switched to the 7-300 when stw brass got scarce. They are virtually identical. I used stw data to work up loads. Weatherby brass is plentiful and I have been very pleased with the cartridge. I am shooting the 180 hybrid at 3150 and not a max load with imr 7828. The only drawback I see to the 28 nosler is only 1 source of brass.
You can also make 7mm STW brass from WBY brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.