300 weatherby

I inherited my dad's west German made mark 5 300 weatherby mag. The chamber and barrel have shot its last rounds. Completely done.

Going to be taking it to a gunsmith to give it new life. Any one have a 6.5 300 or a 270 weatherby mag ? Pros and cons ? How about any 28 nosler owners ?

Not a big fan of recoil but With the Weatherby i can make it into anything with a magnum boltface. 300-6.5, 7 mag, 27-28-30 Nosler, 300 PRC, etc.
View attachment 404911 mag
Mario and several others I know are shooting the 6.5-300Wby and love them.

I shoot a 6.5LRM that is amazing and I'll be building another this year using one of Sherman's 375Rug based magnums so I can get a few more grains out of it than from the 6.5LRM.

140-160gr bullets running 3,400-3600FPS or better is just really bad medicine on game.

To stay away from overpriced WBY brass you might consider something like the 6.5-300PRC or Sherman's improved version.

Make it 300 weatherby again. Just use a muzzle brake. I have a Vanguard in 300wby that has a micro bastard 3 port brake on it and it is cake to shoot. It was a beast before the brake, but after it is probably comparable to my 257 weatherby without a brake.

Weatherby has a few options if you rebarrel.
In stainless, it's a fluted "modified #2" contour or the Accumark contour.
In blued, you have a few more options.

Their new barrels are much better than their old ones. I was very close to having them rebarrel a rifle for me this past year, but I did get it to shoot well enough that I held on to it for now. I would have no hesitation sending one to them.
Just curious as to what they would charge for a rebarrel???

Just curious as to what they would charge for a rebarrel???
Call and Ask.
I don't have the numbers written down here, but it wasn't bad at all, and if I recall they quoted 3-4 months lead time.
Of course, I was going to have them re-Cerakote the barrelled action, floor plate, etc so my personal price was higher.