7-300 weatherby?

It's a good cartridge, but it would be much easier these days to just build a .28 Nosler (virtually identical performance), since there's already lots of load data out there. Unless you just really prefer a 7x300 Wby, in which case, go for, it's a great cartridge, and you'll enjoy it.

Last edited:
well i have a Mark V that i took to Alaska and it has been in the safe since..
I am in need of a long range deer rifle and I am thinking about a rebarrel.
I am not sure if that is wise or not..I have not done that before.
thoughts?

morning, I have a 340. I would not change nothing about the caliber.
u can go 180 or lower-250gr or higher bullet weight.
there is not an animal in the continental USA, Alaska,
or in some cases Africa u can not kill. just me GBOT TUM

We spent some time with original load development and bedding & The .340 shoots really well. we are getting 3000fps with 250g barnes x. and the gun is shooting 1/2 moa @ 200 yds consistently..I have a lease in Kansas that we can shoot whitetails at really long ranges and wanted to be able to take possibly better advantage of that.
I am just looking to extend to long range.
As i said earlier this is New to me

Saw them win a lot of 1000 matches. Smallest group and aggregate score. But the 30 cals. were better on windy days. The big 38s are supposedly taking over and extending accuracy and killing abilities out past 1 & 1/2 miles. It all depends on what you want to accomplish and what you would be satisfied with. Good luck with whatever you go with.

well i have a Mark V that i took to Alaska and it has been in the safe since..
I am in need of a long range deer rifle and I am thinking about a rebarrel.
I am not sure if that is wise or not..I have not done that before.
thoughts?

There's no need to sweat the small stuff. Rebarreling an action is a super simple process when it's in the right hands. There's no need to worry or stress about it, as long as you use a reputable gunsmith. While he has the rifle, I would also have the gunsmith blueprint the action, and have him lap all 9 locking-lugs on your MK-V action for as much, and as solid and square lug contact as you can get.

Your action will be a fine candidate for a .28 Nosler, and the .28 Nosler is an excellent long range cartridge. Even though it's only been around a short time, it's proven itself to be very effective.

I am really new at this long range stuff too, but to me, high bc bullets moving fast is how to get it done. I couldn't find any info on the 7-300WM, nor does the Hodgdon online data site list the 7mm 195gr SMK. However the 180 7mm in the 28 Nosler leaves the barrel at (max listing) 3050fps. Just at a guess, the 7-300 might do better.
Roy was not happy with the 340, from what I have read. He only bested the 338WM by a small margin. The company later necked the 378 down to 338cal, and it Smoked the 340. Hodgdon does not show a listing for the 300gr 338 SMK in a 340, and what I saw was really slow, even max listing. I would go for it. Just saying.
Gregg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.