7-300 weatherby?

Lest not forget guys, this is a long range hunting site. Long Range to you might be 400-600 yards, but it's not to all. I remember the good ole days here (if I'm old enough to say that), when guys got on here to learn to push their limits. Now it seems that those guys get/got pushed off the site because of others saying they shouldn't be doing that. You wanna gripe about LR hunting, go to another site. Just because you don't (or can't)....well...:rolleyes:

Long range hunting is Brand New to me. I am kinda trying to filter through the many different perspectives and figure out where I am wanting to be in Long Range shooting and hunting..It is all pretty fascinating to me..

I am enjoying the many thoughts and oh yeah I forgot this post began with a build question..HA

And I do apologize Todd for taking it further off course. But my advice about weeding through the "info" and figuring out where you belong or want to be is this: Do not let others dictate limits to you, that's totally up to you!
Good luck with your decision.

About everything I see said on here is true to the right people. Like I, and others have said, It all depends on what you would like to accomplish, to each his own. In the Sniper world many keep trying to get or hold the world record for the farthest enemy kill. And there is always going to be a long range hunter that wants to hold the record for the farthest animal killed; That includes each big game animal record, Bear, elk, antelope, sheep ECT. I know guys that won't shoot at a deer that is 200 yards away. And I think that is wonderful that a hunter knows his limitations. It don't make him less of a hunter or a SHOOTER!, hell he may be a better shot than most of us, but he knows his limitations with his equipment. As I said the farther out the bigger you have to go. Yes the wind & gravity plays with any projectile, but the lighter will be pushed by wind the most and the slower they go the more they will be played with by wind, gravity, and even the rotation of the earth. Not trying to be a know it all but this type of hunting or shooting was totally beyond belief when I was being told and shown many of these things. I will be the first to admit there is a lot more things that are involved that I'm not even aware of. So in the end ,before you can build that rifle you should look at all the types of hunting and shooting and know a little bit about them before you make a choice in a rifle that you may later regret. See it on here all the time. Someone wants to change barrels and calibers, so this isn't off the subject, it is the subject and may help someone to not choose the wrong caliber if they want to shoot way out there, or maybe not so far. Take time to think about what you would really like to do, as far as shooting goes, before taking that very important step of having a gun built or buying one ready to go. My wife would send me packing if I put thousands into a rifle, and then told her that I didn't think it was what I wanted, and was going to build or buy another one!!! Some want hamburgers some want hotdogs , you can buy either. Good luck hunting and be safe.

Y

You must smell pretty good!! HA, HA, HA; Just joking, but that is what they do, shoot form one mountain to another. Steep side hills, that is the only way you can see them. If it was flat you would not be able to see through the trees, unless you were in wide open space, not the case here. In PA they shoot the same way but usually not as far, the places they hunt elk out west have bigger mountains and are farther apart. They are not like the TV shows where you can circle around to another hill and be closer. Even here in PA , if you move sometimes as little as a few yards in any one direction you lose sight of the animal that's on the opposite mountain. After the kill most times you will need to communicate with someone from where the shot was made from to people retrieving the animal on the other mountain because you have no way of telling where you are in relation to where the animal is laying dead. This is done by two way radios or if you can get service , by phone. You can not hunt places like I am talking about by yourself, if you were lucky enough to kill something you would probably never be able to find it. This is what they like to do and they know what their weapons are capable of. If a shot is questionable they will move off the animal and find something the same range and take a sighter or two. That is all that is needed if you see where you hit, and they can with the glasses that they have. Once they are on target they move back onto the animal, next shot is usually a killer no matter how far! It is something you can't really comprehend until you see them do it. It is technology and they know how to apply it. And this is there hobby, and they love it and have perfected it. You may not agree, but then again you probably never seen it done in Alabama, because it doesn't have the mountains PA does. Here in PA this type of hunting is BIG!! Good luck in the way each of you hunt, and try not to put someone elses way of hunting down.
I definitely wasn't putting anyone's way of hunting down. My way of hunting is the same as your's, just different states, and different terrain. I've seen and done alot in my short life, but hunting out west is not one of them, although I would love to one day. I have climbed mountains (actually scaled rock faces) in the Appalachians when I was younger. So I have a pretty good grasp and concept of mountains and how people have to hunt them. There are mountains in north Alabama (and many huge hills that are basically rounded grassy mountains in many other parts of the state), and places in Alabama where you can shoot and see several miles, but they are not typically accessible in what folks consider "hunting land" down here. Most folks down here prefer the thick woods to hillside hunting. This is all fine, but it's not my preference. I prefer to hunt long range. Many hunters in Alabama have never shot a deer over 100 yards in their whole lives, and think 300 yards is "long range". I'm far from your typical Alabama deer hunter. I was simply stating that there are SOME people who think that way.

