7-300 weatherby?

I would keep the 340, reload heavier bullets and shoot it to see if it works for what you are wanting. I would probably shy from rebarreling it though, I hate to sacrifice an already good shooter for something new. Trade or sell it if it is not what you end up wanting, there are tons of good LR beginner rigs on the market that will suit you just as well and be cheaper in the long run.

Figure a good rebarrel job, brass, dies, and other accoutrements is going to run you $1000+/-. Add that to the value of the rifle you already have and you could pick up a pretty decent factory rifle and have a lot of money left over for bullets and powder.

7STW is not a wildcat and has virtually the same case capacity
as 7-300Wby, and you have more sources for brass.
Just a thought.
I shot 7x300 wby for many years, killed a lot of deer out to 1400 yds. It depends how far you want to go! I allways shot the 162 hornadys or the 168 matchkings they both worked great. i have changed to 338-378 and 338 408 for the last 15 or so years! They handle the wind much better! But out to 1100-1200 that old 7-300 would do the job.Maybe have one of each LOL But beware when a nice one shows up, you will reach for the biggest one. Just like a par 5 biggest club in the bag!

I have been using 7x300 Wbys for hunting for about 45 years.
They are pretty much as good as it gets with 7mms.
There are others as good, and even a few having higher velocity potential.
I switched to 7828 powder years ago, and it made a much better cartridge out of it. I still use 162 gr match bullets and have no trouble achieving velocities in the 3400 range. The 340 case has the same capacity, so you could use that brass if you have much of it. Bruce Baer uses 340 brass with his 284 Baer, and also his 308 Baer.
All that said, if i had my life to live over, i doubt id be building any 7mm for long range hunting. When i started, they were the most popular because of the bullets available. And they will do a good job, but frankly i feel there are better choices today than 7mm.
Also, a 700 action is all that's required if your really hell bent on a 7mm.
The Wetherby action offers an opportunity for other choices needing a larger bolt face, and that's the direction i recomend you go.
You will drive a 190 gr bullet from a 300 Norma as fast as a 162 from the 7x300, and there is no comparison in the reaction of an animal hit at longer ranges between the 2 guns.
The other better option would be a 338 like a 338x378 or a Lapua improved using 250 gr bullets for the higher velocity potential.
There is really no advantage to the larger 338 bullets unless your going beyond 1500 yds.
Use the action you have to its fullest, and don't regret not having a 7mm.

I shot 7x300 wby for many years, killed a lot of deer out to 1400 yds. It depends how far you want to go! I allways shot the 162 hornadys or the 168 matchkings they both worked great. i have changed to 338-378 and 338 408 for the last 15 or so years! They handle the wind much better! But out to 1100-1200 that old 7-300 would do the job.Maybe have one of each LOL But beware when a nice one shows up, you will reach for the biggest one. Just like a par 5 biggest club in the bag!
Very true!! It all depends on what you want. I would hate to be hunting with a 1300 yard gun and see the largest buck of my lifetime at 1700 yards! Better to have the gun that will shoot the farthest if you are going to long range hunt. At least the best that you can afford. Always seems that the bigger the better is the way to go as far as long range hunting is concerned, or military snipers. The 50 cal. would be next on my list after the 338-378; Then probably a Mortar round! Best of luck to everyone in 2018.

It seems the consensus is that the 340 is a little short in the britches for really long range hunting. And there are potential issues with range for the 7mm's in wind.??
Is that the summary ??
I honestly have not shot 1000yds before. I had opportunity to in Kansas last month and was not prepared at all. I do not wish to repeat that mistake..I am unsure weather i need to go to a more efficient 338 (i.e. 338-378, 338 allen) or a really powerful 7mm....

right now i can not imagine a shot at 1700+ yds. especially at a deer sized animal..
Now,.. that certainly doesnt mean as some of you have clearly stated..If the animal of a lifetime is at that range Wel,.. then I could clearly imagine it..:D

My thoughts on the 1,300 vs. 1,700 yard deer shot...

Unless you're disabled, or shooting straight up or down a mountain, or across a river, If you can't close a gap of 400 yards when you're target game is already over 1,000 yards away, then you need to find a new hobby... I've had hen turkeys run beside me and only miss me by a couple feet, and never notice me. I've had curious does walk up and sniff my boots while I was leaned up against a tree during turkey season. I've snuck up on deer and turkeys within 10-15 yards of them combat belly-crawling through the woods. Everyone acts like these animals are impossible to get closer to, and that you NEED a huge cartridge to reach out there.

Thanks for that..Its easy to get distracted with shooting vs hunting.
I am guilty of getting sidetracked easily

right now i can not imagine a shot at 1700+ yds. especially at a deer sized animal..
Now,.. that certainly doesnt mean as some of you have clearly stated..If the animal of a lifetime is at that range Wel,.. then I could clearly imagine it..:D
I have talked to guys that have actually killed elk over 2000 yards, with the 38-378. You have to hit the vitals on an elk the same as you do a white tail or mule deer. The guns my friends use aren't shoulder guns they are heavy barreled bench guns, that are the most accurate. And as far as a buck or elk of a lifetime is concerned, I would not shoot at it that far, or at any distance unless I was sure that I could kill it and not wound it. Good luck hunting and be safe.

