300 weatherby

Doesn't WBY now make a smaller 6.5 than the 6.5/300 WBY? 6.5 PRC/6.5 RSAUM/6.5-284 sized round?

That would be the ticket for recoil/round count/energy/speed/range balance.

Just my .02

Tod

6.5 RPM, which is ballistically a 6.5 PRC with less ammo availability. They also just came out with the 338 RPM. The 6.5 RPM and PRC are extremely similar. Maybe a touch faster iirc? But uses less available powder and more of it.

I inherited my dad's west German made mark 5 300 weatherby mag. The chamber and barrel have shot its last rounds. Completely done.

Going to be taking it to a gunsmith to give it new life. Any one have a 6.5 300 or a 270 weatherby mag ? Pros and cons ? How about any 28 nosler owners ?

Not a big fan of recoil but With the Weatherby i can make it into anything with a magnum boltface. 300-6.5, 7 mag, 27-28-30 Nosler, 300 PRC, etc.
View attachment 404911 mag
Howdy, you will never regret rebarreling back with 300. Just have it threaded for a muzzle brake. With the right brake, shooting it would fill like a 243 or maybe a 7-08. You can load bullets from 110gr. to 225. With the right bullet you can shoot anything in North America from ground hogs to grizz.👍😉

I understand the new Factory barrel they use on the mark v is fluted s/s and one of the members of this blog says it's z. Incredible barrel ! I think it was Doc Vette that said it's an excellent barrel ! You should ask him about it

Howdy, you will never regret rebarreling back with 300. Just have it threaded for a muzzle brake. With the right brake, shooting it would fill like a 243 or maybe a 7-08. You can load bullets from 110gr. to 225. With the right bullet you can shoot anything in North America from ground hogs to grizz.👍😉

There's also something to be said about sentimental value if you're that type of guy. I have a Model 7 in 308win that took me a long time to save up for years ago. Since I had it I've killed 18+ deer with it along with a ton of squirrel using cast loads. That rifle fed my growing family during our hardest years. I always had a pressure issue with the barrel though. Now that I'm a riflesmith, after finishing up a project I decided to pull the barrel on my trusty Model 7. Low and behold Remington chambered it with a cant. Yes, a cant... Not only that but the chamber was generously large. It's a wonder it shot at all!

With a wide range of reamers at my disposal the only thing I could justify turning the rifle into.... was a 308win. It just seemed right. She started that way. Served me well. And will finish that way. Except this time I'll chamber it with zero runout and perfect headspace. ;)

If you decide to keep your dad's rifle as a 300 Weatherby you'll never feel like you did wrong by it or him. It served him well and it will serve you well if not for anything, but the memories.

There's also something to be said about sentimental value if you're that type of guy. I have a Model 7 in 308win that took me a long time to save up for years ago. Since I had it I've killed 18+ deer with it along with a ton of squirrel using cast loads. That rifle fed my growing family during our hardest years. I always had a pressure issue with the barrel though. Now that I'm a riflesmith, after finishing up a project I decided to pull the barrel on my trusty Model 7. Low and behold Remington chambered it with a cant. Yes, a cant... Not only that but the chamber was generously large. It's a wonder it shot at all!

With a wide range of reamers at my disposal the only thing I could justify turning the rifle into.... was a 308win. It just seemed right. She started that way. Served me well. And will finish that way. Except this time I'll chamber it with zero runout and perfect headspace. ;)

If you decide to keep your dad's rifle as a 300 Weatherby you'll never feel like you did wrong by it or him. It served him well and it will serve you well if not for anything, but the memories.
Very good, I forgot to say also, your Dad will be smiling. I hope I'm not out of line with that statement. 🙄

So which Hammer bullet 'heavy' would you recommend for the 300 weatherby 1in9 twist 26 inch barrel? It will be used mainly for hunting.
How is your magazine room? The 199g Hammer Hunter would be the heaviest that will run in the 9" twist. The 181g Hammer Hunter would be fun, but might be too long in the nose. The 199g Hammer Hunter is actually a bit shorter nosed than the 181g Hammer Hunter.

How is your magazine room? The 199g Hammer Hunter would be the heaviest that will run in the 9" twist. The 181g Hammer Hunter would be fun, but might be too long in the nose. The 199g Hammer Hunter is actually a bit shorter nosed than the 181g Hammer Hunter.
I can get the 181 Hammer Hunters in my Mark V Box and you are correct about the fun part, will be doing some flesh with it in 2 weeks, and with the muzzle break its like shooting the 257Bee without a break, pretty quick 30 call round.

I'm going to run the factory blind box. Although the book calls for a max OAL of 3.560, I have loaded a dummy round to 3.710 and it feeds and ejects good. I'm thinking that I will use the factory reamer to chamber and it has a .361 freebore. Thats a huge jump. How tolerant are your bullets in a long freebore?

I'm going to run the factory blind box. Although the book calls for a max OAL of 3.560, I have loaded a dummy round to 3.710 and it feeds and ejects good. I'm thinking that I will use the factory reamer to chamber and it has a .361 freebore. Thats a huge jump. How tolerant are your bullets in a long freebore?
They certainly don't mind jumping. 3.7" will give you plenty of room.

I have a German made Mark V in 270wby and am a huge fan! The only thing about the W. Germany made 270s is they put too slow of a twist on it so I'm limited to shooting 130gr bullets. But 130gr at 3,375 out of a 24" barrel is pretty good medicine for deer. I'd say go to the 270wby and get a barrel with enough twist to stabilize some of the newer bullets coming out. It's a fun gun to shoot and the recoil is not bad at all.

I understand the new Factory barrel they use on the mark v is fluted s/s and one of the members of this blog says it's z. Incredible barrel ! I think it was Doc Vette that said it's an excellent barrel ! You should ask him about it
Weatherby has a few options if you rebarrel.
In stainless, it's a fluted "modified #2" contour or the Accumark contour.
In blued, you have a few more options.

Their new barrels are much better than their old ones. I was very close to having them rebarrel a rifle for me this past year, but I did get it to shoot well enough that I held on to it for now. I would have no hesitation sending one to them.