Last edited:
Well said, been doing it for 45 or so years, it is more of an art then shooting. Most deer are killed by the man in the bino,s Where we hunt it is across a road , a creek and half way up the other mountain! I could also say if you are a woods hunter and miss a deer standing at 200 or less you should not be in the woods Just my opinion
While you were trying to take a shot that you thought I would find insulting, you won't get an argument from me! I agree completely. I don't miss. I also don't pull the trigger unless I'm 110% confident in my shot, regardless of distance.

Everyone has misconstrued what I said. I never said anyone shouldn't shoot that far. I'm all about LR shooting. I was just making a joke that if your game animal is 1,700 yards away, and you can't sneak up any closer, then you probably shouldn't be hunting. It had nothing to do with shooting at that distance, or where we hunt, or the terrain of where we hunt, I was referring to hunting skills in general, and was making a joke, but I guess it went over everyone's heads. Maybe I should have been more clear. Next time I will be sure to be.

Last edited:
I definitely wasn't putting anyone's way of hunting down. My way of hunting is the same as your's, just different states, and different terrain. I've seen and done alot in my short life, but hunting out west is not one of them, although I would love to one day. I have climbed mountains (actually scaled rock faces) in the Appalachians when I was younger. So I have a pretty good grasp and concept of mountains and how people have to hunt them. There are mountains in north Alabama (and many huge hills that are basically rounded grassy mountains in many other parts of the state), and places in Alabama where you can shoot and see several miles, but they are not typically accessible in what folks consider "hunting land" down here. Most folks down here prefer the thick woods to hillside hunting. This is all fine, but it's not my preference. I prefer to hunt long range. Many hunters in Alabama have never shot a deer over 100 yards in their whole lives, and think 300 yards is "long range". I'm far from your typical Alabama deer hunter. I was simply stating that there are SOME people who think that way.
You have a lot more guts than me. I could never climb up something like that. I have relations in LA, going trough Alabama I remember seeing the mountains getting lower and lower as we drove. Like I said this type of hunting is high tec. and is not for everyone , a lot of people in PA don't consider this hunting, or fair chase. But it is something to see to believe . I am fascinated with it and have enough equipment to do long range hunting out to 1300 yards, at that distance I have shot oak leaves laying on the snow. I have my gun sighted in out to 1550 yards, at that distance I am out of scope adjustment with my Leupold VX 3, but I am not sure of the energy that is left, it still kicks up dirt that far but from 1500 yards to 1550 the bullet drops 6 feet. It is really slowing down at that distance; But out to 1300 yards it will smoke a rock and is still shooting pretty flat I would not be afraid to shoot anything this far. It is a 308 Norma Mag. and I shoot 178gr. Amax. I tried larger bullets and same sized(180 gr.) but this one shot the tightest group at 300 yards, averaged 2.5 inches, it is traveling at an average speed of 3225 fps. 76 grains of IMR 4831 checked it through a chronograph and this was the average speed of 5 shots. Good luck hunting and shooting in 2018.

You have a lot more guts than me. I could never climb up something like that. I have relations in LA, going trough Alabama I remember seeing the mountains getting lower and lower as we drove. Like I said this type of hunting is high tec. and is not for everyone , a lot of people in PA don't consider this hunting, or fair chase. But it is something to see to believe . I am fascinated with it and have enough equipment to do long range hunting out to 1300 yards, at that distance I have shot oak leaves laying on the snow. I have my gun sighted in out to 1550 yards, at that distance I am out of scope adjustment with my Leupold VX 3, but I am not sure of the energy that is left, it still kicks up dirt that far but from 1500 yards to 1550 the bullet drops 6 feet. It is really slowing down at that distance; But out to 1300 yards it will smoke a rock and is still shooting pretty flat I would not be afraid to shoot anything this far. It is a 308 Norma Mag. and I shoot 178gr. Amax. I tried larger bullets and same sized(180 gr.) but this one shot the tightest group at 300 yards, averaged 2.5 inches, it is traveling at an average speed of 3225 fps. 76 grains of IMR 4831 checked it through a chronograph and this was the average speed of 5 shots. Good luck hunting and shooting in 2018.
.308 Norma Mag is essentially a .30 caliber version of the .338 WinMag, right? You were talking about the quick drop-off after 1,500, have you tried any of the heavier bullets and slower powders, like the Berger 215 Hybrids with H1000 to help extend your range? I know the muzzle velocity will suffer some, but the higher BC will help you reach out a bit further.

