300 Weatherby

It's a old cartridge that has stood the test of time. I'm thinking about working.me up some for either 270 weatherby or 7mm weatherby just got those last year. But haven't really shot either much. Let me know how you come out on your m70

I have 168gr Barnes TTSX loaded in 300 weatherby over 79.5gr of IMR7828 and they showed 3240.

That was just a starting load, but it shot 5/8" @ 100 yards so I didn't proceed any further. This is a box stock weatherby Vanguard with a muzzle brake.

I have 168gr Barnes TTSX loaded in 300 weatherby over 79.5gr of IMR7828 and they showed 3240.

That was just a starting load, but it shot 5/8" @ 100 yards so I didn't proceed any further. This is a box stock weatherby Vanguard with a muzzle brake.
It is interesting. The Barnes data I have shows 80.5-85.5 grns of IMR7828ssc. You can't argue with results, just an observation. Good load

It is interesting. The Barnes data I have shows 80.5-85.5 grns of IMR7828ssc. You can't argue with results, just an observation. Good load
I was surprised too. I am using RP brass so maybe it has less capacity than true weatherby.

With 7828 non-SSC the case is pretty full with 79.5gr and magazine length bullet seating depths.

i shoot the same bullet at 3260 from my 300 wsm. it has been a deadly killer on 100+ head of big game in canada, wa, wyoming and over 20 trips to south africa.

I'm looking to buy a wsm just not sure on what rifle
i have 2, 300 wsm, both win 70, 2 7mm wsm, one mod 70 win, one pierce, 1 270 wsm in a kimber. my go to rifle is a win mod 70 totally reworked with a 26 in benchmark barrel, wayne york hunter stock. i thin probably tge best is the 7 wsm but brass , for some unexplainable reason is an issue. i bought 1000 rds when i found it. the are all gr8 guns!

I would like to share a page from a NORMA Powders reloading Guide on loading for Weatherby Magnum cartridges . This Norma Guide is from the year 2008 , if I remember correctly .

On Weatherby Magnum Cartridges , beginning with the .240 Wby. Mag. up through the .416 Wby. Mag. , only Norma MRP (Magnum Rifle Powder) powder is used , and all except the .240 Wby. Mag. use the Federal 215 primers . The .240 uses Federal 210 primers .
This reloading information is also the Load Data and components used in NORMA Factory Loaded Ammunition for their Weatherby Magnum Ammunition .

Please note the velocities of the .300 Wby. Mag. with the 180 gr. bullet showing a max. velocity of 3297 FPS , and the 200 gr. bullet with a max. velocity of 3150 FPS .

Also shown are the .224 Wby. Mag. and the .460 Wby. Mag. cartridges , but they use different powders .

I presume that the velocities listed were from a 26" barrel , although the .340 Wby. Mag. data shows the 250 gr. Woodleigh bullet with a maximum velocity of 2986 FPS ,
where I actually chronographed velocity in 2 different Weatherby Mark V rifles .
3090 FPS average in rifle #1 (my brother's Weatherby Custom Shop with 26" Kreiger cut-rifled barrel)
and 3040 FPS average in rifle #2 , my .340 Wby. Mag. rifle with 26" Douglas Premium XX stainless barrel .
My brother's Custom Shop rifle is a thin contour barrel mounted in a #3 grade Walnut stock with upward pressure point under barrel at fore end of stock , and it will shoot 3 bullets through the same hole at 100 yards . It is the most accurate "Magnum Class Cartridge" rifle that I have ever shot , or seen .

In my experience using the MRP powder , I have found it to be relatively stable in different temperature changes .
Now , if you can find the NORMA MRP powder ???

DMP25-06

Attachments

• Weatherby Magnum reload Data - Norma.jpeg
    Weatherby Magnum reload Data - Norma.jpeg
    269.1 KB · Views: 62
I would like to share a page from a NORMA Powders reloading Guide on loading for Weatherby Magnum cartridges . This Norma Guide is from the year 2008 , if I remember correctly .

On Weatherby Magnum Cartridges , beginning with the .240 Wby. Mag. up through the .416 Wby. Mag. , only Norma MRP (Magnum Rifle Powder) powder is used , and all except the .240 Wby. Mag. use the Federal 215 primers . The .240 uses Federal 210 primers .
This reloading information is also the Load Data and components used in NORMA Factory Loaded Ammunition for their Weatherby Magnum Ammunition .

Please note the velocities of the .300 Wby. Mag. with the 180 gr. bullet showing a max. velocity of 3297 FPS , and the 200 gr. bullet with a max. velocity of 3150 FPS .

Also shown are the .224 Wby. Mag. and the .460 Wby. Mag. cartridges , but they use different powders .

I presume that the velocities listed were from a 26" barrel , although the .340 Wby. Mag. data shows the 250 gr. Woodleigh bullet with a maximum velocity of 2986 FPS ,
where I actually chronographed velocity in 2 different Weatherby Mark V rifles .
3090 FPS average in rifle #1 (my brother's Weatherby Custom Shop with 26" Kreiger cut-rifled barrel)
and 3040 FPS average in rifle #2 , my .340 Wby. Mag. rifle with 26" Douglas Premium XX stainless barrel .
My brother's Custom Shop rifle is a thin contour barrel mounted in a #3 grade Walnut stock with upward pressure point under barrel at fore end of stock , and it will shoot 3 bullets through the same hole at 100 yards . It is the most accurate "Magnum Class Cartridge" rifle that I have ever shot , or seen .

In my experience using the MRP powder , I have found it to be relatively stable in different temperature changes .
Now , if you can find the NORMA MRP powder ???

DMP25-06
Thanks for sharing. When I bought my first WBY a couple of generations ago, I was told that Norma used to make the Ammo for WBY, but for a long time it was not available in the US.

I failed to mention that both .340 Weatherby Magnum rifles were shooting the NORMA Factory Ammunition , 250 gr. Woodleigh SP , NOT reloads , that achieved those velocities of 3090 FPS average (Rifle #1) , and 3040 FPS average (Rifle #2).