I agree. That is what partially began the search is i knew last month in Kansas when presented with truly long range shots I was only prepared to shoot @ a max of 500..
So.. I did not take a Shot at all
Thanks. I just wanted to make clear very that wasn't my intention...:)

Y
My thoughts on the 1,300 vs. 1,700 yard deer shot...

Unless you're disabled, or shooting straight up or down a mountain, or across a river, If you can't close a gap of 400 yards when you're target game is already over 1,000 yards away, then you need to find a new hobby... I've had hen turkeys run beside me and only miss me by a couple feet, and never notice me. I've had curious does walk up and sniff my boots while I was leaned up against a tree during turkey season. I've snuck up on deer and turkeys within 10-15 yards of them combat belly-crawling through the woods. Everyone acts like these animals are impossible to get closer to, and that you NEED a huge cartridge to reach out there.
You must smell pretty good!! HA, HA, HA; Just joking, but that is what they do, shoot form one mountain to another. Steep side hills, that is the only way you can see them. If it was flat you would not be able to see through the trees, unless you were in wide open space, not the case here. In PA they shoot the same way but usually not as far, the places they hunt elk out west have bigger mountains and are farther apart. They are not like the TV shows where you can circle around to another hill and be closer. Even here in PA , if you move sometimes as little as a few yards in any one direction you lose sight of the animal that's on the opposite mountain. After the kill most times you will need to communicate with someone from where the shot was made from to people retrieving the animal on the other mountain because you have no way of telling where you are in relation to where the animal is laying dead. This is done by two way radios or if you can get service , by phone. You can not hunt places like I am talking about by yourself, if you were lucky enough to kill something you would probably never be able to find it. This is what they like to do and they know what their weapons are capable of. If a shot is questionable they will move off the animal and find something the same range and take a sighter or two. That is all that is needed if you see where you hit, and they can with the glasses that they have. Once they are on target they move back onto the animal, next shot is usually a killer no matter how far! It is something you can't really comprehend until you see them do it. It is technology and they know how to apply it. And this is there hobby, and they love it and have perfected it. You may not agree, but then again you probably never seen it done in Alabama, because it doesn't have the mountains PA does. Here in PA this type of hunting is BIG!! Good luck in the way each of you hunt, and try not to put someone elses way of hunting down.

Y

You must smell pretty good!! HA, HA, HA; Just joking, but that is what they do, shoot form one mountain to another. Steep side hills, that is the only way you can see them. If it was flat you would not be able to see through the trees, unless you were in wide open space, not the case here. In PA they shoot the same way but usually not as far, the places they hunt elk out west have bigger mountains and are farther apart. They are not like the TV shows where you can circle around to another hill and be closer. Even here in PA , if you move sometimes as little as a few yards in any one direction you lose sight of the animal that's on the opposite mountain. After the kill most times you will need to communicate with someone from where the shot was made from to people retrieving the animal on the other mountain because you have no way of telling where you are in relation to where the animal is laying dead. This is done by two way radios or if you can get service , by phone. You can not hunt places like I am talking about by yourself, if you were lucky enough to kill something you would probably never be able to find it. This is what they like to do and they know what their weapons are capable of. If a shot is questionable they will move off the animal and find something the same range and take a sighter or two. That is all that is needed if you see where you hit, and they can with the glasses that they have. Once they are on target they move back onto the animal, next shot is usually a killer no matter how far! It is something you can't really comprehend until you see them do it. It is technology and they know how to apply it. And this is there hobby, and they love it and have perfected it. You may not agree, but then again you probably never seen it done in Alabama, because it doesn't have the mountains PA does. Here in PA this type of hunting is BIG!! Good luck in the way each of you hunt, and try not to put someone elses way of hunting down.
Well said, been doing it for 45 or so years, it is more of an art then shooting. Most deer are killed by the man in the bino,s Where we hunt it is across a road , a creek and half way up the other mountain! I could also say if you are a woods hunter and miss a deer standing at 200 or less you should not be in the woods Just my opinion

I don't know anybody first hand who has killed a deer at a mile in PA. I know it's been done, but not by anybody i know.
And i have known, and still know quite a few l/r hunters there.
We as a rule can hunt and shoot only as far as the conditions will permit, even though there are numerous places that will allow it.
And by and large, that is far less than a mile in PA.
You also cant shoot what you haven't found, and regardless of the quality of the optics you have, brown on brown posses a big problem at extreme distances.
Ive watched lots of deer hit and killed since ive been doing this.
Most have been with the 7mms, and by and large the results have been satisfactory. 1200 has been my personal best, and even though hit well, i felt it was further than i would attempt another with a 7x300. Hit them with a heavier bullet at about the same velocity and there is a noticeable difference. Even then its not always bang and they flop over dead. But you will get the impression that things are more under control in my opinion.
I'm not so sure id personally build another large 338 either, at least for strictly hunting use.
There isn't any doubt that if i were to have one choice, for me that choice would be a 300 Norma, and id be using a Wetherby action.
And i say that after having owned and used a wildcat clone for many years. I don't feel a comparison can be made with a 7mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.