.308 Norma Mag is essentially a .30 caliber version of the .338 WinMag, right? You were talking about the quick drop-off after 1,500, have you tried any of the heavier bullets and slower powders, like the Berger 215 Hybrids with H1000 to help extend your range? I know the muzzle velocity will suffer some, but the higher BC will help you reach out a bit further.
You are correct : The powders listed for its best loads are 4350, 4831 that I use and H450. The 300 win. mag. and the 308 Norma mag. were both developed on the 338 Win. case and loads and fps are very close to each other. The shoulder on the win. was moved forward to lengthen the case capacity and left a shorter neck. I also have a carry gun in the 300 Win. mag. and use this powder in both of them. I load 77gr. of 4831 and a 168 gr. Amax in the 300 Win. mag. manual puts it at about 3200 fps.; I tried heavier bullets when I was working up a load, but the Hornady 178gr. Amax beat the next best ( 190 gr. Sierra BT match king ) by a smaller group of over 1" at 300 yards, so I went with the bullet that shot the best group. I don't think I would have much more to gain, the heavier bullets may give me a few more yards down range? But they will also be starting out of the tube at a slower speed. I am satisfied with the distance it shoots. If I want to ever shoot farther I will go bigger, 338- 378 or the big 50 cal.; I don't see that happening. Hope your out of the snow for the rest of the year. Good luck hunting and shooting in 2018.

Well theres a big difference between shooting long range, and hunting long range, especially in the east in places like PA.
We can pick the day, the place, and even the conditions when we just go shoot, at least when shooting for personal entertainment.
But hunting in PA is only a 2 week season, and what you get for weather and conditions is what you have to deal with.
And even more unfair is we don't get to pick the spot we would like for the animal to show up as we do when we target shoot.
Many of the valleys have large streams or even rivers. And those are some of the best places, because the side hills are as a rule higher and steeper. But you might also find at the time of year the season comes in that you cant see across due to fog and haze caused by the warmer water on many days, especially in the early morning.
So as a result, its often not worth the time to go to a spot if you cant glass when you get there anyway, and those are the spots offering the longer shots.
So it all sounds good to talk about the bigger guns, but reality is you might not get to use them anyway. I know guys who have built very expensive 50s on large Bat actions, and they haven't killed a deer (at least so far) with them they couldn't have killed with a 7 rem mag.
I have a 338 Big Baer and in the 6 or 7 seasons ive owned it weve killed one deer with it we (maybe) couldnt have gotten without it.
Id say at least 75% of the deer killed are well under 1000 yds in PA.
So yes, in that respect a 7x300 or any of the larger 7mms will suffice just fine.
But the 300 Norma, or a 300 ultra will do it better, and also allow for a little longer shot should the opportunity come along.
When i built my 7x300 neither of those guns existed, but now they do, and i feel it would be wise to consider one of them, especially for a person who might just have one l/r gun.
Now as for PA, i was born and lived there for 64 of my now (almost) 83 years.
I'm still a property owner there and a member of a family owned camp.
The same mountain chain runs from Maine to Georgia, and i need to be very carefull about keeping my vehicle on the road as i drive up there. Reason being that NC VA WVA and even MD, all have excellent oppurtunities to shoot long range, and i tend to gawk at them as i drive.
Difference is, PA saw to it to keep several million acres of open public owned land, and the PA Game Commission did likewise by buying up lots of land over many years. So there are millions of acres open for public use and hunting, including long range hunting in some areas.
Ive been west on vacations and on hunting trips, and the hunting
method for long range is in many ways the same, but other ways different. One of the differences is that there will be almost no opportunity to spot an animal and than get closer for a shot in PA.
The terrain where most of that type hunting takes place simply wont allow for doing that.
So you will set up at a location and glass, and stay put for possibly the whole day or at least a major portion of it, and if you shoot, you will shoot from where you are.
If you move, its to another location offering much the same type situation.
So that explains the need or at least the desire for the larger guns at some of those places, as the distances can vary drasticly at the same location.

Very well covered YO : Keep your eyes on the road your hands upon the wheel. Good luck hunting & shooting and driving in 2018.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts