300 weatherby

fasthorse

what are some favorite loads for the 300 weatherby???? want to use 168 to 180 grain..want to try some bergers also

I had decent success with IMR 4831 & 180 Accubonds, but the velocity out of a 24" piped Winchester chambered in 300Wby chronnoed about the same as the Hornady Custom factory ammo. 3062 fps was the fastest load I chronnoed & had a pretty stiff bolt with IMR. Got some RL-22, & IMR 7828 then sold it before developing any more loads.
The Wby sure shines for LR tho, with the 200gr Accubond.
As a side note, DON'T use Hornady brass for this cartrige! It SUCKS! For lower pressured cartriges like the -06 it's ok, but for cartriges like the 300Wby, it was junk after 3 loads. Heck even setting up the dies was a pain in the butt cause the brass was so soft. Just horrible!

Do yourself a favor, & run good brass, & look for better velocity if you have a 26" pipe or longer. Any less length than 26" just handicaps the Wby, & you might as well shoot a Win mag, or WSM, & save your money on components.

im trying to help my bro-in-law with his 300...he is wanting to shoot the 168 ( ? ) bergers in it...he has 25 boxes of factory for it..yes 25 BOXES lol..all of the factory rounds are federal

Wow!! At $84.00 a box he must be doin well! That's around $$$2 grand in ammo!!!

I've had great luck with Federal brass loading for a bunch of WSM's. I'll bet they'll be good in the Wby also.

lol...he got his at 40 a box before obama came into office lol...and yes the man has $$$ he owns an a/c company and we are in houston tx...u do the math ( its hot here )

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.